Young Telegraph newspaper comics

Plaristes

Stoo said:
BrodyIsDead, I, for one, will be eternally grateful if/when you do post them!:D (y)
Thanks so much for stepping up to the plate.

Ditto. The Telegraph strips are pretty much the Holy Grail :)p ) of Indy comics. (y) (y) (y)

DIrishB

BrodyIsDead said:
Hi, guys,

apologies for the lack of communication on this thread from me in the last few years (can't believe it's three!) - I've still been active on the boards but just didn't think anyone was interested in these gems of stories from my first posting about them back in '05... Anyway, I've definitely still got them in my possession (they belong in a museum!) and have been liasing with Rob D and DIrishB by PM so will scan the missing strips from those that Rob's already posted earlier in this thread and let everyone see them complete... :hat:

Sorry again for the long delay - it wasn't as long a wait as Indy IV though, right? (y)

BrodyIsDead...I'm flabbergasted! I haven't been this excited since it was confirmed a fourth Indy movie was happening. And I'm sure I'll be much more pleased with the final results than I was with Crystal Skull. ;)

Thanks, man. A lot of fans here on the site I know will be eternally grateful.

-----------------------------------

ps You can still catch up with Old Man Waltz from the "Mountains of Superstition" in my Indy short story on this page:

http://www.gollygoshadventures.blogspot.com/

I plan on reading it tonight!

DIrishB

Got a PM from BrodyIsDead concerning the Mountains of Superstition scans:

He's hard at work building his own Indy centric site, and will be hosting the scans there and said they should be up in a few weeks. Can't wait!

Also, some other very interesting info courtesy of BrodyIsDead...apparently while digging through his Indy stuff, he came across another UK exclusive tale called "Indiana Jones and the Treasure of Monte Cassino". I'd never heard of this until then, but then again I hadn't heard of the Mountains of Superstition tales either until happening across this thread. He'll be posting scans of those on his site as well.

I know we're all looking forward to this. BrodyIsDead will post links to his site once he's got the scans posted. Can't wait!

DIrishB

Rob Dangerous said:
Wow, never heard about this one. Did he tell you, where he found it?

I hadn't heard of it either. He just said he found it when digging through his old Indy material (since he's putting together his Indy site). He did say he was pretty sure it came out only in the UK, so thats probably why it wasn't known over here in the US. Looking forward to that one.

He said it seems to take place during WWII, which makes perfect sense since the Battle of Monte Cassino took place from January to May, 1944. So I assume it takes place sometime in those 5 months. We'll know in a few weeks when he gets a chance to post them on his new site.

Can't wait to check out what other goodies he'll have on it.

BrodyIsDead

OK, y'all here we go - BrodyIsDead's Indy fan page...

OK, be kind, guys, I'm no web designer or tech whizz kid, so just using my own humble googlepage knowhow but here's the unveiling of my Indy fan page:

http://b.c.carden.googlepages.com/allthingsindy

The complete scans of the Mountains of Superstition are up there with more coming as I scan them in future weeks... :hat:

Keep it bookmarked and let me know what you think! (y)

Takeit easy, and enjoy... :D

DIrishB

BrodyIsDead said:
OK, be kind, guys, I'm no web designer or tech whizz kid, so just using my own humble googlepage knowhow but here's the unveiling of my Indy fan page:

The complete scans of the Mountains of Superstition are up there with more coming as I scan them in future weeks... :hat:

Keep it bookmarked and let me know what you think! (y)

Takeit easy, and enjoy... :D

Beautifully done, BrodyIsDead! It looks great, Google page or not. Thanks again for hosting the Mountains scans. Also looking forward to the Monte Cassino story. Nice job, man!

DIrishB

I just realized...Stoo's going to come back from vacation, stumble across this thread, then drop his jaw in shock. I know he's been looking for these gems (the Mountains scans on BrodyIsDead's site All Things Indy!) for awhile too.

Rob Dangerous and BrodyIsDead both came through big time in scanning those comic strips.

Looking forward to the Monte Cassino scans very much. Especially since its one of the few Indy tales that seems to take place during America's involvement in WW2 (the others being the German novel "Indiana Jones and the Lost People" by Hohlbein [August, 1943] and "Indiana Jones and the Spear of Destiny" comic by Dark Horse [March, 1945]), or at least relate to it. I always wanted to see more tales of Indy's involvement in WW2, to mirror his younger days in WW1. Of course, I could be wrong about its timeline placement, and am thinking more and more that I am after doing more research. I was hoping it takes place during the Battle of Monte Cassino (January - May 1944) to see more of the Indy in WW2 thing. Of course, it could just be a reference to a treasure from the monastery located in the Monte Cassino hills in Italy. This is more likely: Indy searching for treasure in a run down, ancient Abbey. If thats the case it could take place pretty much anytime before, during, or even after WW2 and the Battle of Monte Cassino.

