What Fedora Do You Own?

Which Fedora Do You Own

• Total voters

jsarino

^^^Thanks for the explanation! I gave my Dorfman to my son, but have taken it back from time to time when I want to wear a fedora when the weather is lousy, or when I wore it as part of my costume for an obstacle course-type race in the mines (I've posted that one earlier this year). As sturdy as the Fed IV Deluxe appears, I can't bear to get caught with it in rain or snow...for now anyways. :)

Glenville86

I really like the Akubra Feds. Super easy to bash. Think it only took about 5-minutes to get the shape I wanted.

Bought an Amish hat on EBay cheap and in excellent condition. Going to put a bash in it when it arrives soon. Think I paid 18 bucks for it. Crown height is good to take a bash. Also have taken a Stetson cowboy hat with a tear-drop crown I got pre-owned and cut the brim down to 2 1/2 inches and shaped it into a fedora or aussie looking style.

Teneas

1984 Stetson Temple. My normal camping/hiking hat.
Dorfman. Someone gave me this not knowing about fedoras. Nice gesture.
1984 Stetson Wool Felt hat. Gave this to my son.
Fed IV. First main nice/more expensive hat.
Garrison. Not an Indy, and a recent purchase, but sooooo gorgeous.
Steele and Jones ToD bridge scene hat. Another very recent purchase and very very SA.

Think that's it. Wife says I have a fetish. (y)

Drones33

I was going to post a 'how many hats do you have?' question, however having read through this thread I now realise its unnecessary. The reason I was going to put that question out there is, I've been looking to get a second fedora. The one I have is from a German company called AdVintage and it's great. Only £50, pre-bashed, which seemed like a good idea at the time, but it's so stiff I'm convinced it's bullet-proof and refuses to be re-shaped. So I've decided I'd like a new one but was thinking two might be a little self-indulgent. Clearly that's not the case :)
But which one to go for? Well, after a little research, and having seen some recently posted photos (thanks Jsarino!) I've decided a FedIV is the way to go.
(y)

Glenville86

Drones33 said:
I was going to post a 'how many hats do you have?' question, however having read through this thread I now realise its unnecessary. The reason I was going to put that question out there is, I've been looking to get a second fedora. The one I have is from a German company called AdVintage and it's great. Only £50, pre-bashed, which seemed like a good idea at the time, but it's so stiff I'm convinced it's bullet-proof and refuses to be re-shaped. So I've decided I'd like a new one but was thinking two might be a little self-indulgent. Clearly that's not the case :)
But which one to go for? Well, after a little research, and having seen some recently posted photos (thanks Jsarino!) I've decided a FedIV is the way to go.
(y)

Is the one you have the Junior Fedora? Just curious how it holds up.

Drones33

Glenville86 said:
Is the one you have the Junior Fedora? Just curious how it holds up.
Yeah, that's the one. I love it. Just a bit stiff and after wearing it pretty much daily for months it still looks new. Need to beat it up a bit more.Great though, correct sizing, good service from AdVintage too...
adventure_by_00177840-d85549a.jpg

junior_fedora__3__by_00177840-d85546f.jpg

junior_fedora__2__by_00177840-d85542d.jpg

jsarino

Drones33 said:
(y)

Hope you enjoy yours, and no problem! :) I actually have the Fed IV Deluxe (which is a touch more), but you can't go wrong with either one at that price range.

Glenville86

Drones33 said:
Yeah, that's the one. I love it. Just a bit stiff and after wearing it pretty much daily for months it still looks new. Need to beat it up a bit more.Great though, correct sizing, good service from AdVintage too...

Looks really good on you. Thanks for the pictures. (y)

Glenville86

Recently ordered what I think will be my last fedora hats. I have the David Morgan Adventurer, Fed IV in brown and a Fed Delux in brown already. Went ahead and ordered the Fed IV in dark grey and light grey.

I cannot possibly wear out the hats I have in my lifetime......

To be honest, I have a couple of higher end Indy hats and they are nice but I like the Federation hats more. Not as an Indy movie hat but just as a good wearing hat. Never have bought a full beaver hat though but just cannot see where I can justify the price.

The more expensive ones I own are lighter and are good in warmer weather. I have found the Feds to be toasty.

Drones33

Sounds like quite a collection. Do you have an absolute favourite; one that you find yourself most drawn to?
Just ordered a Fed IV. I'm visiting York for a few days in a couple of weeks, hoping it arrives before that so I can take it on its first adventure (y)

Glenville86

Drones33 said:
Sounds like quite a collection. Do you have an absolute favourite; one that you find yourself most drawn to?
Just ordered a Fed IV. I'm visiting York for a few days in a couple of weeks, hoping it arrives before that so I can take it on its first adventure (y)

I actually wear the Fed IV in brown more than any of the others. If I had to do it over, think I would have only one "upper end" Indy hat and the Fed IV in the colors I have. I like all my hats (maybe not the Dorfman so much) but have been really impressed with Akubra for the price.

I have too many leather jackets as well including some Indy style ones.......More than I could wear out in my remaining lifetime. :D

jsarino

Glenville86 said:
I have too many leather jackets as well including some Indy style ones.......More than I could wear out in my remaining lifetime. :D

How many is too many? If you have as many leather jackets as hats, yeah, I'd say that would be a problem. :p I have three leather jackets (2 fleece-lined, then the Todd's), and would like to get another bomber jacket, a RAF WWII-style like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Men-B3-Brow...r-Jacket-/251549878554?_trksid=p2054897.l4275. The wife would kill me though. :p

Glenville86

My wife has a walk in closet full of shoes, boots, coats, and everything else...

She has made a couple remarks about mine and I just mention her overflowing walk in closet. :p

I have about 15 leather coats. Most I have picked up pre-owned on EBay over the years. I normally like the 3/4 length style leather coats. The only new ones I have bought is an LL Bean Flying Tiger, 3-US Wings Indy, 2-Wested Indy on order and a WPG Indy style.

I give a lot of clothing to charity every quarter when they come around and need to get rid of most of my non-leather coats. Still have about 7 field coats left over from my Army days (green, woodland, desert). Have an official licensed Duncan Highlander coat I never wear......:eek:

Glenville86

jsarino said:
^^^OK, I think you win on the hats AND the jackets! :eek: (y)

You should see my functional sword collection. :eek:

I am lucky as I am retired from the Army and work for the Gov as a civilian now. When you are stationed outside the US, they pay your rent and utilities plus your normal pay.

Drones33

Fedora Comparison

My Fed IV arrived, (y) Heres a few comparison photos; at the top is my AdVintage with Raiders bash, at the bottom is my beautiful new Akubra...
FEDORACOMPARISON_zps5cd86a5f.jpg
Ive tried to give my fed more of a Last Crusade look. Of the two I much prefer the Akubra:hat:

Glenville86

Drones33 - excellent hats. I really like my Akubra Indy style hats. They are great in cold weather but for me a little too warm when the temps go up.