The Hobbit: A Peter Jackson Trilogy

Tsar

Meh, I didn't care for Pan's Labyrinth; movie was really painful to watch at times.

agentsands77

Tsar said:
Meh, I didn't care for Pan's Labyrinth; movie was really painful to watch at times.
Just because of the content, or because you thought it was crappy?

I did think that it was a pretty brutal movie, but I thought that the juxtaposition between the violence and the fantasy produced something really sublime.

RelicHunter

|ZiR| said:
Really? This is the first time I've heard someone trash Del Toro. Have you actually seen all of his movies and thought they were terrible? I wish I could say I've seen them all.

The Devil's Backbone is one of the better modern films of the that genre I've seen.

As a matter of fact I have seen all of his marketed films. And his style is not for Lord Of The Rings. I don't care what any of you sit in here and say. Pan's Labrynth sucked! This is the first time you have heard someone trash Del toro? Why don't you try visiting a Lord Of The Rings Forum, I am sure you will find some there!

lucy

well kids could have been worse
at first they were talking about sam raimi directing it and after spiderman 3 Im SO glad he aint.

Tsar

agentsands77 said:
Just because of the content, or because you thought it was crappy?

I did think that it was a pretty brutal movie, but I thought that the juxtaposition between the violence and the fantasy produced something really sublime.

Content; the scene where the lady slices the Captain's mouth, and him later stitching it up. I cringed.

The Man

Ian onboard. Officially...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22969

'Speaking at a special screening of The Dark Knight at London?s Imax cinema on Monday night, he said: "Well, I haven?t had the contract yet but it?s everyone?s intention that I play Gandalf so yes, I will be returning to the role. Although it?s not until 2010, I?m very much excited about returning.?'

Basically Christopher Lee says:

He would love to return to the Middle Earth... but he is no more convinced about the idea of returning to New Zealand and spend almost four years there. He is too old and tired for such a journey. A 26-hour long flight is definitely too much for him, at this point.
Anyway, he would be pleased to do the voice acting work for Smaug the dragon.

The conclusions are... Saruman doesn't appear in "The Hobbit" novel, so he will probably not even appear in the film. But he was meant to be one of the key characters for the sequel. So, in case the sequel movie will be done, there are two possibilities:

1) changing the actor.
2) filming the scenes with Christopher Lee in some blue-screen sets in London, and then use massive special effects to recreate the locations.

I think they will more probably change the actor... and THAT'S one thing that I hate!!! Damn!!!! :mad: :mad:

Last edited:

deckard24

The Stranger said:
Basically Christopher Lee says:

He would love to return to the Middle Earth... but he is no more convinced about the idea of returning to New Zealand and spend almost four years there. He is too old and tired for such a journey. A 26-hour long flight is definitely too much for him, at this point.
Anyway, he would be pleased to do the voice acting work for Smaug the dragon.

The conclusions are... Saruman doesn't appear in "The Hobbit" novel, so he will probably not even appear in the film. But he was meant to be one of the key characters for the sequel. So, in case the sequel movie will be done, there are two possibilities:

1) changing the actor.
2) filming the scenes with Christopher Lee in some blue-screen sets in London, and then use massive special effects to recreate the locations.

I think they will more probably change the actor... and THAT'S one thing that I hate!!! Damn!!!! :mad: :mad:
I really hope they don't recast Saruman, Lee owned that role and there's absolutely no one else I could see play him now! It's the equivalent of recasting any of the main characters Gandalf, Frodo, Legolas, Elrond, etc... The only exception to the rule is the character of Bilbo, because he obviously has to be a lot younger in The Hobbit. They could still bring back Ian Holm for the bridge scenes between the second movie and FOTR, but for the majority of The Hobbit they need a younger actor around the age of 25-35.

Regardless this is great news that this film is finally getting underway, and even though I wasn't that enamored with Hellboy II, I'm still looking forward to Del Toro's take on Tolkein!

The Man

Where the Hell is The Lovely Bones?! I understand there was a squabble over depicting Heaven in the movie, but it must be in the can by now, especially with Jackson set for Tin-Tin...

deckard24

The Man said:
Where the Hell is The Lovely Bones?! I understand there was a squabble over depicting Heaven in the movie, but it must be in the can by now, especially with Jackson set for Tin-Tin...
Good question! I know Mark Wahlberg took over for Ryan Gosling in the role of the father, but that was the last bit of news I heard about it a while ago.

As for The Hobbit movie, what I'm interested in most is the casting! I'm chomping at the bit to see who will be cast as Bilbo, and minor characters like Bard the Bowman, Beorn, and King Thranduil! With Del Toro involved it's almost a given that Ron Perlman and Doug Jones will have roles, but who? Here are my guesses for the possible cast:

• Bilbo Baggins-James McAvoy or Martin Freeman (Most likely McAvoy!)
  • Beorn-Ron Perlman
  • King Thranduil-Doug Jones
  • Bard the Bowman-Hugh Jackman, or in the best case scenario Daniel Day Lewis!
  • Dwarves-John Rhys Davies, Brendan Gleeson, James Cosmo, Brian Blessed, and Brian Cox. The others I'm unsure of.
  • Smaug-Once again possibly Ron Perlman for the voice, or even John Rhys Davies or John Hurt.
  • Gollum-Andy Serkis without a doubt!
  • Gandalf-Ian Mckellan obviously!
  • Elrond-Hugo Weaving
  • Galadriel-Cate Blanchett
  • Saruman-Christopher Lee(keeps fingers crossed!)
  • Aragorn-Viggo Mortensen obviously!
  • Arwen-Liv Tyler
  • Legolas-Orlando Bloom

Who do you guys predict for the roles?

Indy~Annie

me and my friends re Lotr nuts!!! :D thats why were friends.lol

we heard about this almost a year ago.....but nothing else.:( hope it doesnt turn out to be like Indy 4.....taking 17 years.:p

The Man

http://chud.com/articles/articles/1...MOVIES-BUT-IT039S-REALLY-ONE-MOVIE/Page1.html

"The reality is that we stopped talking the first movie and second movie, and we just started taking about the movie - the two episodes, or two parts, as if they were a single piece of narrative," the director told MTV. "We don?t even call it the bridge movie, we just call it ?The Movie.? And this is great. When we found what reverberated, and we found it in one of our virtual meetings - we understood. It?s a movie."

The Man

Middle Earth in a new dimension..?

http://canmag.com/nw/12581-hobbit-3d-imax

Since the director is currently working on The Hobbit, can we expect the two-part adaptation to wind up here? What about 3D?

?IMAX is a fantastic medium. I am a shareholder. I love IMAX. I remember seeing ?Polar Express,? and then seeing ?Polar Express? in 3D and IMAX and having my life completely transformed,? he enthused, excitedly discussing the format?s immersive capabilities. ?I think it would be a worthy discussion. But it hasn?t arrived.

fixer79

Cool! Thanks for the info, The Man.

I'm really looking forward to this project...
2012's a very long wait though...