what is it with vampires being romantic?

Indy Scout 117

ok so i've been wondering: why are vampires considered so romantic??? :confused: i mean all they do is bite your neck, suck your blood and turn into bats...thats about it. whats so romantic about that???? ever since twilight came out (eeewww twilight... XP) vampires are considered romantic... WHY??? anyone got any good arguments as to how in the world they can be romantic??? i just dont get it...:confused:

The Drifter

I believe that Anne Rice (I may be mistaken) started it and it slowly snow-balled from there. Tons of cheap, cheesy erotic vampire horror movies never helped throughout the years. And, the whole emo/gothic culture spurred it on even further.

Finn

Staff member
Tell you what. Walk up to a random person and ask if you can place your mouth on his or her neck. Get smacked. Repeat 'til you feel you've had enough.

Then try to achieve the same by acting all pleasant and making the person actually like you. Profit.

The bottom line is, vampires are technically nothing but a nasty bunch of bloodsuckers... but a matter-of-fact vampire is also a very hungry vampire.

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I believe that Anne Rice (I may be mistaken) started it and it slowly snow-balled from there. Tons of cheap, cheesy erotic vampire horror movies never helped throughout the years. And, the whole emo/gothic culture spurred it on even further.

There are always those who see homo erotic tones in the Bram Stoker novel...:rolleyes:

Meerkat

Lonsome_Drifter said:

Yeah...I've never read any of Anne Rice's books, but I can tell you this: Stephenie Meyer thinks sparklepires are romantic, not vampires. THERE'S A DIFFERENCE, PEOPLE.

Vampires have always been erotic. Well... not always, perhaps... Certainly not with the original Dracula novel or with the Jiang Shi. But at least since Lugosi inhabited the character. It became dark, brooding... erotic.

Of course, there's the fact that the act of sucking one's blood has so many sexual implications. It's essentially a BDSM concept. It's about submitting and dominating and there-in lies the eroticism.

And I'm in no way supporting Twilight or any tripe of that ilk. But I don't think erotic vampires are a bad thing. I think it provides certain depth and potential for metaphor that I found most appealing.

... and then there's always Vampyros Lesbos. :D

Indy Scout 117

when i was working at scout camp, i was talking to one of the scouts and he was tellin me about the twilight movie (ive never seen it, never plan to) and he was tellin me about this scene where the one dude tells the chick that he watches her in her sleep...wow. how is that in any way romantic?!?!? thats stalkerism, and theres a difference between stalkerism and romance. now i guess one could argue that if you're napping, and you're watching them, i suppose that could kinda be considered romantic, but like watching you while youre sleeping in bed?? NOOOO!! thats just wrong!!! y'know what i mean????

Agent Crab

This reminds me of Meekat's Anti Twilight thread, but this thread has more logic. WHich I am sick of hearing about Twilight fans vs ANti-Twilight. If you hate it. Good. Enough is enough.

I know people who think Castlevania vampires are sexy and they were way before Twilight.

DocWhiskey

Vampires are dark, mysterious, brood about the love of their life, and recently oh-so-dreamy creatures.

Some chicks dig that.

Especially the pre-teen ones.

The first time I started noticing it personally was when this 'lil show came on....

2nhfgy0.jpg

Which my friend got me into the spin-off of "Buffy" called "Angel". And it was actually quite awesome.

Morning Bell

I don't understand all the hype around it but to each their own. It's a trend that's wearing really thin if you ask me.

indy34

Are we all forgetting lesbian vampire killers?(y) ...athough I think resident may have been relating to it when he was talking about vampyros lesbos.

indy34 said:
Are we all forgetting lesbian vampire killers?(y) ...athough I think resident may have been relating to it when he was talking about vampyros lesbos.

Ugh. No.

Lesbian Vampire Killers is some silly looking, badly reviewed bit of Euro-Comedy that entices me none at all.

Vampyros Lesbos, on the other hand, is a classic 70s euro-trash sexploitation romp.

tambourineman

lol, Vampires were sexy loooooooong before Anne Rice or Twilight. Women were swooning over Bela Lugosi 70 years ago.

It started with Bram Stoker's Dracula. Prior to that book, vampires were nothing more than mythical midless ghouls. Stoker used vampires as an allegory for the repressed victorian sexuality. Dracula's night time attacks on women were a metaphor for sex. Dracula creeps into womens beds at night and liberates their sexuality, turning prim and proper virgins into shameless sluts (in a metaphoric sense). Dracula was considered an erotic and controversial book in its time, and its assosciation of vampires with sex has stayed with us until today.

Stoo said:
Great soundrack, though!;)

Though?! You say it as if that's the only thing worth noting in that film! ;)

Yeah, Vampyros Lesbos is a blast, Soledad Miranda was so sexy and died so tragically young, and the soundtrack is truly brilliant. Jess Franco's pretentiousness and frequent, erratic zooming really adds something to the proceedings... Something maddening to be sure! But I'm just a masochistic and I can't help but watch it... a lot... And I'll be damned if I don't enjoy it every time, maddening zooming or no.

Meerkat

DocWhiskey said:
Vampires are dark, mysterious, brood about the love of their life, and recently oh-so-dreamy creatures.

Some chicks dig that.

Especially the pre-teen ones.

We probably like them because they're hard to get. It offers us a challenge (...)

Hans

Agent Crab said:
This reminds me of Meekat's Anti Twilight thread, but this thread has more logic. WHich I am sick of hearing about Twilight fans vs ANti-Twilight. If you hate it. Good. Enough is enough.

I know people who think Castlevania vampires are sexy and they were way before Twilight.

Hey catle vania is a good series and if you think anime vampires are sexy you have a problem:dead:

avidfilmbuff

I remember hearing somewhere that Stoker may have used vampirism in his novel as a metaphor for venereal disease, although I could be wrong since I have never actually read the book, although this does seem to be the implication in the film adaptations.