Temple of Doom 30th Anniversary

AndyLGR

Hearing stories of cinemas showing films all hours of the day takes me back to the days when most cinemas in the country had between 1 and 3 screens and the blockbusters of the time seemed to hang around on the screen for months. Back in the days when you had to queue to guarantee a seat. I remember my dad taking me to see Superman II, it took us 2 go's to get in to see it as the queues were so long and we missed out on getting in to the cinema first time. These days the blockbusters seem to be gone so quickly and before you know it they're out on dvd.

what's the deal with the maharaja?

I know in my head that he's a boy but his feminine-type clothing and his voice sounding like it was dubbed by an actress would throw an unwary viewer for a loop.

Goodeknight

SarahHighland said:
what's the deal with the maharaja?

I know in my head that he's a boy but his feminine-type clothing and his voice sounding like it was dubbed by an actress would throw an unwary viewer for a loop.

Hmmm... Interesting first post.

I'd say his "deal" is that he's Indian. I never thought anything of it. "You dress like a girl" doesn't really apply when every other boy in the ruling class would dress the same way. And I'd say his voice is appropriate to his age, nationality, and social status.

Stoo

Phlip said:
Cannot believe Princess Diana went to see it. I was gonna say I bet she was disgusted by the violence, but then I remembered it would be the crappy UK cut version.
Diana: Oh, Charles, this is simply dreadful!
Charles: Hush, dear. I think it's a cracking film!
AndyLGR said:
Hearing stories of cinemas showing films all hours of the day takes me back to the days when most cinemas in the country had between 1 and 3 screens and the blockbusters of the time seemed to hang around on the screen for months. Back in the days when you had to queue to guarantee a seat.
I don't recall any of my local theatres showing a movie 24 hrs a day in the '80s (not even for "Empire Strikes Back" or "Return of the Jedi" and those line-ups were lo-o-o-o-ong!). Too bad nobody knows which L.A. theatre did it for Indy 2.

Here's the interior of the Imperial where I saw "Doom" the first 2 times (& "Raiders" the 1st time + a long list of others movies). This year it is 101 years old:

ImperialTheatre_zps36ca7ba9.jpg

micsteam

Stoo, your Imperial is gorgeous !!! I'm a New Yorker and I say it reminds of Radio City Music Hall !!! Looks like you could hold the Oscars there !!! How old is the theater ?? I miss the old one/two screen theaters but once we hit the 80's especially the mid 80's if a theater was to survive they had to carry multiple pictures. I saw Star Wars ( the first one or episode whatever the #### !!) in the balcony section and that theater wasn't quite as nice as this !!! I hope it is a landmark or is historically protected. :hat:

Stoo

For the people who weren't around in 1984 and keep claiming that "Doom" was universally panned by critics, here's a review which gives it 4 out of 5 stars and calls the film a 'masterpiece'.:whip:

24 May, 1984 - The Gazette, Montreal

84_Doom_5_small_zps8003a093.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Rating: ****

'Doom' is gory, but good
New Indiana Jones saga a violent masterpiece

By BRUCE BAILEY
Gazette Film Critic

With a title like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom you know right away that this film has just got to be pure hokum. And that's exactly what it is - cackling villains and all.

But this is high-tech, state-of-the-art hokum with an almost non-stop intensity that beats anything of this sort that has ever been seen on the screen before.

The latest effort by director Steven Spielberg and producer George Lucas is significantly faster-paced than Raiders of the Lost Ark, the first account of the exotic cliff-hanging adventures of intrepid archeologist Indiana Jones.

Even more so than its predecessor, Temple of Doom is built on the assumption that its audience has the attention span of chipmunks on speed. It has very few sustained conversations - but even when the characters actually do get down to a semblance of a discussion, the film-makers feel obliged to distract us with visual zingers.

As guests chat during an elegant dinner party, for example, we watch the heroine turn a whiter shade of pale as she's served eyeball soup while her fellow diners munch on beetles, down live eels cut from a snake's gullet, and dig into chilled monkey brains still sitting in hairy, grinning skulls.

The best that can be said for all that is that once kids see it, you'll never hear them complain about the school cafeteria.

Far more disturbing is the violence and for in the rest of the film. We're confronted with a still-pumping heart yanked from a man's chest just before he's set on fire, hordes of children being beaten by thugs, giant cockroaches crawling all over the heroine, and bad guys impaled, shot, falling to their deaths or flattened by a stone crusher.

Any kid who gets through it all may have to be scraped off from under his seat like so much used bubblegum.

There's no denying that, with a $27 million price tag, this film is extremely well-made, a masterpiece of editing, cinematography and special effects.

Supposedly beginning one year before the events of Raiders of the Lost Ark, it's the story of the adventures of Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford), Shanghai nightclub singer-owner Willie Scot (Kate Capshaw) and orphan Short Round (12-year-old Saigon refugee Ke Huy Quan). Why Indiana drags them along on his airborne escape from a bunch of Chinese hoods is anybody's guess - but that's not the last time the screenwriters throw logic to the winds.

Anyway, the three of them find themselves in an Indian village that's fallen on hard times ever since of band of cultists kidnapped all their children and stole a magic sacred stone. Without too much persuasion, Indiana again enlists the company of his pals and heads off to save the day.

Along the way, of course, there's a time for a little love interest. But to say the least, feminists aren't going to be at all happy with Indy's latest lady-love.

In the last film, the heroine (Karen Allen) was a stony-willed, confident, intelligent and accomplished owner of a Nepalese bar. Her successor, Willie, is a classic flibbertigibbet, frightened of her own shadow and unduly upset whenever one of her painted fingernails gets chipped.

You almost expect her to sigh, "My hero!" when she presses into Indy for the inevitable final clinch.

Parent's guide: frequent and extreme violence and gore; very occasional mild profanity; no sexual sequences.

AndyLGR

Thanks for that review Stoo, its great to read old reviews of films from the time they came out. Interesting that they felt Raiders is slower paced than TOD, I feel the opposite.

micsteam

The pace was fast in how they shot Raiders and I think it complemented everything and made Raiders what it is. When it was time to start shooting TOD they knew they had magic in a bottle and had the luxury of developing ideas and I don't think their schedule was as rigid/tight as Raiders. Either way I was happy with both outcomes.

Stoo

AndyLGR said:
Thanks for that review Stoo, its great to read old reviews of films from the time they came out. Interesting that they felt Raiders is slower paced than TOD, I feel the opposite.
Glad you enjoyed it, Andy. More clippings to come! By the way, what do you think of Princess Di going to see the movie?
kongisking said:
Stoo's educating us every day! I didn't know Willie was Scottish! :p
That is a spelling error in the original article so I just transcribed the word as such. (It even misspells Amrish Puri as 'Marish'.)

Re. "educating": If there's anything to be learned from that article, my dear fellow, it's that NOT EVERY media critic in 1984 thought the movie was terrible.;)
Toht's Arm said:
"Flibbertigibbet". That is all.
I know, eh?:D My grandmother used to say that word!

kongisking

Stoo said:
If there's anything to be learned from that article, my dear fellow, it's that NOT EVERY media critic in 1984 thought the movie was terrible.

Ha! Wish Mr. Spielberg could see that...