The troop car lives!

Kooshmeister

I noticed when at the Nazi island base, there is another one of those Mercedes-Benz troop cars used in the truck chase:

Indiana appears to be looking at it, wondering, "Didn't I ram this thing off the cliff in the second act...?"

ReggieSnake

I hadn't noticed that before. I guess they were trying to be consistent with the vehicles. I doubt it is the very same vehicle though since the sub bay scene was filmed in France, and the Truck Chase in Tunisia.

Good catch; Indy does seem to be looking at it funny.;)

Kooshmeister

ReggieSnake said:
I hadn't noticed that before. I guess they were trying to be consistent with the vehicles. I doubt it is the very same vehicle though since the sub bay scene was filmed in France, and the Truck Chase in Tunisia.

Yeah; also it doesn't have the machine gun mount that the other one had.

Stoo

I'm pretty sure the sub bay scene was filmed before the chase so the car very likely the same one.
The mounting for the MG-34 can be removed/added and they could have shipped the car to Tunisia.
Unfortunatley, the license plate is not seen in the sub bay. If it was we would know for sure!
(In Tunisia, the plate is WH-33129 or WH-33125.)

The only other difference I see is the flag on the left fender which can be easily put on/taken off.
It looks like the Mercedes-Benz hood ornament was removed for the stunt when one of the soldiers
lands on the car and busts out the windshield.

Considering it is such a weird, seemingly unidentifiable vehicle, it's doubtful that they had 2 of them.
The truck was used twice so why not this? Good eye, Koosh!:hat:

Kooshmeister

Stoo said:
Considering it is such a weird, seemingly unidentifiable vehicle, it's doubtful that they had 2 of them.
The truck was used twice so why not this? Good eye, Koosh!:hat:

Thanks. The car is sadly a total fake, Mercedes never made anything even remotely like it according to the Internet Movie Cars Database. (it looks like they cut a Horch in half, shortening the middle, and stuck the front end of an Opel Blitz onto it and added the Mercedes hood ornament; but then again I'm no car expert.)

Where else in Raiders is the cargo truck used?

Incidentally was anyone else aware that both the truck and the troop car were repainted and reused for the movie Top Secret? In addition to the repaints, they have the truck be open-backed rather than have a cloth top, and the middle bar and convertible top (which is folded back during the chase) of the troop car were removed. I forget what happens to the truck, but the poor troop car rear-ends a Ford Pinto....

Stoo

Kooshmeister said:
Thanks. The car is sadly a total fake, Mercedes never made anything even remotely like it according to the Internet Movie Cars Database. (it looks like they cut a Horch in half, shortening the middle, and stuck the front end of an Opel Blitz onto it and added the Mercedes hood ornament; but then again I'm no car expert.)
Definitely a Frankenstein vehicle. I'll have to check out those models you mentioned.
From day 1, I never believed that either the car (or the truck) were actual Mercedes.
Kooshmeister said:
Where else in Raiders is the cargo truck used?
It looks like the truck that explodes in Cairo is also sitting on the dock during the Bantu Wind scene. Tell me what you think.
Kooshmeister said:
Incidentally was anyone else aware that both the truck and the troop car were repainted and reused for the movie Top Secret? In addition to the repaints, they have the truck be open-backed rather than have a cloth top, and the middle bar and convertible top (which is folded back during the chase) of the troop car were removed. I forget what happens to the truck, but the poor troop car rear-ends a Ford Pinto....
No, I never knew that and I used to watch them movie a lot! That is so funny when it just lightly touches the Pinto's fender
*tink* and causes an explosion! (It's been a long time...which car explodes?)

Apparently, it was in 2 other movies as well and now rests in the Cars of the Stars museum in the U.K.! Must go there!
http://www.theraider.net/information/attractions/carsofthestars.php

Kooshmeister

Stoo said:
From day 1, I never believed that either the car (or the truck) were actual Mercedes.

The black staff car is a real Mercedes, though, a 1936 Mercedes 320. And a beautiful car it is, too. :D

As for the truck, it's a modified GMC CCKW troop carrier but unlike the troop car it's meant to resemble an actual WWII German vehicle, the Mercedes LG3000 (and they did a reasonably good job except the cab is too large).

