Artifacts that Indy could find in Indy 5

The Tingler

Both Lucas and Spielberg have made it clear that they only want original ideas for MacGuffins if they're going to make a movie out of them. While a Crystal Skull did feature in Max McCoy's Indy books, it was a completely different skull in both appearance and theme.

So if it's been hunted by Indy in a) a game, b) a book, c) a comic book or d) a fan script/film/radio show it's probably not going to get done.

Stork

$101,000,000... yeah I think there will be another...

I think it is safe to say that $101,000,000 on opening weekend means Indy 5 will be made. Now what will Indy 5 be about is anyones guess. But I venture to say that we should be seen a son/dad flick much like Last Crusade, but with a passing of the torch (Whip and hat) feel to it.
First, it will be made late 50's early 60's adding some age and experience to Mutt. Indy will also be older and thus more akin to passing on his legacy. So question is what should they go after? I think it should be something that will **** off the commies, either Chinese or Russians.
Russia you have the famous Amber room. with Nazi ties, etc. could be fun.
And China, yes I have to say it, Emperors tomb (lets just pretend there was no game), It is a very good way to build a plot. The Emperor wanted immortality, and he found it, but its secrets are deep with in the tomb.
China claims that they have yet to uncover the entrance of the Tomb let alone know what is inside.... or are they hiding something? Maybe they have already been inside and found nothing, because Indiana Jones and Jr. where there first. So for China, to save themselves from embarrassment, claim they have yet to find the tomb, that is until they retrieve the secret to immortality. Which could lead to a modern Indiana Jones!(y)
Anyway that's my two cents, I'm already starting to write the book... what should it be called..hmmm
Stork:whip:

adam_jones

I think it would be good to have the spear of destiny but you need some other artefacts to reach it, i.e. a 'key' of sorts, similar to the staff of Ra head piece to find the ark. that way we have two mcguffin searches, the 'key' like in Raiders and eventually the spear, in a similar manner to the 3 tasks before the grail. best of both worlds.
Adam
You wana be a good archaeologist..you gotta get out of the library-Indiana Jones:whip:

Well, I?ve spent a little time looking for that direct quote Tingler?I couldn?t find it?can you post it? Thank you?What I did find is Lucas and Spielberg saying ? The MacGuffin is the key. Before the Sankara stones [which became the focus of the second film in the trilogy, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom], we'd had ideas for all kinds of other MacGuffin things. Some of them were original ones, that were in the [proposed] stories that I did.?

With that said, I believe if another film is made it could involve an item that was used before?However, I don?t think it is very likely?The only four of the macguffins that I think could even be used in a film are The Spear of Destiny, the Golden fleece, Atlantis or Noah?s ark?The rest are too thin.

Here are just a few other ones that I don?t think have been used before. and have a few or Some could have supernatural powers or be worked into a religious significance...

The Tree of Life
The Book of the Dead
The Book of Thoth
Shangri La
The True Cross
Excalibur
Achilles' Armor
Hades Helmet
The Golden Apple
The Three Sacred Treasures of Japan
A newly found Antikythera Mechanism
Coso Artifact or some other Out-of-time /Out-of-place artifact

Check these out?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mythical_objects

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-place_artifact

Food for thought!!! :gun:

Gamingboy

I was looking up stuff today on Wikipedia (seriously, you get lost in there) and found something interesting: the tale of Xu Fu. He was a Chinese explorer a while back that left for "Mount Penglai" to receive the Elixir of Life from the 8 Immortals of the mountain. There is much discussion of where "Penglai" is/was, but many say it's Japan. Another thing is that supposedly each of the "Eight Immortals" had an object of power: a tablet that cleansed the environment, a fan that could raise the dead, etc.

Sounds like a damn good thing to look for to me. Could even be combined with the Yamashiita Gold Legend (the things from Mount Penglai were hidden with the gold, perhaps?)

The Tingler

Peng Lai mountain features strongly in the stories of the First Emperor - and also in Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb.

Well, I’ve spent a little time looking for that direct quote Tingler…I couldn’t find it…can you post it?

