Indiana Jones in New Haven - news, updates and everything else

DarthLowBudget said:
Pics of Ray Winstone:

img_0084b.png

img_0083b.png

And the accompanying text from the source:

Haha nevermind just slow loaded on my page. Anyway he looks way different than I have seen him in the past! I am glad the CIA will have a presence int his film. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:

DarthLowBudget

They might be timing out. They were pretty big, but they worked fine when I previewed my post before posting. Anyone now how to fix this?

EDIT: Now I can see them for some reason, what gives?

Finn

Staff member
Winstone's dressing does look a lot like that of a government agent's. I can really see a plotline forming here. If Blanchett really plays a Soviet spy, it could be that it's her character and Winstone's standing in the different ends of the scale. Indy then ends up standing in the middle, not really wanting to take either side.

tnswman

Well, I can see The evil communists wanting to use a powerful artifactagainst the world and the USA wanting to use the artifact against the soviets. that would Make Indy the protector of the artifact and the one who has to keep it away from either side.

Maybe the Ark is back in play as a weapon. I can see SS and GL making a faction of the US government seem as bad as any villian. It just makes Indy that much better.

I like the idea of Indy being whipped into action by major events. I like it when Indy is focused and mad. Like he is on the motorcycle.

How can anyone think that Harrison would let this character act feeble and old? Face it. They want Indy to be a bad a$$...he will be just as physical and probably use his age to beat the enemy with experience.

scifiwolf

I met Steven and Tom on the set of Minority Report a while back. It was very much the same atmosphere. He and Tom were both very friendly and jokesters of sorts. You know, I think I remember hearing he's always been that way. I guess if you do what you love all your life, it helps to stay young at heart.

tnswman said:
Well, I can see The evil communists wanting to use a powerful artifactagainst the world and the USA wanting to use the artifact against the soviets. that would Make Indy the protector of the artifact and the one who has to keep it away from either side.

That's what I figured it'd be. Also seeing as Ray Winstone isn't always the most friendly guy in his movies, I am thinking he is a bit against Indy as well. He might not go to the lengths the Soviets would but he still has bad intentions for tha artifact.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/801/801233p1.html

An Indy Wedding?
More news from New Haven.
by IGN Staff

July 3, 2007 - Warning: this article contains spoilers relating to Indiana Jones IV.

With production on the new Indy flick kicking off in New Haven, Connecticut, numerous sources on the scene are pitching in with set reports, action descriptions of scenes with Harrison Ford and co-star Shia LaBeouf. Garnering some of the most attention and talk is Shia's pompadour hairdo ? a nice touch that places the characters and story squarely in the Fifties.

The New Haven Register has also managed to find out more on where more filming would take place. "There will be classroom shots, exterior shots and the prerequisite chase scene that includes the Old Campus, Phelps Gate and Yale's library," stated the paper. As a side note, special measures were taken to make sure exhaust fumes from the vehicles involved (presumably including Shia's motorbike) didn't come into contact with Yale's rare book collection.

Meanwhile, on a transformed Chapel Street, dozens of extras walked around in in authentic fifties garb, even carrying authentic-looking period newspapers as Spielberg and his crew set up the big chase scenes.

The paper also tips that word has spread among crew members that a nearby tourist attraction, the Essex Steam Train, a vintage locomotive, may be featured in the film.

There are also new hints about a possible wedding scene that may appear in the film. Could Indy be tying the knot after all of these years? We don't know, but filming for the rumored on-screen nuptials is taking place outside the First Congregational Church. A New Haven Public Works employee told the Register, "It's my understanding there is supposed to be some kind of wedding inside the church." The actual wedding scene, whoever it includes, will reportedly be shot in Hollywood.

Filming seems to be coming smoothly, but the production hasn't been without minor hiccups. The New Haven Independent reports that on Thursday after a long series of motorcycle chase scene takes, a stunt driver fell off his bike and required hospitalization for his injuries.

Spielberg and his crew are expected to continue filming in New Haven until July 6th.

HMMMMMMM I think we may get a Jones/Ravenwood wedding as the ending.

joelwatts

I bet we see the chase crash a wedding. That seems like Spielberg humor. Like when Indy pops through the manhole in Venice, "Ah, Venice."

A wedding at the end seems cheesy.

joelwatts said:
I bet we see the chase crash a wedding. That seems like Spielberg humor. Like when Indy pops through the manhole in Venice, "Ah, Venice."

A wedding at the end seems cheesy.

It does indeed...however if this is indeed the last installment it doe shave degree of finality to it. I do like your idea though!

joelwatts

Movies like this don't have wedding scenes unless something happens in the middle of it that leads to the next piece of action. These aren't dramas, so each scene is propeling the story forward. If Indy and Marion are married, it has already happened. Just my guess.

