Marcus Brody's Tribute Thread

Pale Horse

Staff member
I was just reading some of the more fasinating threads commerating some of the other Major-minor characters, and while many good Brody stuff lies buried with the wake of Sam Earch's passing, I don't feel like bumping an old thread. So I lazily started a new one.

Knowing that Denholm Elliot has passed, and that any hope of him in IJ-IV is long since passed, I figured we here at the Raven could pause for a moment and reflect on the man (Dr.) Marcus Brody, his life and those characteristics of his, that endear him to us.

This thread is for him.

"I will never forget the time we were sitting at a pub in the heart of London many years ago. He was regailing his over-exagerated experience in the desert just south of the ruins of Alexandreta. After hearing him explain how he singlehandedly overcame the driver of the tank he was being held captive in, and how Henry Sr. would have surely died at the hand of Vogel if he Marcus hadn't pulled Herny dramaticly off the back of the tank, I couldn't help but believe in his bravado he demonstrated, leading up to those exploits.

He said that they were traveling to the Canyon of the Crecent Moon, and Donovan, the traitor, offered him water. Marcus, in his own codgerly way exclaimed "I'd rather spit in your face, but as I haven't got any spit..."

Ah, he made me laugh...

I

Indy_Jones88

My favorite line by him was

"Water, oh no thank you, fish make love in it."

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
- He died on 6 October '92 to be exactly. -

I thought he did a great a great job portraying Marcus.
Marcus was one of my favourite characters.
He was funny.

"Papers, please."
"Papers? Of course." (Sallah to Marcus; "Run."
"Yes."
"Papers. Got it here. Just finished reading it myself." (to Marcus; "Run."
"Yes."
" "Egyptian Mail," morning edition." (to Marcus; "Run."
"Did you say, uh..."
"RUN!!!"

Junior Jones

I just re-watched Raiders last night and noticed an interesting Brody moment.

At Indy's house, when he's packing, Indy asks Brody if the museum gets the Ark. (Sorry I can't quote the lines like many of you can.) Brody pauses and replies nonchalantly "Yes, of course." I got the impression that he didn't have that nailed down, but he was just saying what Indy wanted to hear.

Of course at the end he asks the government men where the Ark is. It's not that he doesn't want the Ark for the museum, but at that moment, while Indy was packing, it wasn't the most important thing. He wasn't focused on getting a new artifact for the museum, he was happy for Indy and excited at his prospects for finding such an important part of history.

Brody had his priorities set on people, not on things.

I

Indy_Jones88

Yes good point. You can also see this at the college at the begining of raiders. When Indy says "I had it in my hands marcus" Brody is disconcerned with it. Also when Indy shows him the other pieces, Marcus acknowledged the pieces but wasn't worried about them. He is more worried about Indy and also about the meeting Indy has to go to with the government officials.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Indy_Jones88 said:
Yes good point. You can also see this at the college at the begining of raiders. When Indy says "I had it in my hands marcus" Brody is disconcerned with it. Also when Indy shows him the other pieces, Marcus acknowledged the pieces but wasn't worried about them. He is more worried about Indy and also about the meeting Indy has to go to with the government officials.

This may be your finest post yet. This is what we like to see, now your learning, Jr. :)

Finn

Staff member
<small>The kid's picking up the habits of the house. He's a fast learner.</small>

I

Indy_Jones88

Thx for the compliments guys. I hope im getting better at posting. I sure am trying hard to make them worth reading. :)

I

Indy's_main_man

Favorite marcus moment:

"Follow me! I know the way!" and he rides off half his body on the horse half off.

Finn

Staff member
IMHO the Best Marcus moment is when we first time see him at Iskenderun.

"Does anyone here speak English... or ancient Greek?"

"Water? No thanks, fish make love in it."

Now, I heard that Elliott actually improvised that second line while shooting. Anyone confirm?

nOOb

according to IMDB he died from AIDs-related turboculosis...was he homosexual, or something? (no offense, just curious) the biography doesn't go into detail.

IndyMcFly

He could have been born with it... I know that's a slim chance, but I'm pretty sure it's possible. Or maybe he got a vaccination or something and the needle wasn't sterilized? Poor guy... he's missed, that's for sure.

In Christ,
Shane

Finn

Staff member
Elliott got the disease in a blood transfusion gone bad. The saddest thing is that he had practically no reason to blame himself for his death. :(

monkey

Denholm Elliot was a great actor. He is missed. He did such a great job bringing the character of Marcus Brody to life.

The character of Marcus Brody is fascinating. He adds so much depth to an IJ story.

I think one of the primary roles that the character of Marcus fills is that of 'archaeology sounding board'. He is the character that Indiana Jones can discuss archaeology with, and in the process, introduce the key archaeological elements of the story to the reader/viewer.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Marcus was the mentor figure. He was the father to Indy when his real father was off on his own quests. He was Indy's greatest friend, and I cannot help but feel that Indy will fill his shoes sometime in the future, as no one else possible could.

Marcus Brody was a great man, and so was Denholm Elliot. The Indiana Jones series would not have been as great as it was without them both.

As for his best line, indeed, his best moment, it has always been, for me anyway, the scene at Henry's house. I am speaking, of course, of the moment where Marcus decides to go back out into the field, to help his protege, to find his old friend, and to search for the divine within himself.

"I'll tell him we'll take two."