Atlantis, the Lost Continent (1961) George Pal

WilliamBoyd8

I finally got around to watching the 1961 film "Atlantis, the Lost Continent".
I had seen it when it came out, but all I remembered was the heat ray and the
men with animal heads.

The film was directed by George Pal, who made such well known 1950's science-fiction films as
"War of the Worlds" and "The Time Machine".
The script was by Daniel Mainwaring, who wrote a number of hard-boiled crime films in the 1940's
including "Out of the Past".

It starts with a prologue showing similarities between European and North American cultures,
including lust for gold, coins, pyramids, and witches riding brooms, and implying that they had a
common source.
(Kids, don't use this film for school history papers)
Plato's description of Atlantis is then read.

The film is set during ancient Greek times.
Demetrios, a Greek fisherman rescues an Atlantan princess Antilla and takes her home.
He is captured and made into a slave, as all foreigners are not allowed to leave.

post_movie_atlantislost_01.jpg

Map of Atlantis in the palace

The society is depicted as being scientifically advanced, with some electricty, submarines,
and a crystal that absorbs sunlight to create heat.

Some of the people are decent, but the rulers behave like Nazis.

The king is a weak-willed man, and the actual ruler Zaren wants to be a dictator.

For punishment, Demetrios is taken to a mad scientist who is performing experiments
to turn men into animals, who are portrayed by men wearing animal heads.
However, he is rescued before being turned into a boar, and undergoes a gladiator contest.
After killing another gladiator, he is allowed to live in Atlantis as a citizen,
and collaborates with Zaren.

Zaren wants to conquer the world with their invention, a heat ray made out of crystals.
He proclaims that the Atlantans are the "race of masters".

post_movie_atlantislost_02.jpg

The heat ray

An interesting scene for me as a coin collector was a payment Zaren makes to Demetrios
for a map of Greece.
The payment bag appears to contain coins, and Demetrios states the he likes gold.
The prologue also contained a visual reference to coins.

The high priest is a dissenter, believes on one god, and that Atlantis will be destroyed for its sins.

He is right.

post_movie_atlantislost_03.jpg

Destruction of Atlantis

Some of the slaves escape on boats and are shown sailing to different parts of the world and
spreading Atlantan technology and beliefs.

:)

Stoo

Cool that you managed to see it again after all this time! You've mentioned it on a few occasions here at The Raven so it's hard to believe that you hadn't seen it again in over 50 years!

The first time I watched it was on a rented VHS in the '80s. I had also rented, "Warlords From Atlantis" (1978), that same night and watched them both back-to-back.

While far from being one of George Pal's better movies, I like it for the special effects. The stop-motion animator, Jim Danforth, worked on it.

Apparently, a sequence with flying machines was in the original print and then got cut out. It would be interesting to see that.