Indy1986

Just to get this right
Abner Ravenwood was marion's father he was the one who brought her to Nepal right ???
Once I always used to think that Abner Ravenwood was Marion's ex-husband and that she just had kept his name.Since in one scene Indy says to Marcus "do you think she is still with him"....

bergstrom

Indy1986 said:
Just to get this right
Abner Ravenwood was marion's father he was the one who brought her to Nepal right ???
Once I always used to think that Abner Ravenwood was Marion's ex-husband and that she just had kept his name.Since in one scene Indy says to Marcus "do you think she is still with him"....

I used 2 think that as well. Like abner got the girl and Indy lost out.

Berg

I think we would have heard a bit more about Karen Allen if they were indeed marrying in the end. It would be problematic to give Marion a brief cameo appearance and have her marry Indy. She would need to be a major player in this movie for that to happen. I guess she might still turn up, but as there has been no confirmation or even rumors of a big role, I doubt a marriage. She's my favorite Indy lady, though.

As for the chase breaking up a wedding, I could definitely see that happening.

Dr.Sartorius

Looks like filming in New Haven is over. Now its on to Hawaii on Friday. :D

‘Indy' producer a hands-on kind of guy
Ed Stannard, Register Metro Editor
07/04/2007

NEW HAVEN — While Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford are the household names, not much about "Indiana Jones" would happen without producer Frank Marshall.

He's brought to the big screen some of the biggest movies of the last 35 years, including the three "Back to the Future" films, "The Sixth Sense," the "Bourne" series ("The Bourne Ultimatum" comes out next month) and "Seabiscuit."

For the last week, he's been working on his fourth "Indiana Jones" movie, and as the crew wrapped up the New Haven segment Tuesday, Marshall said the city was a terrific host.

"It's been fantastic. We have a very tight schedule and we've been able to pull it off, and that's a great testament to the organization and help we've had.

"We're like a giant circus army that descends on a location," he said, recognizing that closing major downtown arteries and moving bus stops for days at a time has inconvenienced many.

"We like to try to make it as easy as we can, and everybody here has been … amenable to things we've had to do."

The producer's job is to secure financing, hire the crew and in myriad ways "help the director get their vision up on the screen." Marshall said that while he's enjoyed being in New Haven, most of his tasks have been concerned with looking ahead. After shooting a scene Thursday at the Essex Steam Train, the production will move to Hawaii.

But if something unexpected were to come up, such as a rainy day, Marshall has to come up with a plan. "That's why I like to be on the set," he said. "A lot of producers never leave the office."

Marshall's wife, Kathleen Kennedy, who is also a producer and whose professional relationship with director Steven Spielberg goes back to "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial" in 1982, is executive producer for "Indiana Jones 4" and has been in New Haven, too.

Marshall said the state's 30 percent business tax credit had a lot to do with locating the film's chase scene in New Haven, but there were other factors.

"Yale really fit into the requirements we had for the story … and Steven was very familiar with the area," Marshall said.

The juxtaposition of Chapel Street and Old Campus helped, too. "We can run cars here and look up and down the streets and it's period and that's fantastic," he said.

Marshall and Spielberg wanted to shoot the fourth "Indiana Jones" movie in the same style as the first three.

"Steven is very aware of the process and we're not cheating with CG (computer graphics) at all," Marshall said. "It keeps the B movie feel."

New Haven has other advantages locals may not realize, such as the Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale being a short walk from the set, which is not the norm.

Marshall said the privacy surrounding the set is "pretty typical." People shooting pictures may not realize that they're capturing a significant plot point. "It's more wanting not to spoil the fun of the movie and surprises in the movie or the look of a person," he said.

But he said he regretted the occasional rough handling of curious onlookers. "I would apologize to anybody who is treated rudely … because that's not how it should be done."

He said he enjoyed the city and was surprised by the variety of cuisines. "We've found there's a lot of great restaurants and (many) seem to be Spanish — a lot of paella, a lot of tapas."

But Marshall and crew didn't eat all their meals at bistros like Barcelona. He also got to try Pepe's pizza.

Link

Zorg

joelwatts said:

Yeah, that sounds very plausible. Somehow, even if Marion is involved, I don't believe she and Indy would be married.

Great news from Marshall though. If they're going to Hawaii now, would that mean they will shoot the studio scenes last?

Indy1986

how do they want bring abner ravenwood into the game.......the news said that Hurt will be abner ravenwood......i though he was dead!!! that's what marion said into raiders! don't tell me they are going to do a flashback that goes back in time before raiders