Stoo said:
It looks like the truck that explodes in Cairo is also sitting on the dock during the Bantu Wind scene. Tell me what you think.

Oh that truck. Well, they would've had to have filmed the dock scene prior to the Cairo shootout considering that truck kind of goes kablooey, but I'll give it a looksee the next time I watch the movie. Which will probably be later this evening. :cool:

Stoo said:
No, I never knew that and I used to watch them movie a lot! That is so funny when it just lightly touches the Pinto's fender
*tink* and causes an explosion! (It's been a long time...which car explodes?)

The Pinto, for the most part.

674.jpg

Stoo

Maybe it's a depiction of the car after the ornament gets broken off by the falling guy.;)
Did you ever get a chance to look for the other truck at the Cairo dock?

Kooshmeister

I didn't know the hood ornament got knocked off. And even if it did, and this is a post-rear-ending depiction, where's the smashed windshield? :D

As for the truck, is it this?

628.jpg

Stoo

3rd Truck in "Raiders"

No, that looks like one fo the cars (Opel Olympia?) from the Tanis digsite repainted. The one I'm thinking about is at the dock of the Bantu Wind.
It's probably supposed to be a truck from Omar's used to transport the Ark to the ship but it could very well be the same one from Cairo (Opel Blitz?).
If so, then the Cairo Truck lives, too!

Truck_BantuWind.jpg

About the hood ornament: Yeah, it wasn't knocked off but I think it was removed for the stunt. You're right about the broken windshield!;)
(Although I do like the mud on the windshield of Nick Turner's custom.)

Kooshmeister

Stoo said:
No, that looks like one fo the cars (Opel Olympia?) from the Tanis digsite repainted.

It's actually a Morris 10hp, a British pickup truck.

Other Morris trucks in the movie include the "German" gas tanker and the troop carrier from the Tanis airfield. I'm sure most of the cars at Tanis are British, too, all save the ones used in the chase, and the Horch 830 B (the cloth-topped car Gobler takes from the airfield to the command tent).

As for the Cairo docks truck, it's different from the Mercedes cargo truck (not cloth-topped) and isn't the pickup from outside of Omar's garage, and, really, I can't tell what it is since all we see is the back of the cargo contrainer.

Goonie

Kooshmeister said:
The Pinto, for the most part.

674.jpg

What was that quote from Top Secret?, "You have to hand it to the Germans, they make great cars!" and they're driving away in the burning jeep after they hit the Pinto. (y)

Hilarious movie. I'm going to have to pull it out of my DVD collection and watch it again.

Indyfan1981

Mickiana said:
Maybe he's thinking he'd like one for driving around his home town?...

That would be bad idea have you seen how badly he drives he wreaks anything that gets in his path, I guess he?s got tunnel vision LOL.:D

NLogan

Kooshmeister said:
I noticed when at the Nazi island base, there is another one of those Mercedes-Benz troop cars used in the truck chase:

Indiana appears to be looking at it, wondering, "Didn't I ram this thing off the cliff in the second act...?"

Didn't we already have this conversation about the troop car when you pointed it out to me in this thread?
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=16091

NLogan said:
Good catch. Along a similar line I just noticed the car Belloq and Dietrich are riding in during the truck chase is seen in the submarine port.

Kooshmeister said:
The black Mercedes? Where? Are you sure you aren't confusing it with this:

indytroopcar9af6.jpg

Which would be the troop car that went off the cliff, not the staff car. Unless the black car is also there, somewhere else in that submarine pen and I haven't spotted it.

Kooshmeister

I think I posted it here first, then in the other thread. I can't be sure. Anyway what's it matter? And why bring it up now? :confused:

EDIT: Checked; yes I posted this thread first.

col.dietrich

gobler might have lived!

actually, gobler and the others in the troop car, might have lived because i think they fell into water and they could have swam if they didnt drown.

i might not be right because i havnt watched raiders in a loooooooooooong time! :confused: