Who should return? Anyone?

Rocket Surgeon said:
Aw...come on, you came out to play! Don't' run away!

CGI trolls, there are so many...

Speaking of trolls, maybe they could cgi Marryun's Raiders body and face onto the knackered current version if they do do another Indy?

Randy_Flagg

Kai Hagen said:
They're just sidekicks, not his wives.
Wait till you become seventy.....
I think when I turn 70, I'd feel a little odd hanging around with girls who are in their 20s. Hell, I'm in my 30s now, and I already get impatient when I have to hang out too long with girls who are in their early 20s.

replican't said:
Speaking of trolls, maybe they could cgi Marryun's Raiders body and face onto the knackered current version if they do do another Indy?
I think we should get some new blood instead of all this returning. That Indy IV dream has got me wondering if Bob Dylan would make a great brother to Oxley...they could CGI him to make him look lucid early on and then you wouldn't need makeup to have him fill out the rest of the film as a burn out.

He could be a villain turning the youth of the 60s into drug addled zombies...or trolls.

COOL!

By the way, for the record Bob Dylan was rubbish after 1976 and I dont listen to his stuff anymore, so continue your lame trolling all you like but its kinda pointless....

I don't understand what you mean. Your extensive and repetitive Skull, CGI, Marryun reflections just add up to Bob Dylan to me.

Why so serious?

Did I touch a nerve?

My most sincere and humbly honest apologies... please continue your flaming and trolling of Crystal Skull.

Kai Hagen

Randy_Flagg said:
I think when I turn 70, I'd feel a little odd hanging around with girls who are in their 20s. Hell, I'm in my 30s now, and I already get impatient when I have to hang out too long with girls who are in their early 20s.
Harrison Ford was about 3.23 times older than Jonathan Ke Quan (Short Round) when they did the ToD.
Harrison Ford is about 3 times older than Truong Tri Truc Diem and only twice as old as Emmanuelle Sophie Anne Chriqui.
Think about it.

Montana Smith

By the time they make Indy 5 it'll be a case of checking to see who would feasibly be still alive.

And the first one to cross of the list will be Indiana Jones himself!

Montana Smith said:
By the time they make Indy 5 it'll be a case of checking to see who would feasibly be still alive.

And the first one to cross of the list will be Indiana Jones himself!
But will YOU still be here to vamp on his loose flesh?!

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Then I'll expect a higher quality in camp then simple replication...

"Replication in computing involves sharing information so as to ensure consistency between redundant resources, such as software or hardware components, to improve reliability, fault-tolerance, or accessibility."

In terms of Indiana Jones that would mean Harrison Ford returning in the title role.

However, his age is making him redundant in a role that would be consistent with the original trilogy.

Mutt was the component employed to improve accessibility. By rights, he, or some other more reliable foil must return to disguise the issue that the main character is past his use-by date.

Ergo, any Indiana Jones #5 will be worse than #4. Consistent only in name and faulty to its core.

The only other live action alternative is a reboot, and everyone is liable to return. It won't be consistent with #1-4, but neither will the audience have to suffer a foil.

Montana Smith said:
The only other live action alternative is a reboot, and everyone is liable to return. It won't be consistent with #1-4, but neither will the audience have to suffer a foil.

The Indy V odds are slim but they've not hit bottom yet...there might still be some tred left in his boots.

Someone has to die though.

Kasdan's recent comments about Star Wars make the cliffhanger that is Indy V exciting...

Mickiana

Rocket Surgeon said:
The Indy V odds are slim but they've not hit bottom yet...there might still be some tred left in his boots.

Someone has to die though.

Kasdan's recent comments about Star Wars make the cliffhanger that is Indy V exciting...

What were these comments? I've had a look but can't find them.

Spurlock

More Returning Cast Members?

Well, In Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Marion Ravenwood returns, along with mentions of Henry Jones and Marcus Brody. My question is; would you like to see more people returning to Indiana Jones?

Personally, I have a creative story in mind centered around Short Round (don't worry, it's actually not a bad idea if you hear it). That begin said, I would also want more people, sidekicks and love interests to be added, instead of simply taking from the short list of the 2 love interests that made it through adventures with Indy.

In my opinion, if there was the time to make several Indiana Jones films, I wouldn't mind seeing Willie again (trust me, in my head I have a good story and scene with this). But if Indiana Jones 5 was truly the last Harrison driven Indiana Jones adventure, I'd like more new faces instead of old.

How about you guys though?

