National Geographic Adventure of Archaeology Exhibition

The Drifter

Stoo said:
Me post. Me hope you like. Me hope you happy.:D

Voilà!
Exhibit_SchematicDetail.jpg

P.S. This technical drawing is on a piece of vellum paper approx. 3-4 feet in length (90-120 cm). I took 4 photos of seperate sections and am going to stitch them all together into 1 complete image.:)

Much thanks, Stoo!

Me thinks someone first slept with an alien if that's what they think would resemble anything 'clitoral".

Stoo

Celebrating the Exhibit Opening in Spain

TOMORROW, the exhibit opens in Spain and Christmas is only a few days away. In honour of both these events, here is a 'Christmas-ish' photo from my visit. (I also have a good one of the Cross of Coronado but the colours aren't as fitting for the Yuletide season.)

Feliz Navidad!:D Hope some of you Spanish Ravenheads manage to make it to the exhibit in 2012.

Exhibit_CruciformSword.jpg

Great pic...was that belonging to the Grail Knight? Was there accompanying text?

Stoo said:
TOMORROW, the exhibit opens in Spain and Christmas is only a few days away. In honour of both these events, here is a 'Christmas-ish' photo from my visit. (I also have a good one of the Cross of Coronado but the colours aren't as fitting for the Yuletide season.)
You just need the Frankincense and Myrrh...

Besides the sacrifice aspect it's probably a bit too ghetto for the little fellow. Don't want him to O.G.

Stoo said:
Feliz Navidad!:D Hope some of you Spanish Ravenheads manage to make it to the exhibit in 2012.
There's a big Spanish contingent out there...Rob's Indy Opinion segments gets more than a few votes from España.

Stoo said:
The IFC Center in NYC was flanked by Tattoo stores, at least five of them...I was flirting with getting my first, but my Seaman Reeve subtly talked me out of it.

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Great pic...was that belonging to the Grail Knight? Was there accompanying text?
I can't recall if there was any accompanying text. (Anyone remember? Attila? Les? Laird?) There was a video on the hand-held device, though, which can be seen here: http://www.indianajonestheexhibition.com/the-brotherhood-of-the-cruciform-sword.html

As to where that prop appears: Let's take the question to this excellent thread: Origin of the Grail Cross / Cruciform Sword design?
Rocket Surgeon said:
You just need the Frankincense and Myrrh...

Besides the sacrifice aspect it's probably a bit too ghetto for the little fellow. Don't want him to O.G.
By, "little fellow", you must mean Baby Jesus...but what is "O.G."? :confused: Annotated-Rocket-Surgeon version, please!:p
Rocket Surgeon said:
There's a big Spanish contingent out there...Rob's Indy Opinion segments gets more than a few votes from España.
That is for sure. (An Indy-dedicated, Spanish website even did a report about my YouTube channel exactly 1 year ago.) Let's hope some paella-eatin' Ravenheads & IndyCast listeners get a chance to see the exhibit. Their country's size is a small fraction of North America and they have almost double the amount of time to visit so there is NO EXCUSE for them to miss it!:whip:

---
Speaking of España, this Cross of Coronado photo would probably be better suited for Easter but it makes a nice follow-up to the Cruciform Sword prop.:)

Notice the unfinished decoration on the right end of the crossbar (detailed below):

Exhibit_CoronadoCross.jpg

Exhibit_CoronadoCross2.jpg

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Notice the unfinished decoration on the right end of the crossbar (detailed below):

Unfinished, or it's just lost one of its agate (?) balls?

Cross.jpg

The one above is in better condition, still with the strips of mother of pearl inlay. The one from the Exhibition looks like it could have been used in the fight aboard the Vasquez de Coronado.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
There still is a cross (though technically a crucifix as it has Christs body on it) on a shelf behind glass along with a Grail, at the end of the second floor near the elevator at ILM when I was there and it was intact missing no agate.

Goodeknight

Rocket Surgeon said:
376230_297645420269445_100000719686218_966412_2073572549_n.jpg

375510_297639830270004_100000719686218_966386_1649696722_n.jpg

Thanks to The National Cigar Museum!:hat:

So, is that to say that Marion's cigar box isn't the actual prop from the movie? Different brand, and you can tell it's a different box from the screen grab. Is it being passed off as a screen used prop? Hmmm, suspicious.

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
It's from the movie "I'm Gonna Get You Sucka", the relevant bit begins at ) 0:54
Thanks, 'bro. Now I'm more hip than I was yesterday.;)
Montana Smith said:
Unfinished, or it's just lost one of its agate (?) balls?
Unfinished in that it's also missing some blue paint.
RaiderMitch said:
There still is a cross (though technically a crucifix as it has Christs body on it) on a shelf behind glass along with a Grail, at the end of the second floor near the elevator at ILM when I was there and it was intact missing no agate.
Could it be the one in the photo that Montana Smith posted?
goodeknight said:
So, is that to say that Marion's cigar box isn't the actual prop from the movie? Different brand, and you can tell it's a different box from the screen grab. Is it being passed off as a screen used prop? Hmmm, suspicious.
Yes, it's intended to be a genuine prop but as we theorized last year, it's possible that the real box was burned to ashes when the set went up in flames.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Unfinished in that it's also missing some blue paint.

