Deleted scenes

Zucot

I think I spotted a new spot for a deleted scene today, forgive me if it's already been discussed.

Its in TOD, when Willie is getting lowered into the lava and Short Round escapes to go find Indy. Short Round grabs Indy and shakes his arm right before getting slapped by Indy. Right at the beginning of this scene, as Short Round is about to grab Indy, you can see one of the Thuggee guards doubled over. I suspect that there's a scene where Short Round ambushes the guard or something like that.

Anyone else ever notice this?

Palaceslave_82

There's no excuse for the Blu-Ray editions to be anything but mind-blowing where extras are concerned. Just when you think you know everything about deleted scenes, ( esp about your fave of the four films,mine of course being "Temple"), I was just reading about additional footage shot for the mine chase that was cut. Apparently there was a shot of the cart splashing through lava, as well as a lava avalanche planned! I'm guessing the latter was dropped in favor of the gushing water flood from the broken cistern, but seeing them chased by molten lava would have been super.

russds

That is interesting, where did you read that? Was that mentioned shown on the blu ray?

Palaceslave_82 said:
There's no excuse for the Blu-Ray editions to be anything but mind-blowing where extras are concerned. Just when you think you know everything about deleted scenes, ( esp about your fave of the four films,mine of course being "Temple"), I was just reading about additional footage shot for the mine chase that was cut. Apparently there was a shot of the cart splashing through lava, as well as a lava avalanche planned! I'm guessing the latter was dropped in favor of the gushing water flood from the broken cistern, but seeing them chased by molten lava would have been super.

Palaceslave_82

I read it on the Raider.net in an article about alternate drafts, ( sorry, my iPhone isn't being cooperative posting the link). To my knowledge, neither this footage, nor any of the other verified scenes, ( Maharajah practicing with Indy's whip after dinner,briefly revealing to Shorty he is possessed/ Willie escaping the temple and trying to convince Chattar Lal of the horrors they face, etc.)

Why they're denying the true blue Indy fans this and other material, I couldn't begin to guess.

Palaceslave_82 said:
Why they're denying the true blue Indy fans this and other material, I couldn't begin to guess.

Well, there's the marketing material, which proclaims(if history is anything to consider): availablefor the first-time on BluRay.

Frank Marshall's "The Making of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" isn't on the bluray either.

Consider those two statements and you're still not likely to get everything in the next (or last) release...

Stoo

Zucot said:
I think I spotted a new spot for a deleted scene today, forgive me if it's already been discussed.

Its in TOD, when Willie is getting lowered into the lava and Short Round escapes to go find Indy. Short Round grabs Indy and shakes his arm right before getting slapped by Indy. Right at the beginning of this scene, as Short Round is about to grab Indy, you can see one of the Thuggee guards doubled over. I suspect that there's a scene where Short Round ambushes the guard or something like that.

Nice catch, Zucot!:hat: Yes, there was definitely a scuffle that was cut. Shorty attacks a priest at that point in the script:

"Short Round suddenly darts out onto the altar and Mola Ram sees him and yells. Several priests grab for Shorty. He eludes the first priest, smashes the second in the stomach with his head, and runs like a little quaterback towards the fiery torch."

As the film shows, Mr. Round obviously attacked a guard (rather than a priest) and not just 1 but 2 of them. First we see him in the tunnel behind the altar then, the next time we see Shorty, he & a guard are getting up from the ground next to the pit. Another guard is standing beside them but bends over in pain while holding his forearm. (Maybe Shorty gave that guy a karate chop! Hi-YA!)

Palaceslave_82 said:
I was just reading about additional footage shot for the mine chase that was cut. Apparently there was a shot of the cart splashing through lava, as well as a lava avalanche planned! I'm guessing the latter was dropped in favor of the gushing water flood from the broken cistern, but seeing them chased by molten lava would have been super.
---
I read it on the Raider.net in an article about alternate drafts, ( sorry, my iPhone isn't being cooperative posting the link). To my knowledge, neither this footage, nor any of the other verified scenes, ( Maharajah practicing with Indy's whip after dinner,briefly revealing to Shorty he is possessed/ Willie escaping the temple and trying to convince Chattar Lal of the horrors they face, etc.)
I would really love to know how the authour of that article (Bellosh) learned about those lava/mine-cart scenes being filmed because he wrote that Chatter Lal in the lava pit wasn't filmed but we now know that it was. (See: Posts #68 & #72 of this thread.)

