U2

Is the Miracle (of Joey Ramone) a miracle?

• Love it. Steve Jobs gives it two thumbs up from the grave!

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Love it. Huge U2 fan. They can do no wrong.

• Hate it. Sharon Osbourne is my mom.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate it. You call that a tribute to a punk icon? Seriously?

• Total voters

Deadlock

Happy U2-uesday!!!

I'm as giddy as a schoolboy; my Christmas came early this year! I'm sitting here trying to work and listening to U2's latest. And wow, that's all I have to say. I've always been refreshed by rock and roll that gets beyond the personal issues of the band. I can only listen to angst-ridden 'I broke up with my girlfriend' anthems so many times. But as usual, U2 pulls off a frickin sweet album with lyrics of greater/global/eternal significance. You can just rock, and/or you can reflect on haves not helping have-nots.

Where you live should not decide
Whether you live or whether you die
Three to a bed
Sister Ann, she said
Dignity passes by

And you speak of signs and wonders
But I need something other
I would believe if I was able
I'm waiting on the crumbs from your table

(From Crumbs From Your Table)

The album is AWESOME. Definitely worth leaving work to go to Best Buy (there was a dude in a suit in line behind me with the same special edition CD/DVD/Book, so I'm not alone :)). My only criticism, the special edition book didn't have the lyrics? :mad: Oh well, that's what Google,s for... Or maybe I'll just buy another CD for the car.:)

Joe Brody

Deadlock,

I'm not the biggest fan of new U2 but your post sent this old U2 fan off on a nostalgia trip.

Early U2, with songs dealing with the Troubles in Ireland and the Solidarity Movement in Poland, was a real awakening for me -- a young kid in the early '80's who was just starting to figure things out in the world. I remember listening to 'New Years Day' and it was like nothing I'd ever heard before. The piano was haunting and the video -- with the WWI film clips and the band on horseback with the White Flag -- really resonated with this fan of Indiana Jones and Warren Beatty's Reds. You'er right Deadlock, their message always set them apart.

Joshua Tree came out the beginning of my Freshman year of College. I remember skipping class to sit in a friends dorm room to listen to the new songs. Later in the Spring I skipped two days of classes to camp out for tickets. If you were to ever see a video of U2's concert at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh for the Joshua Tree tour, during 'New Year's Day' you'd see a guy in brown fedora (not the familiar one but a simpler hat with a leather band) on the floor standing 15 rows back, center stage, waving a white flag. That would be me.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb...

That is easy, first, clip the red wire. Or was it the yellow? Maybe its the green. :dead:

All kidding aside, I'm not a bit U2 fan, but from what I hear (and how many I scanned out today...I work at a Best Buy) its a great album. :cool:

monkey

I've been a big U2 fan from way back.

I remember buying the album (and yes I mean an actual 33 RPM, vinyl album) "October" back in the very early 80's after being blown away by watching them perform a great song called 'Gloria' (still one of my favorite U2 songs) in a new format called a 'music video, on a brand new channel called MTV.

I remember trying to convince my friends how great this brand new band from Ireland was.

"Oh, what are they, another one of those 'New Wave' bands?"

(some of you younger Raveners might not remember 'New Wave')

"These guys aren't just another band" I tried to tell them.

Well, the rest is history.

And does anyone remember U2's performance at the Superbowl a couple of years ago? It was shortly after the 911 attacks. Phenomenol, and very moving. The Stars and Stripes sewn into Bono's jacket liner.

Zharah

My dad's in a U2 tribute band, so I always have to listen to U2, which I do not mind at all. But I must say this new album is really soft compared to their older ones. I had listened to the new album about a month ago, when it leaked onto the web and my dad had downloaded them to progress with his band. And I was very happy with the results. I think U2 made an excellent album and can't wait for their tour in the U.S. beginning in March.

Deadlock

monkey said:
And does anyone remember U2's performance at the Superbowl a couple of years ago? It was shortly after the 911 attacks. Phenomenol, and very moving. The Stars and Stripes sewn into Bono's jacket liner.

Yes, I do. I remember the names of all the people who died scrolling on the screens above the band... best Superbowl performance EVER.

Zharah said:
But I must say this new album is really soft compared to their older ones.

