Details on new Indiana Jones books

Katarn07

ResidentAlien said:
And another post by... some dude who's posted so little I don't even know who he is... and yet he dislikes me. :rolleyes:

If you read the topics in the collecting board, you'll know who he is. His posts actually contribute something to the topics. Maybe that's why he has so few in comparison to you? Seriously, dude, you don't have to post in every topic you see. You gotta think before you write something. Ask yourself if you're contributing something to the topic at hand, or if you're just setting yourself up to be attacked by other members of this place. I think you and a certain other Raven member get too big of a kick out of arguing with people you've never met online. Pathetic :rolleyes:

On a completely unrelated note, I find it amusing on the constant use of the rolleyes emoticon.

Katarn07 said:
If you read the topics in the collecting board, you'll know who he is. His posts actually contribute something to the topics. Maybe that's why he has so few in comparison to you? Seriously, dude, you don't have to post in every topic you see. You gotta think before you write something. Ask yourself if you're contributing something to the topic at hand, or if you're just setting yourself up to be attacked by other members of this place. I think you and a certain other Raven member get too big of a kick out of arguing with people you've never met online. Pathetic :rolleyes:

On a completely unrelated note, I find it amusing on the constant use of the rolleyes emoticon.

Ah yes because I don't contribute. Thanks. Glad to know you think so highly of me. The feeling is of course mutual. :)

tnswman

ResidentAlien said:
:rolleyes:

...another topic about new Indiana Jones books. Wow. This is not at all redundant.

What do you care? All of your stupid posts are redundant...I know, now you will attepmt to smart back at me. However, you fail to understand that I can not think any less of you than I already do.

Waste your energy so you can post another Ignorant reply somewhere else.

tnswman said:
What do you care? All of your stupid posts are redundant...I know, now you will attepmt to smart back at me. However, you fail to understand that I can not think any less of you than I already do.

Waste your energy so you can post another Ignorant reply somewhere else.

If you think so less of me, then wasting your "energy" to tell me that was pretty much without merit, eh?

If you hate me so damned much, click that little ignore button. Otherwise, **** off.

Adolf Hitler

I shall definately be picking up the Complete Making of Indiana Jones. Although, it had better be of the same quality as those detailed Star Wars or Star Trek "making of" books and not some flimsy 20 page load of rubbish.

Katarn07

Why don't you guys just all ignore him? The only reason I spoke up was his crack at mfisher, who is one of the more active members of the collecting board. ResidentAlien has 10 less posts than me, and I've been a member here for 4 years! He just joined this year. Post count counts for nothing. It's the quality, not the quantity. If everyone just ignores him (which of course they won't), maybe he'll stop posting dumb comments.

And I'm gonna be the bigger man and walk away from this topic. I don't care what ResidentAlien has to say in his defense. If he were smart, he'd walk away too. But he's probably gotta get the last word in edgewise.

Yvonne

I'm looking forward to The Complete Making of Indiana Jones, The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones The Ultimate Guide and, of course, the novelization of KOTCS.

Thanks for the link, Citizen_Kane!

Adolf Hitler

Yvonne said:
and, of course, the novelization of KOTCS.

See, now I've never quite understood why people get excited about movie novelisations, as within a year the pictire itself comes out on DVD and the novel is shelved for good. Not a good financial investment IMO.

walker

sometimes they're quite good

I agree that novelizations seem redundant. But on some occassions I think they're actually better than the film. I remember they released the novelization of Last Crusade a few weeks prior to the film. They usually do as it's a form of publicity. Stupidly, I read it right away. Just couldn't help myself. I was actually disappointed in the film because of it. I've since learned to love the movie on it's own merits, but at the time, I can remember being quite underwhelmed.

There's another good example out there that is not Indy-specific, but another case where the book was much better than the movie. Remember The Golden Child with Eddie Murphy? Awful film, but an excellent book. Much more serious and exciting than the movie. Another example: remember Jewel of the Nile, the awful sequel to Romancing the Stone. It was a very exciting book.

Also, novelizations will often include original bits from the script that get cut or changed in the editing room. For example, the second grail test where Indy drops through the floor? Originally a large spider jumped up through the hole. There are even publicity stills that show that the scene was filmed for the movie, but at some point they changed it. It remains in the book though. As for The Golden Child, the author probably wrote the novelization based on the original script, which probably changed during filming as it quickly became an "eddie murphy movie." That's speculation of course, but I think it makes sense as the tones are so radically different.

All that said, I'm pretty selective re: which novelizations I bother with as most are not written by top flight authors. I think that's why I'm so pleased with their selection of James Rollins to do the new adaptation. He's quite good, so my hopes are high.

walker

Katarn07 said:
Why don't you guys just all ignore him? The only reason I spoke up was his crack at mfisher, who is one of the more active members of the collecting board. ResidentAlien has 10 less posts than me, and I've been a member here for 4 years! He just joined this year. Post count counts for nothing. It's the quality, not the quantity. If everyone just ignores him (which of course they won't), maybe he'll stop posting dumb comments.

And I'm gonna be the bigger man and walk away from this topic. I don't care what ResidentAlien has to say in his defense. If he were smart, he'd walk away too. But he's probably gotta get the last word in edgewise.

Quality not quantity goes both ways. Just because you're a vacuum for ideas or insight doesn't mean we all are.

And this topic would fit nicely within 5 or 6 others created within the last few weeks. Quality, not quantity, eh?

Yvonne said:
I'm looking forward to The Complete Making of Indiana Jones, The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones The Ultimate Guide and, of course, the novelization of KOTCS.

Thanks for the link, Citizen_Kane!

You're welcome!

Yvonne

I don't read very many movie novelizations. The last one I read was Jurassic Park III (which was just a junior novelization), so it's been a while. But I've read all of the Indy books, so I'm looking forward to this one as well.

I especially like reading things that didn't make it into the movie (like walker mentioned). The only thing I'm not sure about right now is if I'll read the book before the movie. How many people are planning on reading the book before seeing the movie? Just curious.

|ZiR|

walker said:
Also, novelizations will often include original bits from the script that get cut or changed in the editing room.

This. That's why I always try to check out the novelizations of my favorite films.

However, you see, I'm kind of a book snob, so I don't actually own that many. Usually I'll oh so covertly check them out from the library, wearing the trenchcoat, false mostache and large sunglasses I reserve for that sole purpose. I've come across a few in thrift stores, though, which I couldn't resist buying. Like, the other week I found the novelizations of Ladyhawke and Return To Oz. (Score!) They're kept hidden in a box beneath my bed with the rest of "trashy" books.

Now, there are so many IJ books up and coming in the near future, it's hard to choose but if I have to pick, the ones I'm anticipating the most are the KOTCS novel, and the collection of all three IJ movie novelizations. I never got to read any of those and it's awesome that they're being reprinted all in one book. (y)

Yvonne said:
The only thing I'm not sure about right now is if I'll read the book before the movie. How many people are planning on reading the book before seeing the movie? Just curious.

Not I! In fact, I won't be purchasing the book until AFTER I've seen the movie. I don't trust myself.