BrodyIsDead

Definitely WWII

Hi DB,

It's definitely set during the German occupation of Monte Cassino AND therefore WWII - so I think your analysis at first was correct - anyway all will be revealed once I get the scans up in a few weeks - it's an 8-page tale btw, think it was given away with the UK Indy fan club of the early 90s when Last Crusade came out... (I found it on eBay just a couple of years ago) (y)

Also, the name in the comic is spelt Monte Cassina with an "a" at the end rather than an "o" - not sure if this is cos of the Italian spelling? (or perhaps just a typo by the comics makers...) :confused:

I agree btw that we have to see more adventures of Indy during the 1939-44 period, especially now we've had some blanks filled in from Indy IV with his involvment with the OSS and Mac during that time...

-----------------------------------------------

DIrishB

BrodyIsDead said:
Hi DB,

It's definitely set during the German occupation of Monte Cassino AND therefore WWII - so I think your analysis at first was correct

I'm looking forward to it.

(That sentence is getting repetitive, isn't it?)

- anyway all will be revealed once I get the scans up in a few weeks - it's an 8-page tale btw, think it was given away with the UK Indy fan club of the early 90s when Last Crusade came out... (I found it on eBay just a couple of years ago) (y)

Lucky dog. I was psyched just to have tracked down a copy of the West End Games Indiana Jones Adventures RPG adventure book on Ebay. Now onto my search for the original French Young Indy novels (all seven of 'em) and the French Bagheera comic "Indiana Jones et le Grimoire Maudit / Indiana Jones and the Cursed Book of Magic". That will pretty much cover my Indy fiction collection. At least until new stuff is released. ;)

Also, the name in the comic is spelt Monte Cassina with an "a" at the end rather than an "o" - not sure if this is cos of the Italian spelling? (or perhaps just a typo by the comics makers...) :confused:

Thats interesting. I'll have to look into that.

EDIT: Just did a few internet searches, and nothing came up with "Monte Cassina", but there was plenty on "Monte Cassino". I'm assuming its as you said, either an Italian variant spelling I couldn't find any info on, its a mis-spelling, or in the Indy universe Monte Cassino is called Monte Cassina. That last one is probably unlikely.

I agree btw that we have to see more adventures of Indy during the 1939-44 period, especially now we've had some blanks filled in from Indy IV with his involvment with the OSS and Mac during that time...

Exactly. Indy's involvement with WW2 is something I've been dying to see covered much more. Thats easily the most under-chronicled period of Indy's life (except his first 8 years as a kid, which don't need chronicling), and the one probably most ripe for adventure set against an extremely dramatic and historically relevant war. It just seems like a lot of missed opportunities, at least so far. I know this is probably because Lucas wanted to leave those years open for future stories, but at this point I don't think he has to worry about stepping on future movies' toes concerning establishing Indy's adventures during the WW2 years since they'd obviously be set at least a decade after (if made at all).

I say let the comic and novel writer's have at it. Not sure if the novels have been selling well, but I know Dark Horse's recent comics and Omnibus editions have been selling respectably, if not impressively.

-----------------------------------------------

Visit this site, people!

Last edited:

BrodyIsDead

Thanks for the recommendations DB! (y)

Just to let everyone know that I'll be scanning "The Treasure of Monte Cassina" over this weekend hopefully (it's a long holiday weekend here in the UK - yay!) so there'll be new treasures on my "All Things Indy Page" in the next week or so...

Also, I've now made a link active on the page which wasn't clickable before - a blog post of mine from back in June this year, complete with my review of Indy IV :whip: Just click on the "June 2008" link on the left of the page to see the post:

http://b.c.carden.googlepages.com/allthingsindy - enjoy, y'all! :cool:

DIrishB

BrodyIsDead said:
Thanks for the recommendations DB! (y)

Just to let everyone know that I'll be scanning "The Treasure of Monte Cassina" over this weekend hopefully (it's a long holiday weekend here in the UK - yay!) so there'll be new treasures on my "All Things Indy Page" in the next week or so...

