Indy: The Musical

Indy Parise

This might become reality. It might not be a musical but i'm gonna asked the leader of my schools theatre co. if it can be done.

Indy Parise

Yeah but at least it will be a play. i've already started designing props and sets and all. It's actually more difficult than it looks. You have to remember every scene, then you have to draw out the sets in an overhead view to see where everything was, then you have to split it up into scenes and redraw the sets to fit on the stage. And then you have to write the script which could take hours.

Indyologist

Legally Blonde has one. Monty Python and the Holy Grail has one. Now even Spiderman and Sleepless in Seattle are going to have one. What do I mean? These movies are being made into musicals. With this recent news about Spidey and Sleeplss, I thought I'd bump this thread because I think that now, more than ever (especially with the KOTCS bomb), I'd like to see

Indy: The Musical (that is, a musical rendering of Raiders of the Lost Ark)

What do you think? How would you do it? What are some songs you would write for it and for what scenes? Who would you cast as the actors? Why not write/sing a song for Indy: The Musical (or just Indy for short) and post it here?

Hey, yeah!

I Don Quixote

When I think INDY and MUSICAL, I instantly think Man of La Mancha. You know, the story of Don Quixote? Now you couldn't use those songs in this musical, but something with that air of adventure to it. I'm no songwriter, but I'd be glad to write any dialogue, set-ups to songs, prologues, stuff like that. I'm just gonna have to think awhile.

kongisking

When I think INDY and MUSICAL, I think of two words:

Awe and Some.

I dunno, maybe I'm just loving musicals so much right now, after having just seen Rock of Ages (which, ahem, rocked by the way...)

This reminds me of an idea I once had about a musical version of Star Wars...:cool:

kongisking

I said:
Really? How would that go?

It's actually not that hard to picture, to my own surprise. In fact, it has many of the elements of a Disney musical:

Young character longing for something more than their usual life (Luke)

A theatrical and over-the-top archetype of villainy (Palpatine)

Comic sidekicks (Threepio and Artoo)

A princess in peril (Leia)

Clear-cut good guys and bad guys (Empire versus Rebel Alliance)

The main villain dying after falling from a great height (again, Palpatine)

Hell, Return of the Jedi even has a musical number in Jabba's Palace! (a cringe-worthy one, but a musical number nonetheless)

This is all probably owed to the fact that SW is more fairy tale than sci-fi in story terms, and Disney has long been known for its fairy tales.

I can't wait to hear Stoo AKA "Indy should have nothing to do with Disney!" react to this theory...

Indyologist

OhGodOhGodOhGod how I love this 'ol thread!!

Why, thank you.

This may sound silly, but this idea really amuses me. My goal is to see all of Raiders get done, though I don't want to do it all by myself. So, please feel free to pitch in. FYI, the truck scene is mine (and mostly done). "I feel gritty, oh so gritty..."

(Pale Horse, I know you're around here somewhere. You may be invisible now, but that's no excuse.) :)
"I feel gritty, oh so gritty, I feel gritty and sh*tty and sore..."

Yes, its a joke Luis my man.

By the way, Pale Horse and Deadlock - both awesome renditions :)
Welcome to the Raven, Intergamer! Watch for that blood on the floor! Oh, gee, you fell in it! S*it! You okay? Holding out hand...

Lights come up on half the stage, set as classroom. EATON and MUSGROVE are seated as INDY and MARCUS enter. (MUSIC comes up... "There is Nothing Like a Dame", from South Pacific)

Eaton and Musgrove:

We got a intercepted cable
It mentions Ravenwood
That Hitler is madman
So frankly this ain't good
He's got a hankering for relics
And we can't trust this bum
Can you help Doctor Jones
To beat this scum?

EATON and MUSGROVE exit. Indy starts throwing stuff in a suitcase.

Indy:

Hey Marcus, this is great!
A chance to find the Ark!
I'll try to find ol' Abner
I've got an idea where to start
What do mean 'be careful?'
You're sounding like my mum.
I'm always cautious
And I've packed my gun!

Marcus:
This is isn't anything like you've gone after before
Marion can't be a worry 'cause you'll have many more?

MARCUS exits. INDY puts on his fedora, and picks up his suitcase.

Indy:

I am headed to Nepal,
Halfway 'round the world,
If you think the world is small
You haven't ever been to Nepal!

INDY exits. Lights come up on other half of the stage, set as the crowded RAVEN BAR. MARION is sitting at table covered with empty shotglasses across from a CLIMBER, surrounded by the NEPALESE CHORUS.

Marion:

I'm in a crowd, drinking whiskey
I'm ready to pass out
That climber can't last this long
Who'd guess he was that stout?
I want to win the money
But I can't feel my feet?
Yes! There he goes?
That chump is beat!

Climber:
That Marion can knock 'em down, let me tell ya' brother
But there is absolutely no way whatsover
In any way shape or form I'd could drink another

Nepalese Chorus:
We are drinking in Nepal
Halfway 'round the world,
None of us can drive at all
But there ain't any cars in Nepal!

CLIMBER and NEPALESE CHORUS exit, as INDY enters.

Indy:

Marion I need that piece
Here's a wad of loot
I can say I'm sorry
I just need it before the Nazis!

TOHT and NAZI THUGS enter.

Toht:

Fraulein I need the same piece that Doctor Jones wanted

INDY runs around, fighting each NAZI THUG.

Nazi Thugs:

We've come to get the piece,
And we really like to fight
But that infernal Doctor
Has set this place alight
It's burning and it's smoky
And our men are getting hot
But that's a little better than being shot!

All:
Here we are in a brawl
At the Raven bar in Nepal!

It always snows in Nepal
There're no shows in Nepal
Who'd want to go Nepal?
Nobody likes it in Nepal
We had a job in Nepal
But it ended in a brawl
There ain't a reason but the Staff of Ra
Which Marion often has stuffed in her bra
Here in the flaming ruins of a bar in NEPAL!
Deadlock, you're NEW? Didn't you haunt this place before? If you are new, then welcome to the Raven. A loud **THUMP** as yet another drunk hits the floor as Marion downs the last shot, as usual. Singing: "DUM-DUM-DUM: ANOTHAONEBITESTHEDUST!"

Chanting now: GO MARION! GO MARION! GO GO GO GO MARION!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I've noticed Frank Marshall is frequently plugging on Twitter the upcoming Diana Broadway musical, not sure why. (It first comes to Netflix October 1.)

People attending an Indy musical would expect to see the main character swinging on stage, like Spider-Man or Tarzan... who bombed on Broadway. However, if all it takes is a couple of songs to qualify (like Beetlejuice), Raiders does. But would it be a jukebox musical of 1930s standards, or new songs in the style of that era like Young Frankenstein?

Indyologist

Hm, not sure Moedred. I should think it would perhaps be a send up to 1930's musicals, such as South Pacific or Anything Goes or something. Experimenting encouraged!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Here was some experimenting on stage: last year Frank Marshall directed an illusionist's virtual performances.
The Present will take place virtually via a secure online platform with a maximum of 25 participants per show. Each participant will be mailed a sealed mystery package in advance, the contents of which will only be revealed during the course of each performance, as the story unfolds.