For Russ, here's a link to the article: Raiders of the Lost Drafts

Palaceslave, where has it been verified that the scene of the Maharajah practicing with the whip was filmed?:confused:

russds

Stoo said:
For Russ, here's a link to the article: Raiders of the Lost Drafts

Thanks for that Stoo, I hand't read that before. That's a very interesting read for anyone interested in deleted scenes. Especially for ToD, where it basically walks you through the movie, and points out where certain scenes would go, and if shot or not.

Does anybody know who "bellosh" is and how he got his information though? Some of his knowledge in this essay seems incredible. And, as you pointed out he mentioned that that Chatter Lal death scene was never shot, even though it appears it was, so then then I have to question everything he says. Even still, there's some really interesting stuff in there.

russds

Zucot said:

I actually did notice that. Here's a screen grab for reference:
shortydart_zpsc4cd7cfa.jpg
It appears one got a kick to the stomach, and one got his hand cut (possibly by Shorty's knife). As pointed out by Stoo, this was in the script. The whole scene here, I thought was a bit choppy, it appears they cut bits and pieces, at point there are people on the plat form, at the next moment there is just one fighting Indy, plus this is supposedly where Chatter Lal gets cooked. I've always thought the scene looked choppy.

Stoo

russds said:
...and one got his hand cut (possibly by Shorty's knife).
That's a possibility I hadn't even considered. Good thinking, Russ!:hat:

As for who "Bellosh" is (and where his info comes from): His article was written back in 2000, which (I think) was the year TheRaider.net began so perhaps one of the long-time administrators would know.
Texas said:
How were the deleted scenes on the Blu Ray disc?
Yes, can someone please give a complete breakdown of all the clips that are included? I know that they're compiled together into a 2-minute montage but some more details would be nice.

The Blu-rays were released 2 weeks ago and it's surprising that nobody here has elaborated on the deleted scenes yet. (I'd do it but don't have the Blu-rays in my hands at this point in time.:()

@Digitalfreak: Thanks for the posting those screengrabs. Do you feel like giving some more information?

russds

Stoo said:
...can someone please give a complete breakdown of all the clips that are included? I know that they're compiled together into a 2-minute montage but some more details would be nice.

Yes! I was hoping, and going to ask the same thing. I would love any information on that 2min montage, or even additional outtakes from Raiders which i think is interspersed into the "On Set With Raiders..." footage. Would even (wishful thinking i know :) ) love to see someone upload the 2min clip. I would do it, I don't yet have a blu-ray player, so my initial investment to get and see the disks is a bit too much at the moment.

Stoo

russds said:
Would even (wishful thinking i know :) ) love to see someone upload the 2min clip. I would do it, I don't yet have a blu-ray player, so my initial investment to get and see the disks is a bit too much at the moment.
No! Anyone who uploads the deleted scenes (so soon after the Blu-ray release) should have their ass whipped until it bleeds.:whip:

russds

Maybe I'm not up on my forum/internet etiquette and with all due respect, why is that? Since its only 2 minutes, I wouldn't think it would diminish the value of the BD set.

Stoo said:
No! Anyone who uploads the deleted scenes (so soon after the Blu-ray release) should have their ass whipped until it bleeds.:whip:

Kooshmeister

Here's something I noticed watching Last Crusade the other day. When the floor is breaking up at the end, we see Elsa slipping as the part she's on tilts back, leaving her half in, half out of the crack. Two German soldiers do a running leap from the portion of the floor raised above/behind her, and land a few feet in front of her; one off to the right (her left) and one directly in front of her.