It's true, it's softer than I was thinking it was going to be. But a lot of the older sounds show through in this album, more so than some of their previous outings. "All Because Of You" sounds like something from Boy.

I was also very moved by "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" that was written for Bono's dad when he was dying of cancer. It's so cool when rock stars can show that kind of love and respect for their family...

Joe Brody

monkey said:
I remember buying the album (and yes I mean an actual 33 RPM, vinyl album) "October" back in the very early 80's after being blown away by watching them perform a great song called 'Gloria' (still one of my favorite U2 songs) in a new format called a 'music video, on a brand new channel called MTV.

I was always more partial to 'I will Follow'. . . .their hair in the video is a riot.

deckard24

I've always been a U2 fan, even though I've felt their time was up at several different points in their career, ie. the Pop tour. But, with this new album I'm pleased to see they are going back to basics, and have actually delivered on the hype. With the exception of the "Get on your Boots" track, this album is definitely one of their best. That song even though it's catchy, is just way too much like "Vertigo" or one of their other typical radio friendly songs. I've only listened to the album twice, but already it has grown on me a lot.

My biggest issue above all is Bono wearing eye liner!(n)

metalinvader

Oddly enough,I'm listening to this album for about the 15th time.

I ****ing love this album.It's their best album since Actung Baby.

Just my opinion but the second track,Magnificent just may be the greatest U2 song to date.

Last edited:

Morning Bell

As a MASSIVE U2 fan I must say I'm absolutely loving this album. Every track is great and the soundscapes are fantastic; it reminds me a bit of a cross between The Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa. "Breathe" is currently my favorite track but I think they're all great and fit together well as an album. I can't wait to hear these songs on tour.

Did anybody else buy the box set version? It's worth every penny.(y)

Indy_Chic

It's a great album, I don't think it's going to come out of the cd player for a while! I've been listening to it all the time. I love all the songs and Magnificent is my favourite. :cool:

metalinvader

Indy_Chic said:
I love all the songs and Magnificent is my favourite. :cool:

Right on!(y)

I THINK this song just might replace Ultra Violet as my favorite U2 song.....

I may have to sit on this one though.:p

Morning Bell

I love how even the artwork has it's own themes. For instance, the packaging has an = sign, which could refer to the horizon or the Biblical reference "on earth as it is in heaven" and yet, after you remove the packaging, the sign disappears and there's suddenly "no line on the horizon." I love it.:)

Arab Swordsman

I was lucky enough to get an early copy when the Australian record website leaked it early so I've had it for a few weeks now. I think I love it the more I listen to it. I hated Boots the first time I heard it but now I think it's one of the best songs on the album and fits really well with the other songs. Magnificent is in a league of it's own but I also like NLOTH, Crazy, and Breathe. I can't wait to see them in concert although they don't have a Philly tour date set yet.

Gear

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being inspired by another artist or anything, but to me it's like Bono's trying to be the next Lennon, like the whole rooftop concert and such.

But I will say I enjoyed his version of I Am The Walrus, but other than that I haven't listened to much of his/their stuff

Joe Brody

Old, old U2 fan here. They're the greatest (I even support the Netherlands move), but I'm just not feeling it with the new stuff.

There's only been three or four good U2 songs since One

PS: And now that the Irish economy has tanked and the Troubles have appeared once again, I hope U2 blows the dust off Sunday Bloody Sunday and start singing that tune from the BBC rooftops. . . .

Last edited:

Deadlock

Joe Brody said:
Old, old U2 fan here. They're the greatest (I even support the Netherlands move), but I'm just not feeling it with the new stuff.

There's only been three or four good U2 songs since One

PS: And now that the Irish economy has tanked and the Troubles have appeared once again, I hope U2 blows the dust off Sunday Bloody Sunday and start singing that tune from the BBC rooftops. . . .

I hear you.

After a couple of listens, I think No Line is Zooropa, Part Deux. (Anybody else get a vaguely Johnny Cash vibe from White as Snow?) In other words, U2 likes to celebrate commercial success by being weird.

Though I'm still getting used to the new album, I can't help but feel that Original Soundtracks 1 casts it's jagged, ugly shadow across No Line.