The Indy Games in Journal Form

Howlrunner

So as well as doing diary entries for all of the novels (see other thread), I'm also going to (eventually) cover every computer game as journal entries.

My first game (the first in the timeline) is The Emperor's Tomb, so here's the beginning of it. I'll add more as I get it done....

Working on "Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb", I have completed the journal entries for the first 3 levels of the game. The next journal will pick off straight from where this one finishes - so the new journal will actually see the exploits in Hong Kong. At the moment Ceylon, Prague and Istanbul and covered.

So here we go:

Diary91.jpg

This is an old 1555 map of Ceylon (then known as Sumatra - now known as Sri Lanka) and is the same one that Indy is looking at at the start of the game.

MunsterTaprobana.jpg

Ceylonmap.jpg

Diary92.jpg

Diary93.jpg

The Silent Guardians were a pain to draw - they're hardly shown (especially open) in any of the online walkthroughs. The Heart of Kouru Watu is a cool looking idol - would be great to have a replica of in the collection.

Diary94.jpg

The newspaper cuttings were taken from the Emperor's Tomb user manual.
Clipping1.jpg
Clipping2.jpg

Diary95.jpg

The Astrological Clock in Prague drawing is a photoshopped screen-cap:

Astrologicalclock.jpg

Diary96.jpg

Diary97.jpg

The homunculus info is taken from Wikipedia with an old wood cutting from Faust:

Homunculus.jpg

Diary98.jpg

The Dragon Shard - 2nd piece of the Mirror of Dreams

Diary99.jpg

Diary100.jpg

The Phoenix Shard - the 3rd piece of the Mirror of Dreams. Though not actually named, I worked out from the screencaps that the other animal was a kind of bird. In China the Phoenix is paired with the Dragon a lot, so I figured out that's what it's supposed to be.

FenghuangandDragonShards.jpg

Looks like I forgot to photograph a page - with the Heart of Kouru Watu - the 1st piece of the Mirror of Dreams - on it. Will get that done soon and uploaded...

Caidanbi

So cool! As I said in the other thread about your journal based on the novels, I'd love to have an ebook version of this ;)

Lambonius

Wow. I love this. The sketches and clippings are awesome and really capture the look of the Grail Diary.

The only thing that feels a bit off to me is some of the language in the journal entries. I just can't imagine Harrison Ford's Indy ever saying things like "I was able to defeat the giant squid" or "infiltrate Kai's fortress" etc. Some of the commentary seems spot on, but a lot of it sounds too literary and formalized--like a paragraph out of a novel. I'd expect it to be less formal, more shorthand, and perhaps even a bit more sarcastic in tone.

Howlrunner

Lambonius said:
The only thing that feels a bit off to me is some of the language in the journal entries. I just can't imagine Harrison Ford's Indy ever saying things like "I was able to defeat the giant squid" or "infiltrate Kai's fortress" etc. Some of the commentary seems spot on, but a lot of it sounds too literary and formalized--like a paragraph out of a novel. I'd expect it to be less formal, more shorthand, and perhaps even a bit more sarcastic in tone.

Yeah, I'll agree with you there, some it it does seem a bit "novel " like. I was trying to go for something like the Indy diaries that have been made before, but with a far more coherent story line throughout, so if you picked up the journal, having never played any of the games, you would be able to follow the story of what's happening (most - all? - of the Indy journals I've seen previously are quite fragmented).

Perhaps these entries were written up by Indy when he's had more time and he's in Professor mode, rather than the more shorthand Adventurer mode entries written "in the field". ;)