The Indiana Jones Timeline / Chronology

lightsyder

DIrishB said:
Awesome! Thanks, I very much appreciate that.

And here is his response...

The top 3 are "Making of Indiana Jones", "Indiana Jones Ultimate Guide" and a focus on Indiana Jones cinema magazine.

The four on the bottom left are adaptations of the 4 Indiana Jones films and by the looks of it, so are the batch of 4 on the right.

As for the 4 Young Indiana Jones books in the middle, the pic is too small for me to really make out the characters on that top book. I tried saving the pic and zooming in with GIMP, but the characters got too pixelated.

Maybe the owner can get some better scans of the three books in question?

DIrishB

lightsyder said:
And here is his response...

Maybe the owner can get some better scans of the three books in question?

I doubt it. I tried PM'ing the owner (through the thread I posted the link to) asking him if he'd be willing to post more pics and never got any responses.

Very much appreciate the attempt, and thank your friend for his help!

Plaristes

Another tiny piece of timeline info to throw into the mix. Indiana Jones and His Life of Adventure, by Lionel Grigson and Philip Chidlow, contains journal entries by Indy describing some events from the first three films. The entry for the Chachapoyan Temple incident is dated 1935, while the rest of the film is dated 1936.
Just thought I'd point that out. Now we can all return to our Raiders timeline confusion. :confused:

Crack that whip

I think that's simply wrong; the opening specifically tells us it's "South America, 1936," indicating it's 1936 during this sequence in South America (Peru, to be more specific). If anything, most or all of the rest of the movie could take place in 1937, but the opening is definitely 1936.

That source could be right in placing the opening and the rest of the movie in separate years, though; it's just that it has its dates shifted one year too early if they are.

DIrishB

Plaristes said:
Another tiny piece of timeline info to throw into the mix. Indiana Jones and His Life of Adventure, by Lionel Grigson and Philip Chidlow, contains journal entries by Indy describing some events from the first three films. The entry for the Chachapoyan Temple incident is dated 1935, while the rest of the film is dated 1936.
Just thought I'd point that out. Now we can all return to our Raiders timeline confusion. :confused:

Crack that whip said:
I think that's simply wrong; the opening specifically tells us it's "South America, 1936," indicating it's 1936 during this sequence in South America (Peru, to be more specific). If anything, most or all of the rest of the movie could take place in 1937, but the opening is definitely 1936.

That source could be right in placing the opening and the rest of the movie in separate years, though; it's just that it has its dates shifted one year too early if they are.

Have to agree. I'm inclined to think the entirety of Raiders occurred over a few months in 1936.

I swear, concerning the movies specific placements, its like there's an intentional dis-information program going on, like the government covering up UFOs or something (I don't believe in them, just to be clear ;) ). Between the different dates in the Lost Journal, Ultimate Guide, and now this book (as well as date indicators within the movies themselves), there's no way to accurately pin them down based on any one source.

DIrishB

vf wing said:
You've made a fantastic attempt nonetheless! Well done, D. :gun:

Thanks VF!

Expect some updates in the next few months, as Staff of Kings, Pyramid of the Sorcerer & Monsters of Mount Sinai, Army of the Dead, Adventures Vol. 2, etc are released.

Stoo

Plaristes said:
Like Crack and DIrish have said, the 1935 date is not right but this book you mention sounds interesting! I've never even heard of it before. Maybe it deserves its own thread?;)

Junior Jones

DIrishB said:
Expect some updates in the next few months, as Staff of Kings, Pyramid of the Sorcerer & Monsters of Mount Sinai, Army of the Dead, Adventures Vol. 2, etc are released.

Any idea where Temple of Yearning fits? I'm stumped.

Stoo

From page 6:
DIrishB said:
So I've been re-reading my Indy Omnibus', and I just finished Thunder in the Orient. I did a little research on the ancient port city of Ras Shamra (referred to as Bas Shamra on the first page of the comic), and found out it was discovered by a farmer in March, 1928, and then excavations were immediately undertaken and overseen by Ernest Schaeffler. Indy says this occurred 8 years ago when talking about Ras/Bas Shamra on the first page of Thunder in the Orient: "...ever since Schaeffer first dug up these tombs eight years ago." Schaeffler's name is also mis-spelled (missing the "L"). Anyway, this would place Thunder in the Orient in 1936, not 1938 as its listed on various Indy timelines across the web, including the Indy wikia. I'll change that on the next update I do. For more info on Ras Shamrah, click here.

So, yeah, Thunder in the Orient should occur in 1936, not 1938.
I was just thinking about this again and if you read the DH comics chronologically, it doesn't make sense to have "Thunder" before "Fate of Atlantis." Obviously, the math indicates '36 but maybe that was Indy's foggy memory since the dialogue between himself and Sophia clearly show that it takes place after "Fate", May-June 1939. So whoever it was that originally pegged it as '38 didn't get it quite right. This seems to be a case of internal story continuity taking precedence over real-world dates. 1939 or later for "Thunder", I would say.

Plus, if "Staff of Kings" is also supposed to be 1939, it looks like that year is also piling up to be another busy one for Dr. Jones!:eek:

Junior Jones said:
Any idea where Temple of Yearning fits? I'm stumped.
Haven't read it yet but good question. I know it's only a short story but there aren't any clues?:confused:

Jono11

DIrishB said:
Mainly because they were not only unaired, but unfilmed or unreleased in any format despite plans for them. I wish some novels or comics to adapt them were released (since the episodes themselves weren't going to be filmed), but until some official release occurs, there's no point in placing it. As far as the timeline is concerned, it never happened. This is the same reason the cancelled Indy comics aren't included (I forget the name, but it was planned to include Abner Ravenwood and cover art for it showed the artist was basing the look of Abner on Wilford Brimley).
DIrishB said:
The reason I don't include unreleased material is that it can lead to including adventures that weren't released for a reason (ie, Abner Ravenwood material in the comics), or material which features continuity discrepancies between the tales.
But it's important to realize that not all of the cancelled stories were cancelled because of any "reason" other than poor sales.Those Young Indy episodes weren't made because the show got canned. Those Young Indy books weren't made because the franchise lost its steam.