Heh, well I'm sure they've said it before - but I actually read it in a interview with Hal Barwood (an old friend of Spielberg and Lucas and project director of Fate of Atlantis and Infernal Machine, if you don't know). This was in this month's issue of Retro Gamer magazine! I might get it just for this article, it was great!

If it wasn't almost certainly being done in the next Indiana Jones game, I'd say the Staff of Moses/Aaron was absolutely perfect. I've just put up a little history of its coolness here. It caused a lot of the Seven Plagues of Egypt (including the River of Blood, turning the skies dark, and the fiery hail from the sky), helped win a great battle and parted the Red Sea. It is described a couple times as the Power of God - by God Himself no less!

It also works thematically with Indy, for it deals with Snakes several times, even being turned into a giant serpent at one point, and was supposedly placed instead the Ark of the Covenant!

And if you still don't think it's cool, check out this picture:

staff3.jpg

Last edited:

Jackson

Indy 5 title

The title for Indy 5 should be

Indiana Jones and the lost library of the mayan itza.

There are only three mayan books left in the world. The rest were burned by bishop de landa according to history. However the maya of tayasal had thousands of the ancient books shipped deep into the jungles of southern Belize to hide them from the spanish. When the library is found the knowlege gained will help bring the return of Kulkucan the ancient mayan god. The lost mayan library is a true legend. Its a amazing story. Type it into google.

Jackson (daryl)

agentsands77

Gamingboy said:
It is said that as the tide began to turn in WWII, a Japanese General named Yamas*h*i*t*a hid loot that had been stolen from China, Korea, Philippines, India, etc. in a small series of caverns and caves somewhere in the most remote areas of the Philippines, both out of spite and for possible retrieval if he survived the war. Some say these caves are just a huge hoax, since it would have made more sense to hide the loot in Japan or possibly Southeast China. Some say that it was true, but that gangsters and crooked politicians long ago looted it. Some say that to this day, Yamas*h*i*ta's gold lays undiscovered in the Filipino rain forest....
Not a bad idea. Perhaps among the loot is an artifact that leads to a source of great power... the palace of the Dragon King, where the tide stones are kept?

|ZiR| said:
I think it's best to steer clear from artifacts with strong biblical themes. I know that's what most people want, but we've done that twice already.
I agree. If it is going to be a Biblical artifact, it'll have to be framed in a very different manner from RAIDERS and CRUSADE.

bflah91989

I am a big fan of Irish Mythology, and would like to see Irish Mythology play a role in an Indiana Jones adventure. I had attempted to turn the Tain Bo Cuailnge into an Indy story, but could not figure it out, but in the hands of a good author I think it could work.

In the Tain bo Cuailnge the Brown Bull
dies from wounds sustained in the fight with Finnbeannacht
. However, the purpose of the cattle raid was for wealth and power. So I can imagine the Brown Bull (Donn Cuailnge) as an object that could deliver wealth and power to however has it. Indy could be in race between both the Irish who want to unite Ireland, and the British who want to exploit the power.

The only problem with the Brown Bull is no one has really heard of the Tain bo Cuailnge, and there is the lack of foreign locations outside of Ireland.

Another artifact that Indiana Jones could search for is Cu Chulainn's gae bolg, but I cannot think of a good back story for that.

IndyMac

Well, I know I'll have a lot of people saying no to this... But Atlantis is the most perfect thing for Indy to go after. From a purely movie making perspective, the action set pieces would be awesome and lavish, thew history of whether its true or not could come into play, Plato was real, therefore giving it context, and most of all, you could figure out what exactly is important about Atlantis.

Now I know that it's already been done in games and such, but you wouldn't have to follow the game, you could do something new, or try a different story element in Atlantis. Heck, maybe even just straight up adapt it. It's a full on awesome idea, and if they wanted something people would see. It's this.

agentsands77

Eh, I have no interest in revisiting Atlantis after FATE OF ATLANTIS did it (and a straight-up FATE OF ATLANTIS adaptation strikes me as terribly boring... if I'm going to have an Indy movie, I want it to do something I've not seen before).

