Best moments in Temple Of Doom

Joosse

I think the opening scene, from Anything Goes right up to the moment that Indy shuts the door on the aeroplane, after wich we see Lao Che laughing.

I frequently just pop the DVD in to watch just that bit if I have some time to spare...:D

Sam Falco

I always LOVED the scene where Indy runs into the two Thugees on top of the cliff, realizes his gun is gone and kicks their asses anyways. You got all the classic elements of Indy in one sequence. Badass moment turned comedy, awesome improvised moment of badassery (yes its a word I made up), whip action, and last but not least, the comedic payoff of him getting chased.

Indy Byrd

Hard to thik of just one. TOD is my favorite Indy film (all though it is not the favo of several on here, but to each his/her own) but it has a great deal of senimental value that some of the others don't have. (KOTCS is the one I took my son to see, wearing his fedora and all!! so that has a bit of value as well).

But to the question at hand, I would say the entrence to the Mayapore villiage, that scene was really well filmed. I also like the escape from the plane, and the scene with Indy and the two Thugees on the cliff with his missing gun. I guess I like the movie from opening scence to closing scene.

I also like the jungle scene with Indy and Shorty playing poker! (y) (y)

aJakeinthePlane

Sam Falco said:
I always LOVED the scene where Indy runs into the two Thugees on top of the cliff, realizes his gun is gone and kicks their asses anyways. You got all the classic elements of Indy in one sequence. Badass moment turned comedy, awesome improvised moment of badassery (yes its a word I made up), whip action, and last but not least, the comedic payoff of him getting chased.

The look on his face is with out a doubt my favorite close up in the trilogy.

Indy's brother

I think I may have said this a while back in a similar thread, but here goes. After Indy gets poisoned and runs out onto the dance floor. He is blocked by the chorus line and does this really hilarious "dance", waving his hands from left to right in the air. I'm fairly sure it was supposed to be funny, but even if it wasn't, it still gets a chuckle out of me...every frickin' time!!!

And of course the entire "spike room" bit.

Chicago Jones

the sequence when Indy frees the slaves! I remember as a kid I would reenact that scene millions of times! It is one of the best depictions as a "hero" in my book, and I gotta a book!

Driftwoodv.7

I remember growing up, I was always terrified of the sacrifice scene, especially the heart-ripping, and I never watched it. But then, when I finally did, I felt so brave and it therefore became my favorite scene, and it just kinda stuck. I think of ToD, I think of the bridge scene and the heart-ripping. Those are easily my favorite scenes. But there are a LOT of honorable mentions for this installment. Playing poker in the jungle, the plane escape, the poison/diamond swap, etc. etc. It's my favorite Indy film.

Cagefighterkip

top 5:

1) indy taking the sankara stones from the altar, great music, great mood, sceneary -- its perfect.
2) the conveyer belt fight w/the large thugee
3) the bridge sequence, everything is great, the humors good, indys lines are the best, especially my fave the deadpan "aw $#!t" is classic
4) the scene where indy ziplines on the rope into the mine cart... i think thats badass, im not a big fan of the mine cart scene itself but i love that scene.
5) the opening club obi-wan scene from the musical number, to the diamond exchange to the crash out the window and all of it :)

RaideroftheArk

DarthGemni said:
The scene right after where Willie says "Now let's get out of here" and Indy says "Right, all of us".
When it cuts to the mines, and the kid falls, and the guard picks him up and Indy is standing there in silhouette, John William's music blaring. Then showing the kids and hearing the punches, and the guard slides across the ground unconcious. Then the kids looking back at Indy, smiling with renewed hope they are getting out of it all alive. I still get goose bumps. That's actually one of my favorite scenes out of all 4 movies. Classic Saturday afternoon serial stuff, and classic Indy.

100% agree with this, awesome scene along with:

"There's nobody here." "No, I'm here!"

"WE ARE GOING TO DIE!"

"Fortune and Glory kid, Fortune and Glory"
My all time favorite part of the entire movie...I love the way Ford delivers this line. It really sets the tone for the up and coming adventure.

This entire movie is great...I usually can't decide if this or ROTLA is my favorite Indy adventure.