The Drifter

The only returning character that I would enjoy seeing would be Lao Che. I could deal with a mention of Short Round, but I don't want him tagging along at all.
I really don't even want a love interest or anyone at all to follow Indiana on this adventure.
I've said before that I would prefer to have Indiana acting alone. If a 5th one ever got made it would have to be personal. I've mentioned my ideas in various other threads.

Montana Smith

Indy and Marion's firstborn should return from the dead,

Raiders.png

And this thread should return here:

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=22157

Indy's brother

Since this thread is about to be merged with this newer one (I assume), I may as well jump back in. Bringing Indy himself back as recurring character in his own franchise was enough to make fanboys eat their hat with barrel-chested angst. Why pour gas on the fire. No more rehashing. It doesn't work here after so many years. It comes across as forced. Move on to a new thing. Love it or hate it, the better characters in these films (with the exception of Sallah) were the new ones. This is an ADVENTURE series. It's SUPPOSED to be new every time. Indy is a globe-trotting entity with many adventures we don't know about in his past. How hard is it to team him up with one of the many people he has rubbed elbows with that we DON'T know yet? That's how to keep it fresh, for crying out loud. Give us new characters, with new backstories. He's the American man of mystery, shed some light on that. It's wide open. Bringing Marion back was a decent idea, but it didn't work. Give us something new, if we are to get anything at all.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
No more rehashing. It doesn't work here after so many years. It comes across as forced. Move on to a new thing. Love it or hate it, the better characters in these films (with the exception of Sallah) were the new ones. This is an ADVENTURE series. It's SUPPOSED to be new every time. Indy is a globe-trotting entity with many adventures we don't know about in his past. How hard is it to team him up with one of the many people he has rubbed elbows with that we DON'T know yet? That's how to keep it fresh, for crying out loud. Give us new characters, with new backstories.

Yes, yes, and more yes.

Temple of Doom was a departure from Raiders in terms of characters. Even The Last Crusade kept away from Marion.

KOTCS, which smacks of populist opportunism, disregarded the past and tied up loose ends, which considering,

Indy's brother said:
He's the American man of mystery

it wasn't particularly shagadelic to see his wild, reckless days being curtailed by having him promoted to a position which would make it difficult to pursue his selfish interests, not to mention the wife, family and comfy slippers that will attempt to keep him at home.

Though we do run into that other problem. It's hard not be ageist, but these films need young, pretty things of the female kind. Unless old Indy appears an old lecher, it would be unbecoming for him to be the focus of attraction. Hence Indy is side-lined as far as romance goes, unless it's Indy on Golden Pond.

For all things to work as they should Indy himself needs to be returned to an earlier time. Unfortunately, that means pensioning off Harrison Ford. Unless a writer can be bold enough, and skilled enough, to create a credible son of Indy who is a carbon copy of his father, allowing Harrison to play the mentor.

But we lose the period in time that's most appealing for the character - the 1930s and 1940s. On top of that, the son should not really return.

So, everywhere you take this you run into some form of roadblock to perfection.

Indy's brother

If it's to be Ford again, which is increasingly less likely (though I have to say, he looks great, even better than KOTCS in the Ender's Game trailer), then I say, forget the love interest. It's not necessary anymore. He's an old man, let's see where that takes him. Let him play out his role in a gritty, grizzled, loner kind of way. Gee. kind of a stretch for Ford and his embodiment of the character....

:rolleyes:

If not Ford, but a recast somewhere down the road, it's kind of a no-brainer to not bring anyone back. As forcerd as it felt with a Ford-helmed film (last time), can you IMAGINE how bad it would be with other actors? Jeez. Let it go. New stuff, please.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
If not Ford, but a recast somewhere down the road, it's kind of a no-brainer to not bring anyone back. As forcerd as it felt with a Ford-helmed film (last time), can you IMAGINE how bad it would be with other actors? Jeez. Let it go. New stuff, please.

You mean new, non-Indy films?

Critically, it makes sense to leave Indy behind with his Ford-associated baggage, and forge ahead with a completely new character.

Comparisons to Ford might fade away in a future where children first know the character as being played by 'X', and only later discover that there were four other films with some guy called Ford.

Financially it makes great sense to continue with Indy, whoever plays the role, which is how I regard the last film. You throw Ford into the outfit, bring back his first love and it's going to make money no matter what.

You throw somebody new into the outfit, and it'll still bring in a guaranteed revenue based solely on the Indy name.

When they finally get around to making a fifth film, I hope they consider the character and story first and foremost, and not just bring back 'Indy' and several other known associates to make a quick buck and sell some merchandise.