College and your Major ?

sarah navarro

So it's been a while since Ive been on, Ive been getting all my college stuff settled! :D I guess I want to get an idea of what to look forward to and gets some of other people stories. I'm going to be a freshman this September!

what is/was your major? How long did you go? just anything

I'm going to a California State Univ. as a Music major, I don't plan on stopping at my Bachelors. I would love to teach at a college for music and keep playing my instrument as well (y)

Cole

I'm currently at a California State Univ. too. Business Accounting major. A little more than halfway there.

Le Saboteur

Hmm...

Congratulations on getting into the CSU system! Now are you ready for the 15% fee hikes coming in the Fall and Spring? It doesn't sound like a lot, but it's amazing at how the costs are continually jumping. Little known fact: higher education was free for California residents before Regan became governor.

It's taken me thirteen years to get this far, but a formal education wasn't always necessary; you might even say that it was complimentary, and always amusing.

Undergrad: Tulane University, dual major in Political Science and Theatre
Masters: London School of Economics & Political Science, International Affairs
Ph.D.: The University of California, Berkeley (starting in Fall '10)

sarah navarro

Le Saboteur said:
Congratulations on getting into the CSU system! Now are you ready for the 15% fee hikes coming in the Fall and Spring? It doesn't sound like a lot, but it's amazing at how the costs are continually jumping. Little known fact: higher education was free for California residents before Regan became governor.

It's taken me thirteen years to get this far, but a formal education wasn't always necessary; you might even say that it was complimentary, and always amusing.

Undergrad: Tulane University, dual major in Political Science and Theatre
Masters: London School of Economics & Political Science, International Affairs
Ph.D.: The University of California, Berkeley (starting in Fall '10)
Wow your pretty much amazing (y) thank goodness for some federal aid :eek:
i plan on being at school for a long time too, so how do you work and pay for college if you dont mind me asking?

Le Saboteur

sarah navarro said:
Wow your pretty much amazing (y) thank goodness for some federal aid :eek:
i plan on being at school for a long time too, so how do you work and pay for college if you dont mind me asking?

At this point in time (for me), taking one or two classes at a time is best. Since I have a "real" job and other interests, I can't devote my full attention to a doctorate program. In that regard, paying for it is easy.

Considering that you're an undergrad, you'll want to maximize the amount of money you can make in the least amount of time. Usually that means donning an apron, and taking up the mantle of waiter. It really isn't that difficult once you get a handle on the basics, and the work doesn't take up too time; once you're off, you're done. There's none of that "take home work" required or even necessary.

Once you're of legal age, you could jump behind a bar and make even more money. The responsibilities, of course, are increased; lot's of drink knowledge is required, too.

AlivePoet

Cheers to the topic. :hat: I guess I'll be the first to break with the Californians and put the "CA" in Canada. BA (honours) at Concordia U in Montreal, double majored in Performance Drama and English Lit., graduated in May '09. Thinking about a master's at McGill next Sept.

DocWhiskey

I'm currently a junior (don't all me that) at the Illinois Institute of Art. My major is Media Arts and Animation.

Goonie

Hmm let's see...
I got a:
Electronics Engineering Technology Diploma (2002 - Okanagan University College)
Business Administration Diploma in Marketing (2005 - Okanagan University College)
Bachelor of Business Administration (2007 - Okanagan College & University of British Columbia-Okanagan)
What happened with my school, OUC, is in the summer of 2005 it got split-up by our provincial government. Kelowna had two OUC campuses; the government made one campus Okanagan College and the other campus became the Okanagan campus of the University of British Columbia. My BBA ended up becoming co-conferred by both institutes.
Also got an incomplete Human Resources diploma I may finish in the future. Haven't finishd it due to a lack of funds.

Right now I'm looking for work, and having no luck finding any :( . Would've been a great time to be in school to ride out these tough economic times that are happening now. I still haven't ruled out going back to school. I'm thinking about an MBA, engineering degree, sciences degree, a BA, or a BEd.

Last edited:

Morning Bell

I have a B.S. in Electronic Media Production and a minor in Film Studies. I'm thinking of attending graduate school but that's probably another year or two down the road.

Hawkeye

I'm a sophomore and a History major at York College of Pennsylvania. The place has only two redeeming qualities though; one being an amazing girl who's graduating at the end of the year and the other is WVYC, our school's radio station, of which I'm the Library Director. So I'm planning to transfer to Coastal Carolina University either next semester or next Fall. Hopefully a change of scenery will do something for my contentment.

Nurhachi1991

I couldnt get in to a state University. No I'm your average idot going to a Community College but its not half bad I only have 2 classes though because everyone and there brother is going there. :mad:

But my Major is Anthropology

following in the footsteps of the good professor

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Don't feel so bad about it, Nurhachi. I couldn't afford a fancy college either (I could get in, I just couldn't afford it).

Though the Australian system is probably a wee bit different. We have a thing called HECS-HELP so when you earn a certain amount of money per year, you start to pay off your debts and some uni's even have deals where if you pay a certain amount per semester, you get 20% off the rest of the debt for that semester. That's the deal I did and it's only avaliable for certain uni's. So my debt is a great deal more manageable than most.

I got accepted into two university's, which is actually unusual in Australia. You only get an acceptance from one. This was because of where I was living at the time of graduating from High School, because if a university campus is in your region and it has a course you're interested in, you can automatically get a place provided you get a pass mark from all your final year subjects. I choose the one I wanted all along.

I graduated in December 2008 with the Bachelor of Film and Screen Media Production degree, from GFS, Griffith University.

Le Saboteur

Goonie said:
It doesn't really matter what you get, it all boils down to this; who's working right now?
:confused: ;)

Ain't that the truth! Here's a hint: They're all trade school graduates!

Seriously though, Nurhachi, a community college isn't that bad; get your general education requirements out of the way, find out that you're really interested in anthro (cultural or physical?), and then find out where you want to transfer to. It'll be cheaper in the long run, and you want to graduate with as little debt as possible.

Don't get hung up on the name on your diploma. Earn it, and mail it to your mother.

Morning Bell

Nurhachi1991 said:
I couldnt get in to a state University. No I'm your average idot going to a Community College but its not half bad I only have 2 classes though because everyone and there brother is going there. :mad:

But my Major is Anthropology

following in the footsteps of the good professor

I spent my first two years at a community college and then transfered to a large university for my last two. Community college is MUCH cheaper with smaller classes and a more manageable schedule, not to mention it eases you into college instead of throwing everything at you at once. Looking back, I'm glad I made that decision and I'd do it again if I had to.