Indiana Jones Quiz

Junior Jones

This quiz is for experts in all things Indiana Jones. I have intentionally avoided calling it trivia, because I hope to avoid useless facts (like "How many times did Indy fire his gun in Raiders?"). Instead, the focus will be to provoke thought, inspire creativity, encourage scholarship, and spark discussion. (Lofty goals, I know. Especially for the Raven ;) )

Anyway, on to question #1:

Who is Marya Smirnova?

Junior Jones

temple of john said:
I hope this doesn't have to do with the TV show because I never watched it. She's a Russian tennis player that Indy was squashing.

Try again.

(Hint: She's from something far more obscure than the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.)

VP

Moderator Emeritus
She's a journalist from Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Pyramid, a French comic.

I googled that. :p

Junior Jones

Good work, VP!
cheater

There are actually three French Indiana Jones comics, and she's in all three. I bought them from amazon.fr a few years ago.

Although I took French in college, that was years ago and I'm not fluent at all. However, with my little French/English dictionary I have managed to translate one and am starting on the second.

I have enjoyed them. The art style is unique (at least to my American perspective). And what I understand of the stories seems very Indy-like.

Is there anyone else who has these or has read them?

(I'll eventually come up with Quiz Question #2 and post it here.)

Gilles V

Administrator Emeritus
I have all three the french Indy comics.
The first 2 are enjoyable but I didn't like the third "Grimoire Maudit" very much. To give 1 example, there is not 1 scene in the third strip in which Indy is wearing his fedora nor leather jacket. No sign of his whip either.
It's a story that could have been told perfectly with a different protagonist other than Indiana Jones.

But let's get back to the trivia quiz. :)

Heliograph

A journalist of Russian origin.

In Egypt, Indiana and a journalist named Marya Smirnova race Dr. Karl von Kraft of the University of Heidelberg to discover the secret of the pyramid.

(Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Pyramid - FCB)

Junior Jones

temple of john said:
How about a few questions from the movies.

Actually, I'm intentionally avoiding both the movies and the TV show, since the quiz is intended to be somewhat of a challenge. A lot of people here can quote pretty much the entire trilogy, so how could I hope to stump them?

IAdventurer01 said:
Wasn't she that chick that was in that book -- Indiana Jones and the Underground Railroad, or something like that?

Close enough! Lizzie Ravenall was actually in three books:
Young Indiana Jones and the Plantation Treasure (about the Underground Railroad)
Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Ruby Cross
Young Indiana Jones and the Mountain of Fire

Note: These books are NOT based on the TV series. They are based on River Phoenix's character in Last Crusade.

There are actually fifteen books in the series and, even though they were written for younger readers, I enjoy them a lot. In some ways even more than the novels by Rob MacGregor, et al.

Has anyone else read any of these? Feel free to comment while I work on Question #3.

Ska

I own the Plantation Treasure, but I've yet to actually read it (just flipped through the pages to look at the pretty pictures). I found it at a local yard sale.

Junior Jones

SKAbatula said:
I own the Plantation Treasure, but I've yet to actually read it (just flipped through the pages to look at the pretty pictures). I found it at a local yard sale.

Yours has pictures? Mine doesn't :(
(The cover is nice, though.)

IndyBuff

Junior Jones said:
Actually, I'm intentionally avoiding both the movies and the TV show, since the quiz is intended to be somewhat of a challenge. A lot of people here can quote pretty much the entire trilogy, so how could I hope to stump them?

Close enough! Lizzie Ravenall was actually in three books:
Young Indiana Jones and the Plantation Treasure (about the Underground Railroad)
Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Ruby Cross
Young Indiana Jones and the Mountain of Fire

Note: These books are NOT based on the TV series. They are based on River Phoenix's character in Last Crusade.

There are actually fifteen books in the series and, even though they were written for younger readers, I enjoy them a lot. In some ways even more than the novels by Rob MacGregor, et al.

Has anyone else read any of these? Feel free to comment while I work on Question #3.

I read them a lot when I was younger. They were very good from what I remember and they gave some great insight into Indy's past and his childhood. I used to have all of them but I can't find them anymore. Maybe my sister has them or they're buried in the attic (in an unmarked crate, perhaps? ;) )

They're certainly worth checking out. :whip:

I have a number of the Young Indy books, I think I'm down to only needing three of the 15 as they are hard to find, at least any above #9. Since I have most of the other Indy stuff I'm trying now to finish off the books. I have read the ones I have and do enjoy them. Nothing great, but for kids books they are fun to read.

Next I'll have to try and get my hands on the German books.

Stoo

Junior Jones said:
Yours has pictures? Mine doesn't :(
(The cover is nice, though.)
I've never seen these books but from what everyone is saying
they sound worth the hunt. Some of the covers seem well done.
They certainly have a pulp look to them. My personal faves are
"Curse of the Ruby Cross" and "Mountain of Fire".

Great quiz, Jr. Jones. Keep it going... :)

Junior Jones

Question #3

I hope you're all enjoying this as much as I am. Not just the quiz questions, but the discussions about some of the not-so-mainstream Jones adventures.

Anyway, on to Question #3:

When did Indy meet up with his "long lost brother" New Jersey Jones?

Junior Jones

Junior Jones said:
When did Indy meet up with his "long lost brother" New Jersey Jones?

Wow! I didn't expect this one to be so hard. Maybe we should allow cheating on this one (although I don't think google will help).

I'll give it a little more time before I reveal the answer...