Alison Doody (Elsa) update

ElsaFan

Well, the stunning Irish blonde bombshell is now separated from her husband of ten years, Gavin O'Reilly, and is now looking forward to step into the limelight again. At 39 years old, I wonder if it's a more of a dream than a tangible possibility, though. I'll leave it to the future to decide, but wouldn't it be great to see good old Dr. Elsa grace the screen again? I'm raising my hand...

For anyone interested in reading what is up with Ms Doody, here's a pretty interesting and enlightning article, courtesy of the Evening Standard (UK):

http://feed.insnews.org/v-cgi/feeds.cgi?feedid=145&story_id=1802635

PS. Incredible how many potential good roles she turned down! :(

Abe Vayoda

The link won't work for me. What roles did she turn down?

Good to see she's returning to hollywood I guess. Shame her husband and her split.

ElsaFan

She turned down several roles: Al Pacino's girlfriend in Carlito's Way (because it involved nudity), Eowyn in The Lord of the Rings, Seinfeld, and Kiss the Girls with Morgan Freeman (because of a rape scene that didn't even make the final cut).

ElsaFan

Alison will guest star this year in the new season of the popular English TV series 'Waking the Dead', which airs on the BBC. Does anyone know this? I heard it's pretty much like CSI in the US.

Montana_Jones

ClintonHammond said:
"Eowyn in The Lord of the Rings"

I'll count that as a bullet dodged!

Miranda Otto is fa-boooo!
The reason why she declined was because she was preggers at the time and didn't want to spend too long on location.

King Solomon's Mines TV-mini was great with Patrick Swayze as Allan Quartermain. Also, don't forget the one with Stewart Granger and obviously Richard Chamberlain. There's also a 1937 version with Paul Robeson. I've only seen the Stewart Granger version, by the way.
And how is Taffin (with Pierce Brosnan)?

ElsaFan

Taffin is pretty boring on all fronts, although Pierce Brosnan is in top shape in this. Alison Doody, who co-starred, wasn't impressed at all with the end result and didn't even bother to attend the premiere. "We win some, we lose some, and I think I lost on that one", she said.

Apart from Indiana Jones, the only other *good* movie she did in my opinion was Selling Hitler, with Jonathan Pryce, and that was a made-for-TV movie. Her acting was superb, the film was great and of course she looked fabulous.

Of course she was in the James Bond film, and even though her character had a very reduced part, she still managed to be one of the high points of A View to a Kill, a very poor Bond flick (except for Christopher Walken, who delivers as usual).

Finally, I must say King Solomon's Mines wasn't all that bad, and it was great to see Alison after all these years, but the end result was too diluted for my tastes. I would have preferred something shorter and tighter, but I guess you can't expect this from the Hallmark Channel.

ElsaFan

For UK fans, her episode (in two parts) of Waking the Dead, called The Fall, will air on January 21, 2007 on BBC1. It sounds wicked!

"In the first of a two-part story by Damian Wayling, the team is called in when workmen dislodge two sexually conjoined bodies which fall through the ceiling in a former City bank which folded after Black Wednesday.

A 13-digit number on a gold ingot matches that found on a cold case river corpse from 1993. The City bank corpse is bank director Mervyn Simmel, who disappeared and was suspected of skipping the country with the bank's funds. Simmel's co-chairman, Lucien Calvin, who was released following imprisonment for fraud, now masquerades as a therapist, preaching against greed.

Journalist Lisa Tobin takes a keen interest in the case. The female corpse is identified as Katherine Keane, reported missing by her husband, Declan Keane, in 1992. Tobin makes a connection between the two corpses before the team does and explains that she was researching Katherine's biography, and she knows Katherine had three other wealthy lovers at the time of her death: City Alderman Philip White, banker Anthony Garland and shadow Trade and Industry Minister Ian Taggart. Garland had an alibi but is now deceased so the team checks out Taggart and White.

Eve finds evidence of mortification on Katherine's thigh which links to Opus Dei. Boyd is warned off by Opus Dei's London director, Hugo Keegan. Meanwhile, the river corpse is identified as Brian McGurk, aide to an Irish Ambassador in London until he was sacked in 1992. The trail takes the team to Dublin where the case takes a dramatic turn when one of the suspects falls to his death as Boyd watches on, helpless.

Trevor Eve is Boyd, Sue Johnston is Grace, Tara FitzGerald is Eve, Wil Johnson is Spence, Felicite du Jeu is Stella, Peter Capaldi is Lucien Calvin, Alison Doody (Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade) is Katherine Keane, Oliver Ford Davies (Star Wars) is Hugo Keegan, Catherine Walker is Lisa Tobin, Nigel Whitmey is Mervyn Simmel and Terence Harvey is Philip White."

ElsaFan

Has anyone watched her episodes of Waking the Dead?? Here are two screencaps from her scenes in the series. Isn't she aging gracefully?

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.independent.ie/3205015.html
Sad news:
Alison Doody heartbroken as her partner dies suddenly while on holidays in Capri

ACTRESS Alison Doody was in shock following the death of her partner while the couple holidayed in Italy.
Douglas De Jager, a 61-year-old packaging tycoon from South Africa, is believed to have suffered a heart attack while on holiday in Capri with the Irish actress on 30th July.
Despite attempts by paramedics, they were unable to revive the tycoon reports have said.
It is believed Ms Doody, who was previously married to former INM Chief Executive Gavin O?Reilly, had met Mr De Jager, when she spent time in South Africa filming the E4 comedy drama ?Beaver Falls? last year.
The couple had kept their relationship under the radar, but it is believed that Mr De Jager had made frequent visits to see Alison in Ireland.

Stoo

Holy smokes, I was on the isle of Capri just a few days after that!:eek:

Poor Alison.:( My heart goes out to her.