Pillaging the Extended Universe

Attila the Professor

Staff member
We've been discussing over here recently the idea of Fate of Atlantis, the Bantam novels, and, by extension, any Indy stories beyond the 4 films starring Harrison Ford, having material that could be adapted into film.

These elements could include characters, treated as though they existed in that earlier work and aged along with Indy or treated as an individual wholly new to him; artifacts, given a shot at serving as the MacGuffin for a work with a broader audience; locations, seemingly second-string but with an opportunity to bring something new to the films; set pieces, conceptually strong and visual enough to serve for silver screen realization; and even entire narratives, trimmed and stretched into the medium of film, either telescoped forward into a time decades past their original setting or held more or less to their original period, but with a new actor.

I, for one, hope to see one of Indy's entourage crushed to death by a large stuffed bear.

Finn

Staff member
I dunno if it's a good idea to derail the thread on its 3rd post, but since the Good Prof used expression "entourage", it got me thinking how good the plot armor protection in these movies is. Only baddies and duplicitious characters like Mac and Elsa ever seem to meet their demise.

To date, there's just one exception that has made Indy witness a friendly character's death on screen: Wu Han.

So a good guy's death (if we are to consider someone who's not a one-scene wonder like Wu Han) in itself would be something that's thus far only happened in the EU materials.

Randy_Flagg

Finn said:
I dunno if it's a good idea to derail the thread on its 3rd post, but since the Good Prof used expression "entourage", it got me thinking how good the plot armor protection in these movies is. Only baddies and duplicitious characters like Mac and Elsa ever seem to meet their demise.

To date, there's just one exception that has made Indy witness a friendly character's death on screen: Wu Han.

So a good guy's death (if we are to consider someone who's not a one-scene wonder like Wu Han) in itself would be something that's thus far only happened in the EU materials.

The movie could open with Mutt being crushed by a giant boulder, and Indy rolling his eyes and saying, "I handled that a lot better than you did, kid."

Pale Horse

Staff member
Randy_Flagg said:
The movie could open with Mutt being crushed by a giant boulder, and Indy rolling his eyes and saying, "I handled that a lot better than you did, kid."

So callous.

So funny.

Z dweller

Randy_Flagg said:
Post of the year, bravo. :p

TheFedora

If you were to borrow from the extended universe, I would say look to the older Indy comics. I have a few Omnibus of the 'Further Adventures of Indiana Jones' as well as the main 'Indiana jones' series... there were quite a few relics from there that they could use.

I remember in one of the comics they used the Spear of Christ and tied it in to the fae. Also they could do other relics such as the Golden Fleece which would be very interesting in live action.

Lao_Che

Attila the Professor said:
I, for one, hope to see one of Indy's entourage crushed to death by a large stuffed bear.

Not just any bear: "the deadly Kodiak, largest bear in the world."