Belloqs pocket watch

Matt R

"Look at this. It's worthless. Ten dollars from a vendor in the street. But I take it, I bury it in the sand for a thousand years, it becomes priceless! Like the Ark. Men will kill for it; men like you and me."
Belloqspocketwatch.jpg

As a fan prop item from ROTLA, this one is relatively easy to get hold of with a bit of time & effort spent searching online....and you won't have to kill for it either!
The watch seen on screen (albeit very briefly) is an Ingersoll Triumph, the majority of these were made in the 50's & 60's although earlier models are available they are very expensive and differ in style a little. It does appear the screen used watch is one of the later ones...

I found one at the very reasonable price of £11/$17 (although I needed to replace the old crystal with a new glass) and sadly it appears to have been overwound so it is not working...hence the price I guess, although I would never remember to wind it anyway so no real issue here. I also attached a vintage watch chain. The pendant on the other end is a mounted Egyptian silver 2 Piastre coin from 1937...I thought it in keeping with the theme. The rear of the watch case is engraved CAIRO 1936...obviously done by that pesky street vendor! ;)
003.jpg

006.jpg

Anyway, thought I'd share the latest addition to my IJ stuff...

WilliamBoyd8

Interesting item!

Here is what the coin looks like:

post_egypt_p02_1937.jpg

Egypt 2 Piastres 1937 (AH 1356) - King Farouk
Size: 14mm silver

:)

Last edited:

Matt R

This is nice little silver coin which is not at all expensive and there are lots floating about in inter-web land. The coin mount is actually made for the US 1 Cent coin & fits perfectly as the piastre is exactly the same size, with a little gentle distressing the mount does not look out of place on the chain.
The coin was quite heavily tarnished when it arrived however a little soft cleaning with a tooth brush & bi-carb/warm water soon removed most of this without affecting the condition.
I know cleaning vintage coins is an anathama to some collectors but given the low value of this coin it really isn't an issue.

Hiluxtaco

Thanks for the information on this pocket watch, Matt R !! :)

I think I'll add this to the list of things that I need to track down..

Djd1

The movement is dated inside the back as far as I recall from my one which was produced as late as 1973. Keeps pretty decent time but ticks VERY loudly