Terminator: Dark Fate

curmudgeon

Tim Miller (Deadpool) directs a sequel that ignores the post-T2 films, with James Cameron producing. Stars Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzeneggar are returning, with a young female lead yet to be cast.

The date for this untitled film has now been set for July 26th, 2019.

... Can't be any worse than the last few sequels, right?

TheFedora

curmudgeon said:
Tim Miller (Deadpool) directs a sequel that ignores the post-T2 films, with James Cameron producing. Stars Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzeneggar are returning, with a young female lead yet to be cast.

The date for this untitled film has now been set for July 26th, 2019.

... Can't be any worse than the last few sequels, right?

We're now at the point where every new terminator sequels retcon the other. Yep thats about right.

The Man

"Executives" are blind as to why sequels post-91 will never click with the vast majority of audiences: aside from the fact that their "quality" oscillates arthritically from forgettable to atrocious, to accept them is to undermine and ret-con the events of Terminator 2: Judgement Day - you know, that really great movie? In which they reset the future? FIN! THE END! TERMINATED!

Pale Horse

Staff member
The Man said:
"Executives" are blind as to why sequels post-91 will never click with the vast majority of audiences: aside from the fact that their "quality" oscillates arthritically from forgettable to atrocious, to accept them is to undermine and ret-con the events of Terminator 2: Judgement Day - you know, that really great movie? In which they reset the future? FIN! THE END! TERMINATED!

Cough, Harry Potter. Cough, Marvel Universe. Cough, Creed. Cough, Nolan's Batman trilogy. Cough the Lord of the Rings.

IndyBuff

The timeline has become confusing and all of the films post-T2 haven't been able to capture the magic those films had. At this point I'd like to see them just leave it alone.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
James Cameron’s Terminator 6 post mortem might be applied to Indy 5 someday:
“When you put Linda and Arnold in it and then, you know, she’s 60-something, he’s 70-something, all of a sudden it wasn’t your Terminator movie, it wasn’t even your dad’s Terminator movie, it was your granddad’s Terminator movie. And we didn’t see that. We loved it, we thought it was cool, you know, that we were making this sort of direct sequel to a movie that came out in 1991. And young moviegoing audiences weren’t born. They wouldn’t even have been born for another 10 years. So, it was just our own myopia. We kind of got a little high on our own supply, and I think that’s the lesson there.”

iT wAs WoKe

The mantra of the moron. Good work!
When I was a kid, there were movies with strong women and there were movies with people of all different races.

Now as an adult, movies that don't do that anymore. Instead, they scream at the top of their lungs "OMG look at me! There's never been a woman, black/asian/hispanic person, gay person, disabled person, etc. EVER in movies, and OUR MOVIE is the first! YAAAAAAS queen, worship Captain Marvel! Get on your knees and lick Bree Larson's feet, mere male white peasant! Whites suck, men suck, straight people suck, Christianity is dumb, down with civilization! Power to the people! Seize the means of production, comarades!"

ThrowMeTheWhip

When I was a kid, there were movies with strong women and there were movies with people of all different races.

Now as an adult, movies that don't do that anymore. Instead, they scream at the top of their lungs "OMG look at me! There's never been a woman, black/asian/hispanic person, gay person, disabled person, etc. EVER in movies, and OUR MOVIE is the first! YAAAAAAS queen, worship Captain Marvel! Get on your knees and lick Bree Larson's feet, mere male white peasant! Whites suck, men suck, straight people suck, Christianity is dumb, down with civilization! Power to the people! Seize the means of production, comarades!"
Keep on telling on yourself.

Take your insane paranoia somewhere else. We’re a tolerant lot here, but no one need to tolerate your raving intolerance.

emtiem

I loved Indy5, but it is true that it's slightly mad that we're getting so many sequels to ancient movies. The equivalent to Dark Fate would have been that, when Terminator 2 came out, it was sharing the cinemas with (or perhaps even replaced by) The Great Escape 2. A top film, but in 1991 Terminator was a bit more relevant.

ThrowMeTheWhip

I loved Indy5, but it is true that it's slightly mad that we're getting so many sequels to ancient movies. The equivalent to Dark Fate would have been that, when Terminator 2 came out, it was sharing the cinemas with (or perhaps even replaced by) The Great Escape 2. A top film, but at that time Terminator was a bit more relevant.
Ahem...

Great Escape II came out 3 years earlier in 1988. ;)

fedoraboy

James Cameron’s Terminator 6 post mortem might be applied to Indy 5 someday:
What's interesting is that, yes, both Dark Fate and DoD featured the return of old characters/actors, but they also felt a lot fresher and more innovative and exciting than their immediate predecessors! They also featured plenty of new, younger characters - however I suppose these actors weren't exactly household names, and the marketing of both films leaned heavily on the "icons are back" strategy.

I wonder if DoD would have fared any better if it had featured Indy teaming up with Chris Pratt or something, and marketed heavily as a buddy movie this way? Hard to know, as so many factors played into its failure - and I'm not for a SECOND saying I'd want to see this Pratt/Ford approach!

Both also suffered from a significant online backlash, because - as wonderfully demonstrated by Julian above - a poisonous, fragile minority couldn't stand that these films dared to feature strong, independent women in leading roles.

Last edited:

emtiem

I was talking on another forum with a weirdo who decided that Helena thinks herself ‘better than men’ (exact words he used) because she describes herself as self-sufficient during the Tuk Tuk chase. Bizarre. Imagine thinking that anything women say about themselves has to be in relation to men.
Inevitably he started then talking about Kathy Kennedy etc.

fedoraboy

Whats laughably deluded is the poster above cites Captain Marvel as being evidence that filmmakers have some sinister white/straight/man-hating agenda, completely discounting that 99% of the 4000 other characters in the MCU are straight white men!

If these clowns had been around in the 80’s they’d be raging about the women leads in Alien, Terminator, Halloween or the fact there was a black ghostbuster or that Marion punches Indy in Raiders!! Woke woke woke!!!!