Is it still possible to go treasure hunting like Indy?

Dig Site 1138

Saber79 said:
Part of me is actually saddened that I didn't get to experience that time, from what I see in movies and pictures, it really looked like a wondrous time.

Well, even though I'm an admitted romantic about the past, I think I'd be careful what you wish for. The 1930's were marked by a global depression, the rise of Fascism, political unrest... Wait! that sounds kinda like now ;)

Dig Site 1138

Gear said:
Erm, no.

To the contrary, I think Hawass has the sort of filter on history and relics that Indiana Jones would defend against.

I'd like to see Zahi Hawass and Gabby Barkay in a fist fight. Of course, each punch would need to be overdubbed with the sound of a baseball bat striking a pile of leather jackets...

:gun:

NONoXLL

Saber79 said:
I can only imagine that it would be possible to still go treasure hunting as I'm sure there any tons of stuff still left to be found...

However, I would think a lot of the mystery and romanticism of the unknown would be lost with the way the world is shrinking with the internet, social media networks etc etc. I think a lot of what draws us to the Indy movies and stories are the mystery of the unknown and the fact that is set in the 20's-50's, where you could still use your imagination and education to get by, without having to just merely do a google search.

Part of me is actually saddened that I didn't get to experience that time, from what I see in movies and pictures, it really looked like a wondrous time.

I agree with you about this. The sterility of consistency, standards, and safety have robbed us of much, but on the flip side the knowledge we have now is worth much more than the romanticism that we could have enjoyed back then.
I live in Japan, and before I came here I used to imagine it as being romantic in the same way you described the early part of last century. I have lived deep, deep in the country and in the middle of Tokyo and unfortunately I have to say there isn't much romance or treasure to be found here. For me, one of the only throw backs to the old days is you can ride a bicycle without a helmet! And I don't even have a bicycle.

I think the real treasure is lying at the bottom of the sea. If you think about it there's been a hell of a lot of shipwrecks, due to ship failure, weather, acts of violence, and few people have really gone looking.

otto rahn

goodeknight said:
Getting back on track, sure it's possible to go on Indy-esque treasure hunting expeditions. Civil War and Indian artifacts in the states, fossil hunting on private land in the states, sneaking pottery shards out of foreign countries, going on safari in Africa, jungle cruises, volunteering (i.e. paying out the wazoo) to do the heavy labor on archaeological digs.

Lots of possibilities for adventure.

Now if you're looking for treasure maps and cryptic clues, that's more for the movies, though they certainly exist as well. But then you're looking at 'professional treasure hunting' with big $$ backers paying for lots of equipment and manpower as they hope to find lost treasures. (What's the name of the island with the supposed pirate treasure and all the flood water traps, etc?)

So, just go looking for arrowheads and get some friends to shoot at you with paintball guns while you do it.
I think you mean "Oak Island". You would need permission and have to have pretty wealthy backing to go after that one I feel !

Samuel

In Sweden there is an old man that deals in antiquities, he also owns his own store. I became a returning customer because i found his store to be special, its was full of old military equipment and so full of stuff that you almost couldn't walk into the store.
He told me that right after the colonial rule fell, he jumped on a plane to India to go hunt for antiquities. The fact that the old rulers were running away, and the chaos that erupted made it easy to steal great stuff. He came back to Sweden with three huge containers he had brought seaway, they were full of Golden and silver treasure, swords belonging to Maharajas and ancient clothes. He still has these huge containers in his backyard. This behavior is probably not unique for dealers in antiquities.
(Few have as high morale as Indiana Jones, although there still are many conflicts concerning antiquities, Egypt is still very angry about the Obelisk in Central Park for example. They really want it back)
http://animalnewyork.com/2011/01/egypt-wants-the-central-park-obelisk-back/

Anyway, back to the dealer, after a couple of visits we got into a discussion about oppression, then i found out that he was a passionate Nazi :eek: he blamed the second wold war on the jews(!) That was the last time i visited his store. He might seem like a villain from Indiana Jones, but its all true.

