Indy V was confirmed since the beginning?

Shark_Blade

I was reading The Complete Making Of Indiana Jones and came up with a paragraph on page 36:

"Three days after the signatures, on November 30, 1979, Variety announced the deal. Underneath the headline screaming across the banner, Dale Pollock wrote:

"Confirming one of the most talked-about deals in Hollywood, Paramount Pictures will finance and distribute worldwide the Lucasfilm production of Raiders of the Lost Ark, along with four sequeals to the property."

Your thoughts? :eek:

deckard24

I never took it at face value, considering Lucas also said he had planned to make 9 Star Wars films! However now with the ending of KOTCS left open for a sequel, I could definitely see it happening. If so they better get going soon, because Ford isn't getting any younger and both him and Spielberg have a lot of irons in the fire. But who knows, they might already have some early pre-production ideas being worked on as we speak! I wouldn't doubt it.

IndyFan89

My fiend brought this up to me the other day when i was talking about the posibility of Indy V, he said "Thats nothing new, they was supposed to make 5 in the first place."

Seems like we sometimes live in another world as fans and get so worried about it that we overlook things like this. (y)

Goonie

I heard that a number of years ago, that the original deal was for 5 movies. It would be nice to have six.

WillKill4Food

Yes, there were supposed to be five Indy films.
No, I don't think they're will be.

And, actually, there were originally supposed to be four Star Wars stories. Star Wars was originally the conclusion and the prequels were supposed to not be filmed. Then, with the success of Star Wars, Lucas decided to make sequels. And, the prequels followed.
But, of course, Mr. Lucas wants us to believe that he was going to make 9 Star Wars films, just as, if he makes Indy V, he'll want us to believe he was going to make five Indys. But, if he doesn't, he'll say, "No, I only wanted to make four" just like in 1989 he "only wanted to make three."

Conclusion: Lucas is a big fat liar in the tradition of Rush Limbaugh and Michael Moore. ;)

Goonie

WillKill4Food said:
But, of course, Mr. Lucas wants us to believe that he was going to make 9 Star Wars films, just as, if he makes Indy V, he'll want us to believe he was going to make five Indys.

Actually, there will be 9 Star Wars movies, if you count The Clone Wars and the two Ewok movies. (Holiday Special never happened, it doesn't exist. ;) )

Nurhachi1991

The new Star Wars movie looks stupid.......... **** the clone wars why did the not make a chi with Han Solo,Luke,Leia,Chewie,Lando

Hell there not doing anything other than Harrison of course.

DetectiveFork

WillKill4Food said:
Yes, there were supposed to be five Indy films.
No, I don't think they're will be.

And, actually, there were originally supposed to be four Star Wars stories. Star Wars was originally the conclusion and the prequels were supposed to not be filmed. Then, with the success of Star Wars, Lucas decided to make sequels. And, the prequels followed.
But, of course, Mr. Lucas wants us to believe that he was going to make 9 Star Wars films, just as, if he makes Indy V, he'll want us to believe he was going to make five Indys. But, if he doesn't, he'll say, "No, I only wanted to make four" just like in 1989 he "only wanted to make three."

Conclusion: Lucas is a big fat liar in the tradition of Rush Limbaugh and Michael Moore. ;)

But I think what's key here is that the signed deal with Paramount was apparently or five Indiana Jones pictures. The question is if that agreement is still being adhered to or even still valid.

muttjones

Thats old news buddy!

they signed a contract to make five movies but they obviously didnt say when it had to happen.
The next one could be made another 19 years down the track when george lucas is 80 something.
I think they will make Indy V though.

No Ticket

DetectiveFork said:
But I think what's key here is that the signed deal with Paramount was apparently or five Indiana Jones pictures. The question is if that agreement is still being adhered to or even still valid.

Of course it isn't. It's not as if they were saying "hurry up and make those other two Indy's, it's in the contract" and that's why we got KOTCS. Lucas and Spielberg have enough power and respect to have that contractual obligation overlooked/ignored/void.