One way to include them in the timeline would be to clearly denote them as "possibly apocryphal," or just as "unreleased and therefore not necessarily canon."

If you ever do change your mind and start including unreleased tales, be sure to include the Napkin Affair! That one was so close to released, the whole thing's on the internet.

DIrishB

Jono11 said:
But it's important to realize that not all of the cancelled stories were cancelled because of any "reason" other than poor sales.Those Young Indy episodes weren't made because the show got canned. Those Young Indy books weren't made because the franchise lost its steam.

One way to include them in the timeline would be to clearly denote them as "possibly apocryphal," or just as "unreleased and therefore not necessarily canon."

You make a good point, but part of the point behind mine was to make the existing and available stories into a simple chronology. Since the unreleased episodes aren't available to the Indy fans or general public, I see it as pointless to include them in a timeline since, from the audience's viewpoint, they never happened.

If you ever do change your mind and start including unreleased tales, be sure to include the Napkin Affair! That one was so close to released, the whole thing's on the internet.

Whats the Napkin Affair? Any links?

DIrishB

Stoo said:
Just did a search and found it. It's in a fan fiction section and was apparently written for issue #2 of the "ill-fated Indiana Jones Fan Club Newsletter" so it doesn't fit the criteria. Here's a direct link to the short story: http://www.indyfan.com/fanfic/napkin.html

Cool, thanks Stoo!

And I know I've been promising an update to the timeline for awhile (and have been slacking), but I promise--to those interested anyway--that I'll post an updated version once Staff of Kings is released (since thats the last upcoming Indy release until Army of Dead in September).

Stoo

DIrishB said:
Indiana Jones Jr et le Météorite Sacrée (March, 1913)
Young Indiana Jones and the Plantation Treasure (April, 1913)
Young Indiana Jones and the Tomb of Terror (June, 1913)
Young Indiana Jones and the Princess of Peril (June, 1913)
Young Indiana Jones and the Mountains of Superstition (July, 1913)
Thanks to BrodyIsDead for scanning the remainder of his Young Telegraph comic strips. We now know that "Mountains of Superstition" takes place before "Plantation Treasure" so you'll have to cram it in there.

It was a good idea to hold off until the bulk of new stories were out. Looking forward to the updated version, DB!(y)

I have been gone awhile and haven't read through this entire thread but why the heck isn't Kingdom of the Crystal Skull on the timeline yet? I mean it has been a year since the movie came out!

lightsyder

chicago103 said:
I have been gone awhile and haven't read through this entire thread but why the heck isn't Kingdom of the Crystal Skull on the timeline yet? I mean it has been a year since the movie came out!

It's the very last item in the timeline...

Crack that whip

DIrishB said:
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - "Prologue" (July, 1935)
Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates and Other Tales RPG - "The Adventure of the Second Horn" (September, 1935)
Indiana Jones - Magic & Mysticism: The Dark Continent RPG - "The Wrath of the Yantai" (September, 1935)
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (November - December, 1935)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom RPG - "The Search for Nurhachi" (December, 1935)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (December, 1935)

Looking at this timeline again, I noticed the first and last items listed above, and momentarily wondered whether you were putting everything at the Club Obi Wan and the rest of Shanghai, etc. six months ahead of most of the movie (via a really long stopover in Mayapore, perhaps?), but then realized you must mean the office prologue in the new young adult novelization (with the letter concerning the Peacock's Eye, etc.) (and looking back, I see Plaristes specifically suggested adding that, back on the first page of the thread). :eek: I really need to pay more attention to your source key (what's underlined, what's bolded, what's green, etc.).

DIrishB said:
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (September - October, 1957)

Is this meant to include the wedding? I was under the impression Indy and Marion tie the knot the following spring, around March or April or May of '58. I know there's a questionable invitation shown in one of the recent books - the Ultimate Guide, I think - that I don't have yet, but since we're not putting too much trust in those, well...

Anyway, the wedding certainly looks like spring to me, from what we can see through the church doors, and the novelization also mentions the dogwoods flowering.

Stoo

lightsyder said:
It's the very last item in the timeline...
No love for the Old Indy bookends, lightsyder?:p
Crack that whip said:
Is this meant to include the wedding? I was under the impression Indy and Marion tie the knot the following spring, around March or April or May of '58. I know there's a questionable invitation shown in one of the recent books - the Ultimate Guide, I think - that I don't have yet, but since we're not putting too much trust in those, well...

Anyway, the wedding certainly looks like spring to me, from what we can see through the church doors, and the novelization also mentions the dogwoods flowering.
Yes, the wedding must be during spring '58. This was "sort of" established in another thread (can't remember which, but "The Complete Making of.." book alludes to a spring wedding.) The date of the invitation, Oct 18th, is way off (it actually occurs while Indy & Mutt leave for Peru) and comes from the book, "The Greatest Adventures of Indiana Jones". As seen on this page (posted by yours truly).:D

Anyway, there's recently been an unfortunate turn-of-events that has hindered DIrish's further input to his timeline.:( Hopefully, he'll chime in soon...)