Montana Smith

Samuel said:
(Few have as high morale as Indiana Jones

You mean morals, I presume. While Indy isn't exactly a good role model (he's little more than a grave robber himself, selling his finds to a museum), he's positively saintly compared to that old dealer!

dr.jones1986

Montana Smith said:
You mean morals, I presume. While Indy isn't exactly a good role model (he's little more than a grave robber himself, selling his finds to a museum), he's positively saintly compared to that old dealer!

I actually see him as being a good role model. A lot of his bravado is all talk, in TOD he talks about Fortune and Glory, yet in the end he gives the village bank the Sankara Stone. He could have made money off of it but realizes its importance to the village. As far as museums go, they are a great place for ancient artifacts. It allows people to learn and appreciate about these artifacts and the cultures that created them. Indiana Jones seems to have a genuine passion for history and other cultures.

Montana Smith

dr.jones1986 said:
I actually see him as being a good role model. A lot of his bravado is all talk, in TOD he talks about Fortune and Glory, yet in the end he gives the village bank the Sankara Stone. He could have made money off of it but realizes its importance to the village. As far as museums go, they are a great place for ancient artifacts. It allows people to learn and appreciate about these artifacts and the cultures that created them. Indiana Jones seems to have a genuine passion for history and other cultures.

Yet the first expedition we see him on was to steal the Chachapoyan Idol, which is still revered and protected by the Hovitos. In that Indy is in the tradition of a long line of adventurers entering foreign countries to 'liberate' their valuable artifacts in the name of the public good.

The TOD prequel may have been an early example of Lucas attempting to turn a roguish anti-hero more towards the respectable hero (which he would later do to Han Solo). I think both he and Spielberg became more concerned about the effect of their 'heroes' on a family audience.

JRJENNINGS86

I've tried to do some treasure hunting recently. I inherited some old books, charts and a boat from one of my uncles in Florida, well he spent most of his life treasure hunting befor he passed. with the old books and his charts i went in search of some of the areas he was exploring and came up dry. I did manage to find a few small artifacts. from what i was told, they most likely came from a lost spanish merchant vessle. it was a hand made stone cup and a coral crusted spoon. I am def keeping them forever, and the location will remain my secret too;) i am sure there is more artifacts there. in my mind the real treasure is the adventure itself and exploring these areas with my wife and family.

Nurhachi1991

This one time I was in this temple and there was this idol so I grabbed it but this rock liked came crashing down I managed to escape but this guy Bellosh or whatever his name was took the idol from me ):

Yes.

Kerala royals elated at treasure discoveryan inventory of the stock.

The unofficial estimate of the gems and jewellery found in the chambers, two of which have not been openned

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The erstwhile royal family of Travancore in Kerala is thrilled that valuables worth thousands of crores have been discovered in the chambers of a temple it manages.

A Supreme Court appointed committee is opening six chambers in the Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple and making for nearly 150 years, is Rs.1 lakh crore ($22 billion).

The head of the royal family of Travancore, Uthradom Thirunal Marthanda Varma, was tight lipped on the discovery and said: "I have nothing to say on this because one has to abide by the ruling of the apex court."

Varma is the managing trustee of the trust that runs the temple.

The task of making the inventory began Monday and five chambers have been opened.

One of the members of the royal family said: "How many royal families in the country can be proud of keeping things like this? You should understand that two chambers out of the six have not been opened for more than 150 years and it there that the treasure trove has been kept safely.

"Tomorrow (Monday), one of the chamber that has already been opened will be checked again. The chamber B is left. One committee members has gone to Delhi to get the instructions on how to open the chamber B," the royal family member told IANS.

The stock-taking process was ordered by the Supreme Court following a petition by advocate T.P. Sundararajan over mismanagement of the temple affairs.

Meanwhile, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy has called a high-level meeting Sunday evening to discuss the issue of providing fool proof security to the temple in the light of the revelation of the treasure trove.

Thuggee spoils found!