DVD sale prices

Montana Smith

indyclone25 said:
i hope you do buy them they are very good work, especially about the history that went into the storylines , then seeing the actual events on the documentaries , :D

I ordered them as soon as I saw the price - couldn't resist! At current exchange rates they're the equivalent of only $29 US per volume delivered. :)

fommes

I just got me Volume 3 - finally! All three boxes are now very cheap at The Hut and Zavvi (be sure to order only one at the time at these places, though, you don't want to get burnt by customs).

Amazon UK is a few pounds more but another very good option.

Montana Smith

fommes said:
I just got me Volume 3 - finally! All three boxes are now very cheap at The Hut and Zavvi (be sure to order only one at the time at these places, though, you don't want to get burnt by customs).

Amazon UK is a few pounds more but another very good option.

Won't customs still burn you for each one even on their own? The Royal Mail here also adds another £8 on top every time they have to collect customs fees - so that would be 3 x £8 plus three lots of customs fees.

fommes

No, in Belgium you can go to 22 euros if the product isn't coming from within the EU, and it was just below that!

Montana Smith

fommes said:
No, in Belgium you can go to 22 euros if the product isn't coming from within the EU, and it was just below that!

Things would be much easier/cheaper if we got a break like that in the UK. I think the limit is only around £8, and if you break that you get the customs fee and the Royal Mail £8 sting. The only good thing is that it stops you spending money too easily!

I've discovered that Woolworths.co.uk and Asda.co.uk are just like clones of Play.com. They're based in Guernsey (a tax haven) and their paperwork and labels are all very similar. Just as well the UK still has a deal with Guernsey and Jersey, as they're not classed as normal UK/EU for customs purposes.

IndyNovelsFan

Anyone have a cheap price for the Vol 2 Box? I have Vol 1, and just ordered Vol 3 with a Gift card... I need Vol 2, but am hoping to find it for under 50.00. I need this one to be a region 1 box. My player won't play PAL or other regions. Anyone help me out?

inky_skin

Montana Smith said:
I think the limit is only around £8, and if you break that you get the customs fee and the Royal Mail £8 sting.

Link

This is the Customs and Excise link for all you curious UK fans out there. Looks like (as a rough rule of thumb), you are likely to get caught with anything having an intrinsic value of £18 or more (it's unclear whether shipping fees are included). This limit is for "commercial items" arriving from outside of the EU - whereas "gifts" have a limit of £40 (check the customs form - they are marked differently). It gets a little more complex after that point. Now, you should only have to pay Import VAT on your item (it's not subject to excise as it's not tobacco, alcohol etc) - and this is charged at the regular VAT rate. However, if Royal Mail decides to pay that for you (you have little choice in the matter in reality) they enforce an additional charge for 'doing you a favour'. This is where the real sting is - Royal Mail state "Any package assessed by HM Revenue and Customs as being liable for Customs charges will also incur a Royal Mail handling fee of £8".

So, for example, an item with a value of £20 will potentially cost you:

£20 (item cost) + £3.50 (Import Tax @ 17.5%) + £8 (Royal Mail handling fee) = £31.50

Trust me, I've gone through this many times before ;) However, you could be lucky - Customs don't pull every package. Sometimes you forget that the EU and the rest of the world are actually engaged in a trade war...

indyclone25

IndyNovelsFan said:
Anyone have a cheap price for the Vol 2 Box? I have Vol 1, and just ordered Vol 3 with a Gift card... I need Vol 2, but am hoping to find it for under 50.00. I need this one to be a region 1 box. My player won't play PAL or other regions. Anyone help me out?
have you tried amazon? you might be able to get a used one for under fifty and the used ones are really in good condition ---in the past i have bought the used dvd of tv series and havent been diappointed at all.

grailguy said:
Hi folks,

. . . I've been thinking about getting these for awhile, too, and just pulled the trigger.

Just as a heads up, you might want to check http://www.barnesandnoble.com

Best price I've seen . . .;)

Daaaamn! Those prices are hot.

I spent about that on a used copy of Volume 2 a few months ago. Think I'll finally have to pounce on the other two volumes.

dameain

I picked up my copies at a local pawn store, roughly a year and a half ago, for $25 dollars each. It was just after Christmas, and a lot of people pawned essentially brand new DVD's. Heck the 2nd Volume was still in shrink wrap. When it comes to DVD and Blu-ray's I always scour used video stores of all types. Usually the sellers do not realize the value of the product. I was buying Blu-ray's their for $5 each a year ago.

tupogirl

Very good deal on the DVDs through Amazon.com...

Amazon deals

Volume one is $43.99, volume two is $51.99, and volume three is also $43.99.

:D I don't know how long it lasts.

tupogirl

Ooh coupon codes!

Also, if you are a parent, you can get Amazon Prime (I think it's 2 day shipping for free on certain items, normally a cost for the subscription) for 3 months for free and if you are a student, you can get it for free for a year.