It's missing quite a bit of paint compared to the other one, which makes me think it got damaged through rough handling.

But I wonder about the mother of pearl strips on the intact one, because the prop used in the film didn't have them:

010.jpg

052.jpg

Billy Ray

Stoo said:
Since the tank chase in "Crusade" was filmed in the country of the exhibit's next stop...

The not-in-focus pen is mighter than the sword!

Exhibit_Pen.jpg

A little off topic, I know, but Satruday Night Live totally ruined the "pen is mightier" bit in TLC for me with "Sean Connery" asking for "The ***** mightier for 200 Alex"...I even read it that way when I read the above :D

Stoo

Belloq - 1 of 3

Belloq's ceremonial outfit was there in all its glory. More photos will follow...

His breastplate: Due to the display's lighting, the translucent quality of the jewels aren't apparent in this photo. Here, they look like opaque, solid rocks. (Compare it to the photo in the "Lucasfilm Archives" book and you'll see the difference.)

Exhibit_Belloq1.jpg

Daley

This is also one of my favourite outfits from the films, I enjoy the different fabric textures and weaves, and the layers that make up the actual costume. It must've been fun for Freeman to wear, quite a contrast to the other more refined outfits Belloq wears.
Was the turban included in the exhibition?
Very interesting to see the jewelled breastplate in such detail, and how the lighting makes them appear to be solid stones. I'd love to see this particular piece in person. One day!

Thank you for sharing your pictures Stoo :hat:

Here is another link with a few more small pictures from the exhibition, now in Valencia.
http://www.cac.es/museo/exposiciones/ficha/?contentId=118829

Stoo

Daley said:
This is also one of my favourite outfits from the films, I enjoy the different fabric textures and weaves, and the layers that make up the actual costume. It must've been fun for Freeman to wear, quite a contrast to the other more refined outfits Belloq wears.
Was the turban included in the exhibition?
Very interesting to see the jewelled breastplate in such detail, and how the lighting makes them appear to be solid stones. I'd love to see this particular piece in person. One day!

Thank you for sharing your pictures Stoo :hat:
Yes, Daley, the turban was there (as well as Belloq's staff) and I took pictures of them both. The above photo would make a nice addition to your thread, The Costumes of Indiana Jones, but figured it would be fitting to post it here first.;)
Montana Smith said:
It's missing quite a bit of paint compared to the other one, which makes me think it got damaged through rough handling.

But I wonder about the mother of pearl strips on the intact one, because the prop used in the film didn't have them:
Rough handling could explain the missing pearl stud but NOT the unpainted, blue bits and the mother-of-pearl strips seem to be present in the scene where River Phoenix steals the cross. (It appears that, *at least*, two props were made for the Cross of Coronado.)

WilliamBoyd8

Belloq's ceremonial outfit looks to me to be similar to this one
worn by Byzantine Emperor John on the left:

post_hagiasophia_johnirene.jpg

Hagia Sophia Church, Istanbul, John and Irene Mosaic, around AD 1122

:)

Stoo

inky_skin said:
GREAT news, Inky!(y) However, the article actually says November 1st, 2014 for Edmonton. So that's more than a 2 year gap after Valencia (which ends September 16, 2012) and would be enough time for 2 or 3 other cities inbetween.

Three weeks ago, the "Star Wars: Identities" exhibit opened in Montreal (same creators & venue as the Indy exhibition) and it also runs until September 16, 2012 before moving on to Edmonton, Alberta. The TELUS World of Science must have secured both Lucas exhibits at the same time.

The official web site for the Indy exhibit isn't listing the Edmonton dates yet but the fact that Montreal was originally planned as the only N.American city, *could possibly* be a sign that unscheduled stops in the U.S. will be added on in the future. Keep your fingers crossed, Yanks!:D

Archaeos

Some objects from the NatGeo exhibition will move from Valencia to be on show at the V&A in London from 20 Sept 2012 until 27 Jan 2013, with possible option to prolong (see here). So any new venue slots for the NatGeo exhibition would be starting from March 2013 earliest. I could imagine something pops up as a venue, as crating and storing exhibitions is very expensive, especially textiles.

inky_skin

Thanks for the correction Stoo. So, the whole of 2013 is up for grabs then. I've done some trawling on the web, and the following article promises (in its last paragraph) further stops in Europe and the Asia-Pacific region...

http://www.newsarama.com/film/indiana-jones-and-archaeology-exhibition-110414.html

No firm detail, but a reliable source. I was at the British Museum last week and they had no info on whether it would visit there. However, in terms of additional venues (and this is just supposition) a good deal of the travelling artifacts come from an archeology/anthropology exhibit in Pennsylvania - so surely that location is a shoe-in for North America ?