I think we can move on to other ideas. There are more interesting quests to be derived from Greek culture than Atlantis.

Last edited:
I agree about Greece?There are some many, MANY legends surrounding that part of the world, that I don?t think we need Atlantis. The Golden apple, the tree of life, Hades Helmet?

Mount Penglai would be perfect?BUT, doesn't it sound a lot like the plot of the Mummy 3?
:confused:

Raiders90

the Book of Life, which supposedly has all the names and live stories of those born, dead, and yet to born written in it.

Or the Spear of Destiny. It is said that the Nazis wanted it because it rendered it's bearer invincible

Or the Garden of Eden

Or the Pushpa Vimana, which perhaps the Soviets would try to recover so they could be given the ability of space travel

Or the Chariot of the Sun, which can traverse the sky and the heavens

Or the Palladium. Legend says whatever army holds the Palladium would never lose a war. It supposedly worked for the Trojans until they lost it.

Or the Tablets of Destiny, which are a set of clay tablets which hold the power of creation and destruction. The Gods themselves were supposedly afraid of the Tablets falling into the wrong hands as they held the power to destroy all of creation and even the gods themselves.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I believe the Garden of Eden tied in with Excalibur (there are stories that Excalibur is the Sword of Flame, the same sword used by an angel who guarded the Garden of Eden when Adam and Eve were cast out). Excalibur could be used as a key to finding and opening the gates of Eden. If they don't use it for Indy V, I sure as hell will.

agentsands77

Violet Indy said:
I believe the Garden of Eden tied in with Excalibur (there are stories that Excalibur is the Sword of Flame, the same sword used by an angel who guarded the Garden of Eden when Adam and Eve were cast out). Excalibur could be used as a key to finding and opening the gates of Eden. If they don't use it for Indy V, I sure as hell will.
The problem with Eden is... where is it? If we're going to take the Biblical account as true, wouldn't the Garden have been destroyed in the Flood?

Last edited:

agentsands77

Raiders112390 said:
the Book of Life, which supposedly has all the names and live stories of those born, dead, and yet to born written in it.
It's been done before, in INDIANA JONES AND THE SECRET OF THE SPHINX.

Raiders112390 said:
Or the Spear of Destiny. It is said that the Nazis wanted it because it rendered it's bearer invincible
Also done before, in INDIANA JONES AND THE SPEAR OF DESTINY. Frankly, after the very Christ-centric Grail story, I think we can avoid another Christ-centric relic.

Raiders112390 said:
Or the Pushpa Vimana, which perhaps the Soviets would try to recover so they could be given the ability of space travel
Interesting suggestion, and great for an EU story, but I'd discount it for a film purely because we already had a Hinduism-based adventure.

Raiders112390 said:
Or the Chariot of the Sun, which can traverse the sky and the heavens
Interesting suggestion. Since this image appears in multiple mythologies, which one were you thinking of?

Raiders112390 said:
Or the Palladium. Legend says whatever army holds the Palladium would never lose a war. It supposedly worked for the Trojans until they lost it.
Could work.

Raiders112390 said:
Or the Tablets of Destiny, which are a set of clay tablets which hold the power of creation and destruction. The Gods themselves were supposedly afraid of the Tablets falling into the wrong hands as they held the power to destroy all of creation and even the gods themselves.
I like this idea. It employs a mythological system not yet seen in the films themselves.

theneogon

What do you guys think about doing a Indy movie about the Lost Legion, the rumored Roman Legion that made it to China? It could be in 1954 or something, set before the theory is proposed in 1955. Thus Indy can be tracking down what happened to this lost legion with no idea that it will end in China. This would bring him in a great adventure across Asia. The legion could have been carrying some artifact that Indy wants, and he is trying to locate it's final resting place. I'm not sure what the supernatural element can be yet. Maybe something from Chinese mythology?

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-37148.html

Avilos

I really like that idea theneogon! It touches on two cultures which the films have never covered before.