Bonekickers

Montana Smith

Surprised there hasn't been a Bonekickers thread made here. According to the search function it's never even been mentioned here before.

I didn't bother when it aired on TV, and am only watching now because the DVD was one of those random finds. I remember at the time archaeologists complained about being referred to as 'Bonekickers'!

Adrian Lester described the series as "CSI meets Indiana Jones...There's an element of the crime procedural show, there's science, conspiracy theories—and there's a big underlying mystery that goes through the whole six-episode series."

I'm getting towards the end of the six episodes. The show was apparently so poorly received by critics and viewers that the writers themselves declined the BBC's offer to commission a second series!

You couldn't confuse it with Time Team since it's light on real history, and more akin to Indiana Jones. There's also a mild air of something supernatural.

By episode four it seems to be warming up, but Gugu Mbatha-Raw has been the big attraction since the beginning:

bonekickers_blog1.jpg

Spoilers may follow...

I noted several Indiana Jones references or allusions. Notably, in the first episode, Army of God, there are a series of crosses, one of which is suspected of having been Jesus'. There's a Last Crusade moment of choosing.

"Ok! These are Roman crosses, collected from the Crusades. The Templars didn't know which was Christ's, so they brought them all."

"How do we know which one? It's all about faith isn't it?"

Episode three, The Cradle of Civilization, has an almost unmistakable Indy/Marion vibe:

Gillian to Ben, referring to their former relationship: "I was a kid, you'd dumped me..."

Apart from Gugu I wouldn't exactly call this must-see entertainment, but it does have its moments.

HovitosKing

Given the anemic response to this thread, is it any wonder nobody ever made mention of this show before? ;)