When the shot cuts to show Indy rushing to aid Elsa, both Germans are gone. In a huge blink-and-you'll-miss-it bit, at the very, very start of the shot after the Germans jump and land, if you look to the left you'll see a blurry German soldier beside Elsa. He quickly slides out of frame and presumably into the crack to his death. This would appear to be the guy who landed to one side of her. It can't be the dude who landed in front of her, otherwise, in sliding down, he would've crashed into her. So where did the other German go?

The entire "floor breakup" sequence is a bit choppy, with shots showing the knight when he isn't supposed to be there, Germans and Hatayans disappearing between shots. Rob MacGregor's novelization contends all the German soldiers fall to their deaths trying and failing to jump the crack, but it honestly appears as if only the one guy does. I assume the guy who landed in front of Elsa was able to scrabble up. And certainly in the background of the shot of Indy sliding down to grab Elsa, you can see another German and a Hatayan running past Sallah, Marcus et al to get out. And even during the scene of Elsa greedily reaching for the Grail we can hear distant receding shouting in German. However exactly how many of the Germans present made it, and how many died, is up for grabs.

If needs be, I'll get screenshots soonish.

Kooshmeister

Okay, nabbed these real quick.

As Elsa dives for the Grail, we see two Hatayans and five Germans. The German on the left stumbles offscreen and disappears after this shot.

breakup1.jpg

The crack gets bigger and the side the bad guys are on starts rising up. On the left, you can see one of the Hatayans trying to get up after having fallen down. On the right, the other Hatayan and a single German appear to be safely in the same area as Indy, Henry, Marcus and Sallah. Three Germans are still on the opposite side at this point.

breakup2.jpg

Two of the Germans still on the other side make a running leap and cross the crack, but the floor starts to tilt. Elsa also falls but catches herself on the lip of the tilting floor section (the one who makes the first leap appears to be Donovan's goggled driver). Notice now, also, the lefthand part of the floor has tilted and the Hatayan there tumbles left and offscreen but we don't see him slide in. Methinks he fell in? One German left on the side with the knight; that one German and the remaining Hatayan still safely on the side with Indy et al.

breakup3.jpg

breakup4.jpg

And there he goes. The German who was on the right above slides past Elsa to his doomy doom. However the guy who landed in front of her is gone! I think this shot was shortened, showing the one German sliding down and the other one successfully making it out or perhaps he too slid past Elsa to his death.

breakup6s.jpg

As Indy races to the rescue, you can see the head of the German on the same side as them, and the turban of the last Hatayan, on the left there. They promptly run off, go behind Sallah and Henry, and are never seen again, nor is the last German still on the opposite side of the chasm. How we still hear receding shouting in German after this shot so I assume at least two Germans and one Hatayan made it out.

breakup7.jpg

Last edited:

Goodeknight

That's an impressively detailed take on that scene, Kosh.

However, you can't scrutinize a scene like this as if they did one, single take, and shot it in real time.

When it comes to major scenes like this (with FX, tilting floors, collapses, etc.) does anyone know how many times they shot it or how long it took them to shoot it? This could have been days of work. Doing something in one take, like the TOD bridge cutting scene, is a major deal and certainly not the norm.

Now, a scene like TOD where you see two dudes doubled over in pain in the background, with no explanation as to why, then something was cut.

But for any scene, they probably have 10 takes in the can. I'd guess a bare minimum of 20 hours of principal camera footage was shot for LC. Not everything was printed, but string together multiple takes and of course you're going to ditch a lot of footage.

I'd only count it as a deleted scene if it's something that could be crossed out of the script.

Kooshmeister

Eh, I just figured some shots got cut, and didn't wanna start a new thread. If it doesn't quite count, it can be moved to its own thread by a mod. I was half asleep when I posted it anyway. :sleep:

russds

I got these from this video. I think (the video is in german) these are from the blu-ray, but I dont' actually have it, so i can't confirm that. Either way, they seem to make a good addition to this thread.

ScreenShot2012-10-07at100513PM_zps2c930331.png

ScreenShot2012-10-07at100530PM_zps5bc136e9.png

ScreenShot2012-10-07at100555PM_zps5904d8ef.png