*DIrishB's head explodes from anticipation*

Also, I've now made a link active on the page which wasn't clickable before - a blog post of mine from back in June this year, complete with my review of Indy IV :whip: Just click on the "June 2008" link on the left of the page to see the post:

http://b.c.carden.googlepages.com/allthingsindy - enjoy, y'all! :cool:

Cool, just read your blog and Indy 4 review. I pretty much completely agree with your view on it (despire others' harsh criticisms): it was definitly an Indy movie. Sure, the dialogue/characterization stumbled a bit, and the CGI ants and Tarzan swinging were completely ridiculous, but I barely blinked during the movie. It was fun, adventurous, and returned Indy to the big screen: ALL GOOD with me! It also worked much better on my second viewing...not sure why yet.

Much like yourself, I've been a big Indy fan since I was a kid. I was born the same year Raiders was released - 1981 - so didn't discover and see the films until a year or so after Last Crusade was released (its my favorite of them all as well) on my best friends beat up old VHS releases. But from then on I was hooked. It was a bit after that when the Young Indy Chronicles started coming out, and I started watching religiously. I began picking up the spin-off media (novels, comics, video games, etc), and the train hasn't stopped since. The release of Crystal Skull brought me back around to the Indy bandwagon since it became less of a priority during high school, college, and the early portion of my 20's. But I've rediscovered my fondness for all things Indy ( ;) ) and loving every second of it.

Thanks again, BrodyIsDead, for bringing those impossible to find portions of your collection to fans. Also, keep an eye out...once Stoo returns from vacation I'll begin posting (and he'll begin translating) the next French Bagheera Indy comic. Not sure if you've read those, so if not check it out.

Stoo

Life is Good

BrodyIsDead said:

Darn tootin'! Yippee-kye-yay and Yee-HAW! The page looks fine, BrodyIsDead. Don't worry about that.
Besides, the sum is greater than its parts and this is a true gift to Indy fans. Karma does 'round.
Thanks so much for scanning them!(y)(y) :hat:

Plaristes said:
All hail BrodyIsDead, Dispenser of Indy Tales Rare and Valuable!
Indeed. Considering where I've recently been, this is very fitting. All hail, BrodyIsDead!

DIrishB said:
I just realized...Stoo's going to come back from vacation, stumble across this thread, then drop his jaw in shock. I know he's been looking for these gems (the Mountains scans on BrodyIsDead's site All Things Indy!) for awhile too.

Rob Dangerous and BrodyIsDead both came through big time in scanning those comic strips.
Yes, thank you both! Irish is right, how many times can we say it? He is also right about the jaw dropping.
I just got back from Rome, S.Italy & Sicily (the whole area of this particluar campaign) and saw Irish's PM message.
Picture Dietrich at the Ark opening for some visualization on how I reacted. The news was like a four barrelled shotgun!:gun:

1) An unheard-of, U.K. comic strip unearthed in the rummaging of a fan's collection. WOW! GREAT NEWS! Jaw drops.
2) It's a WW2 story. HOLY SHIZNIT! AMAZING! Eyes start popping out.
3) It the Battle of Monte Cassino aka the Battle for Rome. I WAS JUST THERE! Head implodes.
4) The father of a very, close family friend fought there with the Axis (he was Italian) so I've always had great interest
in this infamous battles. One of hardest in WW2. TOO MUCH. Head explodes.

I'd like to fix up the scans, though. Correct the angles, smooth out the wrinkles, juice up the colour, and crop them.
Maybe you could then replace the files? What do you think?

Kudos guys!:hat:

DIrishB said:
*DIrishB's head explodes from anticipation*
P.S. Just saw this! Crazy.:D

DIrishB

Stoo said:
I'd like to fix up the scans, though. Correct the angles, smooth out the wrinkles, juice up the colour, and crop them.
Maybe you could then replace the files? What do you think?

That'd be a good idea. I cropped and adjusted them a bit when I copied them to my comp (very simple), but if you have a program that can intensify the coloring or something on them that would probably make them look a little better, along with the wrinkles, etc.

Either way, I'm still loving these. I swear, I've been leafing through and reading the twelve strips at least once a day since Brody scanned them. Its like they're a long lost part of the Indy Expanded Universe collection and I'm welcoming them back into the fold. ;)

BrodyIsDead

No probs...

Hi, guys!

Stoo, glad you liked the Mountains of Superstition as much as I hoped everyone would...

And I've got no problems with the scans being cleaned up if you have the time to do that and then send me them - can you do that through PM here? If not I can PM you my email addy...

I'm not the world's best expert at scanning unfortunately and the one I have is quite old now...

Anyway... the Treasure of Monte Cassina is on its way by the end of the week, y'all...

:hat: