Mask of Evil (İstanbul)

tupogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupogirl
So you are literally just going to places he went or you just happened to go there?
It's all coincidental. Indy went to almost all the major cities of Europe so when travelling to these places,
it's very natural to think of him on his different adventures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupogirl
And Budapest.
You might want to wait another 5-10 years until they get up to speed. Right now, it's kind of bleak. (Sorry to any Hungarians out there)
Biggest culture shock I've felt to date. However, there is the House of Terror museum which focuses on the Nazi & Soviet occupation.
It was built a few years ago, and is hands-down the most incredible, interactive, multimedia musuem I've ever been to. Two big thumbs up!
Plus, Budapest has a really old, funky, wooden-carriage subway system that is too wild to behold. You really get the idea that you're somewhere else.
("This doesn't look like Kansas, Toto.")

Haha, that is true, he did go to major cities in Europe! And major US cities too.

It will be awhile before we can travel the way we want to. It's fun to daydream.

Stoo

I know it can be hard (especially with a looming recession coming on) but...save those pennies!
Budapest is not very expensive once you get there. Meet you in Istanbul!;)

Hey, Lando, where are you?

tupogirl

Stoo said:
I know it can be hard (especially with a looming recession coming on) but...save those pennies!
Budapest is not very expensive once you get there. Meet you in Istanbul!;)

Our next BIG travel adventure is San Diego (family). I think I (by myself) could do Europe very cheaply, it's the husband and the kids thrown in that I'm not sure about;).

Hey Stoo, Yeah, was there a couple of years ago, actually more years ago then I;d like it to be. Stayed around the Haggia Sofia area, so spent most of the time in and around that and the Blue Mosque, which incidentally appears to be the roof top our ex Kazim fell off, went to the market, lots of Soviet era medals, guns, and other artefacts, really cool antique shops, would love to go there with a bit of money. Also to the underground Roman Cistern from ''from russia with Love'' which is amazing, big pillared space, old Roman resevoir, though to any other civilisation at the time it'd be a church, good ole Romans, never do things by halves.

What else.. Hmmm, went to Museums of course, they've got bits of the walls of Babylon, which I was very excited about, all in Blue glazed tile, apparantly German Archaeologists shipped the whole Ishtar gate back to Berlin where it stands whole, gotta see that some day.

What else, Istanbul, oh yeah, went for a boat ride in the Bosphorous of course, which was cinematic, most of the trip was spent hunting down the Syrian embassies to get Visas for the next leg of our trip, unfortunately we needed recommedations from the Irish embassy (being Irish) double unfortunately the Irish Consulate in Istanbul had closed two weeks before, and had shipped out, so it took a week of buzzing around Turkey, and negotiating ridiculous amounst of red tape to finally get those Visas. Fun though. Very Indiana Jones moments involved...

Yeah, istanbul was great, gotta go back, it was the first leg on a six week trip, Istanbul to Cairo overland. Would also recommend that to ANYONE indiana jones inclined. Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Egypt. Yeah... thats the thing about memories, they have the quality of a faded photograph..

Stoo

Jeremiah Jones said:
Also to the underground Roman Cistern from ''from russia with Love'' which is amazing, big pillared space, old Roman resevoir, though to any other civilisation at the time it'd be a church, good ole Romans, never do things by halves.
Yes, I definitely want to go down there! It's also used briefly in the Young Indy episode.
Sounds like you had an amazing trip! The boat ride must have been wild.
Thanks for the insight re: domed rooftops.:hat:

Jeremiah Jones said:
What else.. Hmmm, went to Museums of course, they've got bits of the walls of Babylon, which I was very excited about, all in Blue glazed tile, apparantly German Archaeologists shipped the whole Ishtar gate back to Berlin where it stands whole, gotta see that some day.
I actually saw the Ishtar gate about 2 months ago! It is in the Pergamon Museum.
The blue tiles really stand out and must have been quite a sight to approach them back in the day.
(The same museum also has the Altar of Zeus! Worth seeing.)

Lando

as low-budget film maker i m planing to make a short film about gallipoli war. and i m trying to find a budget around 15 grand usd. If i find it i m gonna make it with cool graphics (like cloning people to make amfibic assault like private ryan look) So if i budget i will go to Çanakkale(dardannels) which is 6 ours away from my hometown , and i maybe also shoot in istanbul too, i will post and upload videos about this journey if anyone instrest...

Lando

in august i ll see , if i ll have the budget or not and then ... the journey starts :) may be i can add map and red line sequence to the behind the scenes videos for you guys lol :whip:

Lando

whooa its been a very long time ..since i submitted posts. unfortunately i couldnt find good funding for my project and i cancelled it. :( but at least i can make a personal trip and take some photos about it...

anyway, i watched the episode again recently i m still enjoying... :)

MaverickKing

I remember seeing Mask of Evil for the first time. I could barely tell it was Young Indiana Jones, I was too busy wigging out at Vlad.

Finally caught the episode. I liked both a lot, as mentioned in the thread the stories, lighting, mood were all fantastic.

I do think the "language duel was humorous though, (enjoyed the sign language bit). Scaling the wall turned out funny thoughthe whole: "trust me it's the quickest way" was a bit ham handed. They used it well building the tension with the door opening. I still liked both of these jokes.

Both stories spent an inordinate amount of time walking, though the sets and scenery were great.

The identity of The Wolf was painfully obvious, was that Kazim from Last Crusade who was thrown during the rooftop fight? I'll have to check the credits/watch again.

Did Molly die in a state of sin or did she receive absolution before she...

The honesty theme was pretty heavy and I thought Molly would not have found out the truth.

Is it possible the bridge over the Venice Canal was the same as the one from Last Crusade?

The Ball Lightning seemed unnecessary, and stupid. I would rather have seen Vlad command a pack of wolves.

The long walks would have been a good time for some exposition...loved the superstition/Tarot and camp full of POW Vampires. Too bad that wasn't developed more.

Lots of great ideas, some well executed, some a bit plodding, (I did NOT like the crossfades). Would have loved to see the whip in a few parts...maybe staving off those wolves we only heard.

Disappointing only these two stories on the one disk. Off to check out the extras!

All in all thumbs up so far, (I understand it's TV).

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
was that Kazim from Last Crusade who was thrown during the rooftop fight? I'll have to check the credits/watch again.)
Yes, it was.:D (There was a Raven member who used to be his lawyer for a few years!)
Rocket Surgeon said:
Did Molly die in a state of sin or did she receive absolution before she...
That is unknwon and entirely up for debate!:eek: "The Mystery of Molly and her Pre-Marital Shenanigans..."
Rocket Surgeon said:
Is it possible the bridge over the Venice Canal was the same as the one from Last Crusade?
No, unfortunately. I checked that years ago, to my dismay. Would've been a nice touch.:(
Rocket Surgeon said:
The Ball Lightning seemed unnecessary, and stupid).
Being interested in this phenomenon, I rather liked it...no matter how cheesy it comes across.
Rocket Surgeon said:
Lots of great ideas, some well executed, some a bit plodding, (I did NOT like the crossfades).
Which "Crossfades"?:confused:

Le Saboteur

Some clever bastard made two threads for this episode.

Stoo said:
Even though it might be near impossible, the street locations are the ones I want to find the most.

Near impossible, yes, but not completely. If we ignore the Asian side of the Bosporus, that's already a smaller target area; a circle drawn around Galata Tower and the immediate area of The Golden Horn should be where we'd want to look. If I were to place money, I'd consider first looking at some of the side streets surrounding the Grand Bazaar. From my recollections, there's some very similar sloped streets there. The biggest deterrent is, of course, the fact that Istanbul was built on seven hills, just like Rome. However, I'd focus on those streets that were closest to the Sea of Marmara & the Bosporus.

You can see just how much Blue Iznik tile work went into the interior of the mosque in this shot.

4041728274_ea09819ecc_b.jpg

The following snaps were taken near the Blue Mosque and the Topkapi Palace respectively.

4040983127_cba8fff456_b.jpg

4041714338_8cd8c6c18e_b.jpg

There's a few more snaps over here. I'll need to dig through my other pictures to see if there's anything else that could be helpful.

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
Some clever bastard made two threads for this episode.
It was actually 2 different people but I get where you're coming from.;)
Le Saboteur said:
If I were to place money, I'd consider first looking at some of the side streets surrounding the Grand Bazaar. From my recollections, there's some very similar sloped streets there. The biggest deterrent is, of course, the fact that Istanbul was built on seven hills, just like Rome. However, I'd focus on those streets that were closest to the Sea of Marmara & the Bosporus.
Thanks for your insight, Sab. When I get the chance*, I'll try and have a look but the original poster, Lando (who is a local), mentioned "streets are mostly cihangir, backside of Beyoğlu and İstiklal street." Don't know if they are the same areas but your bottom photo looks very similar to the episode! Have you seen this thread? Filming Locations

*Talked to my friend and she is not in town for July & August so if I'm going to Istanbul it'll be sometime in June or the coming fall.

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Lando (who is a local), mentioned "streets are mostly cihangir, backside of Beyoğlu and İstiklal street." Don't know if they are the same areas but your bottom photo looks very similar to the episode!

Yeah, I saw that after I posted. We're essentially talking about the same areas. Itisklal Street is the main drag through Beyoğlu, and is essentially one long shopping mall -- lots of shops, restaurants, cinemas, Niketown, etc. I'm not sure what he's referring to as the "backside of Beyoğlu," but there are some side streets in the area that could work.

Cihangir is an interesting idea. It's been built up over the years, and a lot of the so-called "creative class" (expat & local) has moved into the area. Nice neighborhood, but not where I would've thought to look. Some of the older buildings do exist, but a lot of it looks like Seventies-era construction. You know the type.

Here's a sample:

cih7.jpg

More exist over here.

This would all be a moot point, of course, if I had remembered the episode in the first place. I would've already done the leg work!

Stoo said:
Have you seen this thread? Filming Locations

Yep! I thought I would move our conversation on Istanbul over here, instead of the thread on the Transylvania portion of this episode. Until we pinpoint the location, I thought we'd leave the speculation over here.

If you do go to Istanbul in June, you'll be just in time for the grand re-opening of the Pera Palace Hotel! Personally, I prefer to visit during the Winter months when nobody's around. Things are cheaper, too.

N.B. - Are the pictures too big? This new monitor makes everything seem 'normal'. If they're too big, I can post a smaller image. These are the "large" variety.

Last edited: