Pirates!

Montana Smith

Paden said:
I'm right there with you. Pirates are cool, but ninjas are awesome! ;)

I was a fan of Eric van Lustbader's books... (before he lost his 'van').

Apart from Redbeard's mangey crew in Asterix, the next coolest pirates were the undead in Carpenter's The Fog.

Gear said:
Color me amused.

Colour me tickled pink!

Even a republican knows how to use the Queen's English, you piratical band of colonial misfits! :p

Stoo

Robert Newton from the 1950 version of "Treasure Island" probably holds 1st place as the best movie pirate. I think it's his portrayal which started the stereotypical 'pirate voice'. Keith Moon, the incredible & bombastic drummer for The Who, was a big R.Newton fan:

pirate.jpg

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Robert Newton from the 1950 version of "Treasure Island" probably holds 1st place as the best movie pirate.

Without a doubt. Did you ever see his portrayal of William Teach?

Though largely forgettable for trying to be all things to all people, Treasure Planet has a rather excellent version of Mr. Silver. Watch below for a sneak peak.

On a related note, fans of the genre should pick up a copy of The Sack of Panama.

The Adventures of Miles Cowperthwaite

78rcowperthwaite2.jpg
78rcowperthwaite1.jpg
78rcowperthwaite4.jpg

Captain Ned: [ walking up ] Mr. Spunk! Have you spied land?

First Mate Spunk: I'm not sure! Somebody else get up here and look! If I say it's land, and we make for it and it's not, I'll get yelled for it!

Captain Ned: Alright! [ peers through telescope ]

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "What Mr. Spunk had sighted was not land at all, but a small, open boat. Which, upon closer inspection, was found to contain two remarkable passengers."

[ two women climb onboard The Raging Queen ]

Captain Ned: I am Captain Ned, of The Raging Queen! Tell me.. are there any males with you?

Madeline Warrington: No. Just my sister and I.

Ruth Warrington: Yes. My name is Ruth Warrington. This is my sister Madeline. We were crossing the West Indies, when pirates seized our ship. They took our entire crew prisoners.

Captain Ned: [ thinking ] Hmm.. Uh.. can you tell me, were these pirates manly and verile?

Madeline Warrington: They were contemptible animals, who subjected our ship's crew to the most unspeakable torture!

First Mate Spunk: Do you suppose these pirates might still be anywhere in the area.

Ruth Warrington: Yes. I'm afraid they may yet be very close..

Captain Ned: I see. [ runs to address his crew ] Men! There are pirates in these waters! Pirates who inflict hideous punishment to those who fall into their hands! [ crew oohs ] Now, we can turn tail and run. Or, we can take the many course, that which our manhood demands! Find these despots of discipline, and comfort them! What is your answer!!

Crew: Find the pirates!!

Captain Ned: So it will be done! Stand by to incur the waters!

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "Despite six months spent in the endevour, our search for the pirates proved unsuccessful. And so at length we put into port at Key West, where we took on a supply of omelet pans and did the costumes for a production of 'Take Her, She's Mine'. These were pleasant times. With Captain Ned ashore buying melons, discipline was less severe, and his trips to my cabin to comfort me less frequent. One night, however, as I lay in bed writing a letter to Lord Pinckley, I heard an unfamilair knock at my door."

The Adventures of Miles Cowperthwaite

78rcowperthwaite2.jpg
78rcowperthwaite1.jpg
78rcowperthwaite4.jpg

Captain Ned: [ walking up ] Mr. Spunk! Have you spied land?

First Mate Spunk: I'm not sure! Somebody else get up here and look! If I say it's land, and we make for it and it's not, I'll get yelled for it!

Captain Ned: Alright! [ peers through telescope ]

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "What Mr. Spunk had sighted was not land at all, but a small, open boat. Which, upon closer inspection, was found to contain two remarkable passengers."

[ two women climb onboard The Raging Queen ]

Captain Ned: I am Captain Ned, of The Raging Queen! Tell me.. are there any males with you?

Madeline Warrington: No. Just my sister and I.

Ruth Warrington: Yes. My name is Ruth Warrington. This is my sister Madeline. We were crossing the West Indies, when pirates seized our ship. They took our entire crew prisoners.

Captain Ned: [ thinking ] Hmm.. Uh.. can you tell me, were these pirates manly and verile?

Madeline Warrington: They were contemptible animals, who subjected our ship's crew to the most unspeakable torture!

First Mate Spunk: Do you suppose these pirates might still be anywhere in the area.

Ruth Warrington: Yes. I'm afraid they may yet be very close..

Captain Ned: I see. [ runs to address his crew ] Men! There are pirates in these waters! Pirates who inflict hideous punishment to those who fall into their hands! [ crew oohs ] Now, we can turn tail and run. Or, we can take the many course, that which our manhood demands! Find these despots of discipline, and comfort them! What is your answer!!

Crew: Find the pirates!!

Captain Ned: So it will be done! Stand by to incur the waters!

Miles Cowperthwaite V/O: "Despite six months spent in the endevour, our search for the pirates proved unsuccessful. And so at length we put into port at Key West, where we took on a supply of omelet pans and did the costumes for a production of 'Take Her, She's Mine'. These were pleasant times. With Captain Ned ashore buying melons, discipline was less severe, and his trips to my cabin to comfort me less frequent. One night, however, as I lay in bed writing a letter to Lord Pinckley, I heard an unfamilair knock at my door."

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
Without a doubt. Did you ever see his portrayal of William Teach?
SAB! An UNBELIEVABLE, eerie coincidence...:eek:The very SAME day you wrote the above, I watched "Blackbeard the Pirate" on a homeward-bound, overseas flight! Found it in the Classics option! Good pirate flick and an unquestionable tour-de-force for Newton (but isn't it Edward Teach not William?) I really enjoyed it and have been wanting to see it for many years so thank you Air Canada!:hat: How freaky...

Re: Robert Newton as Long John Silver. There were 2 different sequels to "Treasure Island" (both in 1954) and one of them turned into a TV show which, unfortunately, came to a halt after R.Newton passed away.:( Marking the end (or beginning) of his legacy...depending on how you look at it.
Le Saboteur said:
Though largely forgettable for trying to be all things to all people, Treasure Planet has a rather excellent version of Mr. Silver. Watch below for a sneak peak.
The Mr. Silver interpretation is decent but what interests me is the voice of the "Onus" character, Corey Burton, who sounds exactly like the late & great Paul Frees! The list of Paul Frees' voice work is an extremely long one but he did most of the voices for the animatronics in the "Pirates of the Carribean" ride. I was told that some of Frees' lines are in one of the movies.

@deMille: For the 4th time, which Sandokan books & movies do you have? Is your avoidance of the question somehow linked to yet another personal trauma which prevents you from talking about them?

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
@deMille: For the 4th time, which Sandokan books & movies do you have? Is your avoidance of the question somehow linked to yet another personal trauma which prevents you from talking about them?

Forget Blackbeard, methinks ye been black balled, me old ship mate. Ye be hankering after an answer like Ben Gunn after a bit o' cheese!

Stoo

Matt deMille is a Liar!

Montana Smith said:
Forget Blackbeard, methinks ye been black balled, me old ship mate. Ye be hankering after an answer like Ben Gunn after a bit o' cheese!
He be holdin' a grudge then? Off the plank with 'im!:whip:
(Heh heh, I love cheese almost as much as Ben Gunn does!)

If you think I've been black-balled by d'uh Mille then, please, YOU ask him the Sandokan question (because deMille likes you). As things stand, deMille clearly knows NOTHING about Sandokan. He's a liar...
Matt deMille said:
I'm still just amazed that any one (Ladybird) escaped me. Well, something new every day, I guess.
You're amazed that a late '70s children's book from the U.K. escaped you? Boy, you really like pretending to be an expert on anything you talk about.:rolleyes:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
He be holdin' a grudge then? Off the plank with 'im!:whip:
(Heh heh, I love cheese almost as much as Ben Gunn does!)

If you think I've been black-balled by d'uh Mille then, please, YOU ask him the Sandokan question (because deMille likes you).

Not sure that'll work now cap'n.

Stoo said:
As things stand, deMille clearly knows NOTHING about Sandokan. He's a liar...

Shiver me timbers. You be very 'ard on 'em confused landlubbers!

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
SAB! An UNBELIEVABLE, eerie coincidence...:eek:The very SAME day you wrote the above, I watched "Blackbeard the Pirate" on a homeward-bound, overseas flight! Found it in the Classics option! Good pirate flick and an unquestionable tour-de-force for Newton.

STOO! Yes, talk about exceptionally eerie! It only gets more eerie, though: after posting that, I watched it THAT evening! It's horribly inaccurate, but it's fun watching Robert Newton chew the scenery. Hopefully we'll get a serious remake one of these days.

Stoo said:
(but isn't it Edward Teach not William?)

You're absolutely right, of course. And aside from possibly conflating Blackbeard and his Quartermaster's name -- William Howard -- I have no idea how that happened. Such is the peril of doing multiple things at once!

Stoo said:
Re: Robert Newton as Long John Silver. There were 2 different sequels to "Treasure Island" (both in 1954) and one of them turned into a TV show which, unfortunately, came to a halt after R.Newton passed away.:( Marking the end (or beginning) of his legacy...depending on how you look at it.

I'm familiar with them in passing, but never had the chance to see them. Maybe one of these days! If you're a fan of Stevenson's original novel, Return to Treasure Island is coming out this year and shows potential.

Stoo said:
The Mr. Silver interpretation is decent but what interests me is the voice of the "Onus" character, Corey Burton, who sounds exactly like the late & great Paul Frees!

Good ear, Stoo! Until you mentioned it, I had never put the two together! Did you know that Disney had Mr. Burton elongate Frees' narration of the Ghost Host in the Haunted Mansion because they sound so similar? He also re-did a lot of new voices on Pirates of the Caribbean when Disney did its last refurbishment in 2006(?).

I'll have to listen to the narration next time I visit Disneyland to see if I can pick out where they added in Burton's lines to the Haunted Mansion. Though, I still think I'm partial to Vincent Price's work on the Phantom Manor in Paris.

Stoo said:
The list of Paul Frees' voice work is an extremely long one but he did most of the voices for the animatronics in the "Pirates of the Carribean" ride. I was told that some of Frees' lines are in one of the movies.

Now there's a project for somebody to undertake!

Matt deMille

Stoo said:
If you think I've been black-balled by d'uh Mille then . . .
. . . deMille clearly knows NOTHING about Sandokan. He's a liar...
You're amazed that a late '70s children's book from the U.K. escaped you? Boy, you really like pretending to be an expert on anything you talk about.:rolleyes:

And you wonder why I don't bother answering your questions? Why would I need to "lie" about being UNaware of a children's book? Or why would I need to lie about having read any other book? You seem to throw the accusation of "liar" around way too quickly (along with cheap insults). If you're unwilling to accept that someone could possibly have read a published book and simply decline talking about it to someone else who repeatedly insults them, it shows what an angry, narrow-minded individual you really are.

Matt deMille said:
And you wonder why I don't bother answering your questions? Why would I need to "lie" about being UNaware of a children's book? Or why would I need to lie about having read any other book? You seem to throw the accusation of "liar" around way too quickly (along with cheap insults). If you're unwilling to accept that someone could possibly have read a published book and simply decline talking about it to someone else who repeatedly insults them, it shows what an angry, narrow-minded individual you really are.
I wonder sometimes monsieur, what it is you find appealing about Indiana Jones. If he were ANYTHING like you he would have been offended about the label obtainer of rare antiquities and nagged the government agents about not going to sunday school! Get a hold of yourself...be a man, roll with the punches! You're WAY too sensitive! Now you can go, mom's calling. She cut the crust off your grilled cheese!:p

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I wonder sometimes monsieur, what it is you find appealing about Indiana Jones. If he were ANYTHING like you he would have been offended about the label obtainer of rare antiquities and nagged the government agents about not going to sunday school! Get a hold of yourself...be a man, roll with the punches! You're WAY too sensitive! Now you can go, mom's calling. She cut the crust off your grilled cheese!:p

I'll have the crusts on mine, and Ben Gunn will have it anyway it comes.

Matt deMille

Rocket Surgeon said:
I wonder sometimes monsieur, what it is you find appealing about Indiana Jones.

Actually, I wonder about you (and some others here on this site), about why YOU guys like Indiana Jones at all. After all, Indy is about alternate history, pseudo-archeology, adventure, etc. It's about magic, faith, aliens, possibilities! But you guys don't seem to like any of these things at all. You're all so buried in your academia, if you guys had your way, Indy would have never left the classroom.

Montana Smith

Matt deMille said:
Actually, I wonder about you (and some others here on this site), about why YOU guys like Indiana Jones at all. After all, Indy is about alternate history, pseudo-archeology, adventure, etc. It's about magic, faith, aliens, possibilities! But you guys don't seem to like any of these things at all. You're all so buried in your academia, if you guys had your way, Indy would have never left the classroom.

Some of us have the ability to separate fact from blatant fiction. Indy is escapism, with a few nods to the history of the real world - just like Pirates of the Caribbean.

Is it not possible to watch Poltergeist and not believe in ghosts?

Or War of the Worlds and not believe aliens have visited?

Or Constantine and not believe in the Devil?

Or Pirates of the Caribbean and not believe in zombies?

Whether we enjoy these fictional ideas or not, we don't necessarily have to materialize our enjoyment into reality.

Stoo

Matt deMille said:
There you go again, dancing around the issue instead of answering directly and replying with rhetorical questions. If you stopped playing The Avoiding Game and actually addressed the queries, I wouldn't get cheeky with your name. See how that works? (You can't even name which pyramid you supposedly went into which is a simple, ONE-WORD ANSWER!)

For the all the previous talk you made in another thread about holding grudges, you sure are holding one now. Each time I asked you about Sandokan, it was just a short, straight-forward question with no insults. Practically a whole page worth of conversation from other members about the character contains ZERO input from yourself. You started a thread to discuss pirates but when it comes to Sandokan you have nothing to contribute?

For the 5th time, which Sandokan books & movies do you have in your 'extensive collection'?

Matt deMille

Montana Smith said:
Some of us have the ability to separate fact from blatant fiction. Indy is escapism, with a few nods to the history of the real world - just like Pirates of the Caribbean.

Is it not possible to watch Poltergeist and not believe in ghosts?

Or War of the Worlds and not believe aliens have visited?

Or Constantine and not believe in the Devil?

Or Pirates of the Caribbean and not believe in zombies?

Whether we enjoy these fictional ideas or not, we don't necessarily have to materialize our enjoyment into reality.

Oh, I don't doubt that. And I'm sure most folks here make that simple, reasonable distinction. It should go without saying.

What I meant is that the Clique (as I'll call them, consisting of Stoo, RA, etc.) seem to HATE even the slightest suggestion of anything outside conventional history. I've often wondered how they can even tolerate the Indy movies having been made, much less watch them and like them. Or, maybe they don't. They seem to do little on this board but attack me. Maybe Indy is just an excuse for them to stir things up. I don't know. I don't think like that sort of troubled mind. Anyway, given the way they've treated not only myself and anyone who even supports the possibilities of things outside the mainstream, I'm surprised they haven't stormed Skywalker Ranch and demanded the head of Lucas on a plate for the Ark's location or the misuse of Petra.

I mean, seriously, isn't it rather comical that I come to discuss paranormal possibilities and aliens on an Indy site, only to find there are posters here who just can't stop their hatred of alien possibilities despite aliens now being part of Indy canon? One would think lovers of Indy would be open to possibilities, or at the least, not mind if others discuss it. But they sure carry a hatred of religious proportions for me, and, yet, what have I done to them? Just threw out possibilities that they didn't like (oh, and called them on their bad behavior).

And, Stoo: I ignore you for the most part. That's my choice. Given all the wrongs you've done me, and the certainty that anything I say is going to be twisted, ignored, or met with insult by you, I usually just don't waste my time acknowledging your demands of me. I don't owe you a damn thing and, frankly, I think it's kind of funny to let you expose yourself for the biased, grudge-chewing troll that you seem to be, based on your recurring actions. As I said, what's so hard to believe that I read a book everyone else did? Or went to a pyramid like a million other people? That doesn't require any faith or fantastic facts. That you continue to question those bits about me or demand answers just shows your fixation on me, thus casting a big shadow over anything else you say in regards to other threads and my other posts. If you really want to be rid of me, or "win", or whatever it is that you want (I wouldn't know, I'm sane), then I suggest you do the same as I do to you: Ignore me. If you don't like what I post, ignore it. Don't write a response to it. Just leave it be.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Matt deMille said:
Oh, I don't doubt that. And I'm sure most folks here make that simple, reasonable distinction. It should go without saying.

What I meant is that the Clique (as I'll call them, consisting of Stoo, RA, etc.) seem to HATE even the slightest suggestion of anything outside conventional history. I've often wondered how they can even tolerate the Indy movies having been made, much less watch them and like them. Or, maybe they don't. They seem to do little on this board but attack me. Maybe Indy is just an excuse for them to stir things up. I don't know. I don't think like that sort of troubled mind. Anyway, given the way they've treated not only myself and anyone who even supports the possibilities of things outside the mainstream, I'm surprised they haven't stormed Skywalker Ranch and demanded the head of Lucas on a plate for the Ark's location or the misuse of Petra.

I mean, seriously, isn't it rather comical that I come to discuss paranormal possibilities and aliens on an Indy site, only to find there are posters here who just can't stop their hatred of alien possibilities despite aliens now being part of Indy canon? One would think lovers of Indy would be open to possibilities, or at the least, not mind if others discuss it. But they sure carry a hatred of religious proportions for me, and, yet, what have I done to them? Just threw out possibilities that they didn't like (oh, and called them on their bad behavior).

I'll respond to this in the 'Ancient Aliens' thread.