Finding Atlantis

phatr32

based on things ive in various books, national geographic articles, and other articles ive read.

steve

Johan

I don't even find the fantacy idea of Atlantis appealing never mind the proposed historical aspect. Let's keep to history that we can actually be interested in rather than a mere hope in a work of fiction

"and other articles ive read"

And you tell me, what is more reliable.... The primary source, or articles written by people thousands of years after the 'fact'?

If you want to know about Atlantis, read Plato.... But it you're going to read Plato, make sure you understand Plato....

There never was any Atlantis, except as a flight of fancy...

Just like Middle Earth

TombReader

ClintonHammond said:
There never was any Atlantis, except as a flight of fancy...

Exactly.Not to mention that the Greeks were not the only ones who had that story.Other cultures also had their own version of an advanced,utopian society which gets destroyed somehow.I think that sometimes people get too focused on proving that these places really existed and gloss over what the story really means,or what it may have meant in the past.

Gustav

That's a very good point. But there were other accounts long before Plato's fictional story that told of a city "falling into the sea". I don't think it should be taken literally though. It could have just been a city that got flooded, much like our New Orleans. You know how dramatic those ancient Greeks could be.

qwerty

I do not think there is any point in fighting over this issue.
If you want to proove that Atlantis existed go out and find it.

"I do not think there is any point in fighting over this issue."

If you don't wish to take part in the discussion, don't post to the thread... simple as that...

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
CH, give me a break. They are just toying with an idea that many thousand others have over the centuries. If it bugs you so much, then why don't you leave the thread?

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
ClintonHammond said:
"They are just toying"

Who's this 'they'?
"They" would be those above your posts CH. I know its a shock, but the world doesn't revolve around you and your posts here.:eek:

"dont have have time to read Plato, and i definetly wont be able to understand it"
That's too bad... Cause if yer interested in "Atlantis", then it's the first and best source of information.... And Platos writing is one of the cornerstones of western thought.... Examining it tells you a LOT about where we came from.... and you can't know where you're going until you know where you've been....

Give it a try sometime! You might be able to understand more than you give yourself credit for....

|
|

Aaron.... I have no idea what you're even on about anymore...

IndyBuff

I finished reading this book last night and overall it's a great read. Rudbeck helped to develop some of the same techniques and stratigies that archeologists use today and his persistance and dedication to finding Atlantis was, to say the least, fascinating.

His biggest problem was that we was unable to listen to anyone else's argument but his own. He was so persistant in trying to prove that Atlantis existed that he overlooked arguments and thoughts that didn't agree with his, and as he went farther in searching he seemed to go further off track. Still, his arguments for the existance of Atlantis in Sweden were interesting and amazing in places. He didn't really find Atlantis but he was certainly convinced that he did. I still don't believe that Atlantis ever existed but I still have to admire Rudbeck's dedication and work nevertheless.

If you get a chance, be sure to check this book out. It's terrific (not to mention that the book's sleeve describes Rudbeck as "having the daring of Indiana Jones").:)

JediIndy

Myself I believe in Atlantis. I am East Indian by decent and live in Canada. I love studying history and archaeology. When i went to india i visited some swami's i believe in and tried to look for history of the thuggy cult. There was a cult and they worshipped Kali. But they did not do human sacrifices. They were more of a assasian cult that the Rich and the Maharaj's hired out to kill their enemies and rivals. They killed in many ways, by slitting throats, shooting by gun, but their most famous is by strangling by a silk scarf.

Anyway back to Atlantis. Some of the Yogis like Sai Baba I went to near Banglaore go into trances and commune with the spirits and dead of the past. They have communed with spirits of people who lived tens of thousands of years ago. Anyway these spirits said that Atlantis did exist over 20,000 years ago. The earth was very diffrent then. The Atlanteans lived in the Mediterannaean and is considered the mother civilation of all the mediterannean cultures even Egypt. The Atlanteans were more advanced than our culture but destroyed themselves because they abused their technologies. (Kind of liked how close we destroyed our civilasition in the 80's with U.S.a and russia about to nuke each other like crazy.)

Their is a book about it called "The fourth Dimension" by Jagadesh. I don't know if it's available in the west. I only saw it in India. But some interesting stuff.

Well that's my take on Atlantis whether it's true or not is anyones guess. I just hope if they do the next film on Atlantis in Indiana Jones they have some ideas like this that I described.

monkey

I know I'm joining this conversation a bit late.......apologies.

But I am a very big Atlantis enthusiast/scholar.

To paraphrase one of the earlier posts: "I believe that a place that we today call Atlantis existed".

Surely it did!! There is too much overwhelming evidence of it to deny it. WHERE? Well, that is the big problem. I think that it is apparent that Atlantis did not exist in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. But there are many, and varied theories on where it existed. I personally favor a few: I believe in the possibility that "Atlantis" was a seagoing empire that existed along the coasts of several continents, including both North and South America. Or perhaps it was a meditteranean based nation/state. Another theory I favor is that it was a North African locale.........and that the descendants were the Phonecians.... and of course.......the Egyptians.

I have read Plato..........I have studied the evidence.......I have studied the Piri Reis maps. The Bible, among numerous other historical and mythical records describes in detail the Earth catastrophes that are mirrored in the Atlantean record.

I am a strong believer and supporter (which puts me in the company of a certain,........um......famous..... scientist whose initials are A.E.) of Charles Hapgood's theory of Earth crustal displacement.

I could go on all night, but ....................

monkey

Actually there is quite a bit of evidence that Jesus Christ existed.

(I try to follow his teachings every day).

But I do believe that there is also a lot of evidence that a place/civilization....that we today refer to as Atlantis....also existed.

I don't think it is pure fantasy......I think that it existed.........perhaps not in the fanciful ways that some imaginative people think.....but nonetheless....

I am interested to know CH.........have you heard of the Piri Reis maps???....and have you heard of Professor Charles Hapgood...and his theory of Earth Crustal Displacement.......(pole shifts)?

Surely you've heard of Albert Einstein.........

Albert Einstein supported Charles Hapgood's theories on Earth Crustal Displacement. In fact, Albert Einstein wrote the forward to Charles Hapgood's book "Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings".

Interesting reading.