Last edited:

Insomniac

DarthGemni said:
The scene right after where Willie says "Now let's get out of here" and Indy says "Right, all of us".
When it cuts to the mines, and the kid falls, and the guard picks him up and Indy is standing there in silhouette, John William's music blaring. Then showing the kids and hearing the punches, and the guard slides across the ground unconcious. Then the kids looking back at Indy, smiling with renewed hope they are getting out of it all alive. I still get goose bumps. That's actually one of my favorite scenes out of all 4 movies. Classic Saturday afternoon serial stuff, and classic Indy.
I totally agree!
It's hard to get any better than this!!! PURE SPIELBURG!!!

Saber79

DarthGemni said:

Absolutely my favorite part. especially when all you see is the silhouette of Indy, then the camera zooms in on him, totally pissed. That was classic Indy at his most bad-assed moment. Absolutely love that scene. All about the hero has come to save the day.

I also love the escape from the temple/mine car chase/and bridge scene. Everything about that is pure Indy...Indy getting his ass kicked, then kicking ass, narrow escapes, chase and the tension on the bridge is absolutely breathtaking.

The comedy in the movie also does it for me...(Willie running around in the jungle while Indy and Shorty are arguing about poker etc)

Indy fan 235

There are many, but three that I really love are:

when they are on the plane and are asleep, Shorty is sleeping next to Indy. It's so cute and reminds me of how I wished my dad was around more as a kid.

at the camp when they are playing poker and accusing each other of cheating and Willie is running around screaming.

when the two Thuggee guards attack Indy as he runs to the rope bridge and he checks for his gun. He gives that great half cocky smile and goes into action.

So great.

WrathofGod

Sam Falco said:

That's a great scene, now that's how you do an homage to the previous work.:whip:

But you've got to love the room of spikes, so much tension, so much suspense, now that's a boobytrap!.

TheDarkCrusader

-The enclosing ceiling with spikes ("we are going to die")

-Indy,Willie and Shorty encountering the Thuggee cult during the ritual human sacrifice.

-Indy fighting the Thuggee cult member (played by Pat Roach) on the conveyor belt

-Indy cutting the rope of the bridge to break it apart after being outnumbered

michael

Indy: Willie, Willie...what is that, is that short for something?

Willie: Willie happens to be my professional name, INDIANA!

Short Round: Hey Lady! You call him Doctor Jones!

Indy: MY professional name. *flips nickel*

badass.

DoomsdayFAN

Spike Room with Willie taking her sweet ass time was funny as hell. And the Mine Cart at the end was insane! But all in all, the whole thing was great! I loved it all.

The Drifter

I read this thread and sat down to think of my favorite moments in Temple of Doom. Damn, it's hard to do! I love this movie so much, and there's so many different scenes that I love.
I'm going to pass over the usual scenes such as the rope bridge, Mola Ram's heart rip, etc, and go for the smaller parts that stand out for me.

1- When Willie, Shortie, and Indy are shooting down the rapids in the raft. Willie gets mad and screams "I hate water, I hate being wet, and I hate YOU!"
The way she says the word 'you' puts a smile on my face every time.

2-The way the shaman explains what happened when the stones were stolen. And when he talks about 'darkness'. The way he uses his hands to slowly cover his eyes. I read this was improvised by the man playing the shaman.

3-All the activity in Pankot Palace really sets the mood of the place.
The chanting harem girls, the group of people singing and playing music. It's all so exotic and wonderful. It really makes me feel like I'm there.

4-"WE ARE GOING TO DIE!" Enough said!

5-When Mola Ram laughs and escapes through the trap door. That's so chilling.

AndyLGR

The scene where Indy is on the wooden walkways above the mine and he whip swings across to the other side.

mola rams introduction. As an 11 year old I thought he was the scariest villain I'd ever seen.

I would also go so far as to say that I really think from Indys return from the black sleep - all the way through to where he finally climbs up the bridge to reveal the sankara stone, for me anyway, is the perfect definition and performance of a movie action hero in every sense, the performance, how good he looks, the stunts..... Everything.