Capitalism: A Love Story

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Using a bullhorn, getting ushered out of lobbies... yawn.

Showing a congressman saying "OMG he's interviewing me right now" was just sad.

Goonie

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8rHP9W9FI-0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8rHP9W9FI-0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Bjorn Heimdall

Moedred said:
Using a bullhorn, getting ushered out of lobbies... yawn.

Showing a congressman saying "OMG he's interviewing me right now" was just sad.

The big guns who made the economic downturn are seemingly untouchable for some reason. If making their day really boring is all that can be done, I'm all for it.

indy34

Last Micheal Moore movie I saw was slacker up rising and I turned it off about 10min in it was really really boring:sleep:

Gear

I was chatting with someone the other day who brought up a good point.

Isn't Michael Moore making out quite well with capitalism?..

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
It will be interesting to see how this compares to previous Moore doco's. I quite liked Bowling for Columbine.

The issue of the GFC was always going to hit cinema sometime. Heck, I even heard they were going to make a sequel to "Wall Street" and tie it to the current recession. Perhaps, Greed isn't so good after all.

Goonie

Violet Indy said:
The issue of the GFC was always going to hit cinema sometime. Heck, I even heard they were going to make a sequel to "Wall Street" and tie it to the current recession. Perhaps, Greed isn't so good after all.

Wall Street 2 is curretly being filmed and Shia LaBeouf is in it.

avidfilmbuff

This is how I basically view Michael Moore, all of his films are propaganda, but that isn't an insult. I basically view all theatrical documentaries, no matter what their position is, as propaganda. No different than Leni Riefensthal's Triumph of the Will or Sergei Eisentien's Battleship Potemkin. However, Triumph of the Will and Battleship Potemkin are two of the greatest films ever made, not because they express any truth or they take up a position which cannot be argued against, but because they are both masterpieces in editing and camera work. Bowling for Columbine is a film that many people disagree with and many others have stated that it presents mistruths. That very well may be true, but you cannot deny that Moore crafts his film in an enormously creative manner and is an excellent propagandist. I admire his films not for their views, but for their craft.

Last edited:

Goonie

I find it funny that all the people that responded to this thread with a negative reaction to Michael Moore... are living in the US. ;) :D

Benudo

His style -- in his movies and in his books -- is over-bearing and over-simplistic, but he also makes genuinely moving and thought-provoking material, too. Bowling for Columbine -- why does America have the problems w/ gun violence that we have? Sicko -- why do we tolerate a healthcare system that fails so many people when every other industrialized country treats healthcare as a moral obligation befitting coverage for all? For those who haven't seen Sicko, please do, especially given the discussion going on right now. These are issues people face everyday, and they aren't going away. The lack of political leadership on this issue given the opportunity right now is breath-taking.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Goonie said:
Wall Street 2 is curretly being filmed and Shia LaBeouf is in it.

Really? Two good reasons to go see it then. ;)

avidfilmbuff said:
This is how I basically view Michael Moore, all of his films are propaganda, but that isn't an insult. I basically view all theatrical documentaries, no matter what their position is, as propaganda. No different than Leni Riefensthal's Triumph of the Will or Sergei Eisentien's Battleship Potemkin. However, Triumph of the Will and Battleship Potemkin are two of the greatest films ever made, not because they express any truth or they take up a position which cannot be argued against, but because they are both masterpieces in editing and camera work. Bowling for Columbine is a film that many people disagree with and many others have stated that it presents mistruths. That very well may be true, but you cannot deny that Moore crafts his film in an enormously creative manner and is an excellent propagandist. I admire his films not for their views, but for their craft.

I totally agree with you. Moore, I feel, crafts his documentary in an entertaining way (I admittedly laughed my ass off at the 'Bonanza' bit in Fahrenheit 9/11). Then there's even the way he starts "Fahrenheit", after showing the bits from the election, that he uses the sounds of 9/11 and has the cinema in complete darkness. That was quite crafty as sounds when you can't see what's making them and you're in the dark, is what always makes you more fearful.

The fact is documentaries are not the truth- it's a version of the truth. Even Morgan Spurlock's "Supersize Me" has had it's critics in it's findings. Supposedly there's been people who have lost weight eating Macca's for a month (without supersizing and with exercise, being the main differences). Australia doesn't have the Super size, btw. I can barely get through a regular combo.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
While amusingly presented, Bowling for Columbine was a shoddy thesis: setting aside its inaccuracies, what do killer bees and Dick Clark have to do with Flint Michigan and guns, anyway? There was a time when his features were meant to be taken with a grain of salt... Roger and Me was dropped from Oscar consideration on account of its own batch of inaccuracies (or if you prefer, lies). But by 2003 the Academy sent their standards south like their ratings and nominated documentarian Moore, and screenwriter Donald Kaufman, neither of whom exists.

It's only a matter of time before this movie leaks online, and its anti-free enterprise director will have to shrug off the crime. Here are a couple of articles on Moore from the right and the left.

"There is a minority of intellectual pacifists, whose real though unacknowledged motive appears to be hatred of western democracy and admiration for totalitarianism." -George Orwell, 1945

dr.jones1986

Im gonna see it tommorow. I can understand why alot of people dont like him or his films and there is defintley a propagandist nature to his work, but I think that could be said for most documantires that are trying to pursade an audience to look at something a certain way. I definitley think there is some truth in his films and at the very least it makes you think, and that is never a bad thing.