• No

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henry Jones VII

AndyLGR said:
Hope you are wrong based on the 50 seconds or so of footage we've seen so far :rolleyes:

I'm not saying the entire movie is crap, just the trailer. maybe the movie will turnout better that DH4.

Montana Smith said:
Will there also be a dodgy overweight friend, an old flame, a kooky old guy and an ineffectual villainess?
Well, Kevin Smith fits the bill, Bonnie Bedelia (sp? who cares?!) has been spotted in car parks with Erin Moran, McClain is the kooky old guy...what did he say? The James Bond on Paramus New Jersey? I wouldn't mind Maggie Q coming back if she was whored out again...or more.

Indy's brother

kongisking said:
Hopefully that will make some of the haters quiet down a tad...

It will quiet me down a bit. Of course, the way to go into this one is to just look at it as a Bruce Willis actioner, nothing more, and nothing less. The character of McClane isn't such the underdog anymore. He's will be just as invincible he was in the last installment, just as Indy has now become in his last film. It will probably be an easier film to watch by just erasing the history of the character from my mind when I see it. And at risk of turning this sort of thing into a 80's comeback trend, McClane is now going to have his own Mutt character, too. :rolleyes: Who else should follow suit, I wonder?

I think the Toxic Avenger should have a son for a sidekick next.

Le Saboteur

Finn said:
...the originals didn't need any and T'n'A to be successful. Still, I suppose it is A Good Day to Be Hard.

They do say that movement is a beautiful thing.

And, well, this is considerably longer than fifty seconds. I've seen the posters @ the local theatre, but how have I not seen a trailer before hand? And whose bright idea was it to release this on Valentine's Day? Are they trying to tank the opening weekend numbers?

Aside from Kevin Smith's rather amusing insertion into the life of John McClane, I barely remember the last one. This one looks like a passable action movie, but I'm not keen on the addition of adult children to the franchise.

Hollywood: Let the eighties die, please.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i2Y2PpY6fNo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pale Horse

Staff member
^^^

Note the freeze frame. In what world could two men rise/fall/jump/avoid, etc that scenario? :rolleyes:

This series jumped the shark when cyber fire sale in #4. Even the bullion heist in #3 was moderately plausible requiring only a small amount of suspended disbelief.

It seems 'McClane' is now a superhero, on par with the comic book staples that have dominated the last decade. :dead:

AndyLGR

Indy's brother said:
Of course, the way to go into this one is to just look at it as a Bruce Willis actioner, nothing more, and nothing less. The character of McClane isn't such the underdog anymore. He's will be just as invincible he was in the last installment, just as Indy has now become in his last film. It will probably be an easier film to watch by just erasing the history of the character from my mind when I see it. And at risk of turning this sort of thing into a 80's comeback trend, McClane is now going to have his own Mutt character, too. :rolleyes: Who else should follow suit, I wonder?
Thats exactly what this film is, its a Willis actioner. Nothing more. Theres plenty of action and explosions, yet it struggles under the weight of how good the cast and story was in the original and this new DH movie falls short on the quality of the villain again.

The addition of sons and daughters to a movie is a real bug bear of mine, any film where they are added is off to a bad start for me before I've even watched it. In fact this movie is what KOTCS was to the Indy series, the weakest one with the annoying son who seems to take the lead in much of the action and a story thats not all that fantastic.

However despite that I actually found the film engaging enough, the time went by quickly. I thought its probably on a par with the 4th, but it just makes you pine for the original.

In fact I got home and DH2 was on the TV, so I watched that, and even though that film at the time was a little disappointing I think the passage of time has made me like it more.

And despite all of this I would still go to a 6th, which is supposedly what Willis has said will be happening.

Raiders90

I really think the Die Hard series should've ended with the third film. This new one doesn't even look or feel like a Die Hard film. It looks like a superhero film with "John McClain" in it, or like some generic spy action film that he happened to stumble into. I think I'm starting to get why people hate KOTCS. It isn't fun seeing action heroes grow old and be sidelined by young nobodies.

For me, Die Hard 4 and 5 don't exist. They're disgraces to the franchise. John McClain was never a super hero. Hell, even other cops mocked him. He was just an average guy who had a lot of luck on his side. A borderline alcoholic who really didn't enjoy his job. The series is so far divorced from the first film or even the first three that what's the point?

The series ended at With a Vengeance, maybe McClain got back with his wife and lived out the rest of his days as a decorated New York City cop.

Montana Smith

I've had to take a break from A Good Day to Die Hard.

So far it's been like an episode from GTA IV. Exhausting. Yet balletic.

McClane receiving The Idiot's Guide to Moscow was a big tell as to the direction this film was going in.

It's like Bond, without the benefit of Bond himself.

Don't know what the record is for the most number of vehicles destroyed in a car chase, but AGDTDH must be getting up there. Physics sometimes takes a back seat, and the method McClane used to descend to the lower road was an in-your-face gag, but nevertheless, it was a spectacular sequence from the moment he decided to pursue.

The story would appear to exist only to set up the gags.

But I did enjoy the car chase. :D

Montana Smith

Talk about a 'car crash' movie.

The car crashes were the best part, and the rest was just a car crash.

So much terrible dialogue, with McClane whinging about his ruined vacation, then determining to go murder some guys.

Smart quips that just didn't sound very smart at all.

A completely over the top carrot crunching tap dancing villain.

A blatant reference to the 1980s.

A car full of guns that would come in handy.

A reference to Indy: "I kinda thought we would just wing it, you know. Running in, guns blazing! Make it up as we go."

It's pretty hard to 'spoil' this film since most things are telegraphed to the audience in advance, such as the clearly visible route from the upper road to the lower one, or the room full of chandeliers for the smashing of.

So revealing the ending is hardly going to give much away. John and John Jr. are planning on going into a highly radioactive part of Chernobyl without NBC suits, which those ahead of them are already wearing.

Don't worry, it's okay because a tank of radiation-remover is already being airlifted in, so we won't see a final battle where everyone is wearing identical suits and masks.

In terms of dialogue and story AGDTDH is pretty much 1980s straight to video fare. McClane is a walking cliché.

The only saving graces are the better action sequences.

In fact the entire film could be edited down to a half-hour show.

wwpv.jpg

“Hi, I’m Sheriff John Bunnell..."

Pale Horse

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
McClane is a walking cliché.

I so want to punch you in the face for saying this, but I can't, because I know it to be true.

He jumped the shark when he flew to Toronto to kill Simon with an RPG...

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
I so want to punch you in the face for saying this, but I can't, because I know it to be true.

Raymond Johnstone vs a horse by Titus Pullover

:D

Pale Horse said:
He jumped the shark when he flew to Toronto to kill Simon with an RPG...

McClane jumped a few things in AGDTDH: the traffic; a window; a helicopter...before nuking the fridge in Chernobyl.

I get the impression they were going for a 1980s-feel movie, but they went wide and missed the 1988 Die Hard and hit something with less credibility.

I was curious why the carrot crunching tap dancer told McClane, "It's not 1986, anymore."

Why 1986, and not 1988? Brucie doesn't have a film listed for that year, but he was Moonlighting.

Last edited: