Young Indy's appeal

I

Indy's_main_man

For some reason the young Indy series never really caught on for me. It didn't have the draw of Harrison Ford nor the directing of Spielberg. The comics were okay but less grousome and being a young man I'm attracted to violence.

Junior Jones

There were several episodes that took place during World War I. Lots of people were killed. Wasn't that violent enough for you?

At the time the show was on the air some group doing a study on television violence published a list of the most violent shows on TV. The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was #1.

I loved the show for other reasons. The violence didn't appeal to me but there was something for everyone.

So that's how you up your post count, eh, Strider? ;)

I'm not sure what it is. There's something about the feel of them that I like. The cinematography, the music, everything all seems to combine into a really good... feel. That's the only way I know how to describe it. The stories were good, and I liked all the historical stuff. It's all really enjoyable to me. We also get a neat insight into Indy's childhood, teenage years, and early grown-up years.

I

Indy's_main_man

It's not just violence it's...the sense of adventure only someone more mature can bring to you. The witty comments. also, from what i've seen in some of these adventures he doesn't even have his trademark hat...wheres the fun it that?

plus the concept is hard to grasp. he's an archeologist now...he has reason to go on adventures. But when he was a kid?

oh id young Indy ever handle a weapon?

Junior Jones

He was in the Belgian army and the French Secret Service during a war. Yeah, he had a gun. And he used it when he had to, which was pretty frequently.

Have you seen any of these, or are you just basing your opinion on what you've heard?

I

Indy's_main_man

I watched half of one but got bored.

It was a little kid running around and then lots of talk.

I don't have any interest in seeing some kid run around in the army.

I think it's hard to establish this kid growing up to be the Harrison character.

and it's hard to buy that they let teens into the french secret service...they'd save that for more mature adults

I

Indy's_main_man

then again... that IS the french were talking about...

Junior Jones

There were two actors that played Young Indiana Jones:
Corey Carrier played him at ages 8-10
Sean Patrick Flannery played him at ages 16-20

If the one you saw had "a little kid running around" it was probably CC, and I agree that those aren't as exciting as the ones with SPF.

Indy joined the Belgian Army at age 16. He lied about his name, his age, and his nationality, but the recruiter didn't care. They took anyone they could get.

See if you can find some of the SPF episodes. If you give them a fair try, I think you'll like them.

I

Indy's_main_man

It just doesn't push my buttons.

Oh and I apologize for using "ur" but it's something you pick up when u frequent message boards and instant message. robably because these things help u...I mean you type faster.

Junior Jones

What appealed to me most about Young Indy is strangely what turned many people off: the historic context.

I've always been interested in history, but hated it in school because the way it was presented made it seem so dull. The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, on the other hand, took historic events and characters and made them come alive.

I remember watching the premier movie, Curse of the Jackal. During commercial breaks I ran down to the basement where my parents kept the encylopedia set and grabbed a few volumes to look up things that had been mentioned. Then during the next commercial I would run down and grab a few more.

I had heard of Howard Carter, Pancho Villa, John Pershing, and George Patton, but I didn't really know much about them. Now I do.

Because of Young Indy, I've read Ernest Hemingway and other authors I never would have. I know more about the Mexican Revolution and the Irish Revolution. I've learned about World War I, and how its resolution led directly to World War II. I credit Young Indy (in part) for making me a more well-rounded person.