Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb clips shown befor VGAs

00Kevin

Indyfan
well, I ching the VGAs on SPIKE TV (just started) and over the past 30 they have been showng clips of the great video games in the past 25 years.

when they got to the modern games, I very surprised and very pleased to see several clips of ET, and let me tell you, it's very good that we are getting recognition (there weren't even any bond games!)

well, cool to see indy still being noticed nowadays. this show is good, but don't expect any more indy clips :(

Tom Jones

Just the same, a few days ago when I was watching the nominations for the award show, there were several clips of Indy that were shown. Non-the less he still sadly wasn't nominated. :(

I suppose it shows Lucasarts is at least heading in the right direction with the Indy franchise.

nOOb

"I suppose it shows Lucasarts is at least heading in the right direction with the Indy franchise."

yeah, indy might only have 2 action games to his name, but at least theyre really good. tomb raider, on the other hand, i hear thats series has gone straight downhill. quantity over quality.
anyway...if an indy games gonna get nominated, its gonna have to be something innovative. i wonder if lucasarts got enough good feedback to consider making another game. i shall hope...

00Kevin

Indyfan
well, I think ET was too much of a 'trial' for lucasacts to be considered for something

if they come back within 1/2 years with a MASSIVE BLOODY GAME! We're talking HUGE! Like alot longer then ET, and with a Multiplayer, videos, Indy 4 previews....it will rock! I hope in 2 years, when indy mania is at it's peak, we see indy win an award in the VGAs...then in it's 3rd year!

nOOb

thats what im thinking! it could incorporate branching missions like in freedom fighters...deformable terrain like red faction (except you could do stuff like dig a tunnel to get to a previously unreachable place.) oh man theres a million things to do with it. i bet if we all put our heads together, make an entire game layout, storyline, and whatever, we could send it to lucasarts and maybe they'd make it. what do you think?

nOOb

lol, speaking of ToD, heres another idea for the game - rideable elephants! kinda like MoH rising sun but i dunno how that plays...

the next indy game needs a combination of IM and ET, i think. tomb's bare-fisted action and machines creepy abandoned tombs and drivable vehicles.

[Edited by nOOb on 12-04-2003 at 10:32 pm]

Tom Jones

I myself wouldn?t mind seeing Indy ride a horse in his new game. Kind of like in the Legend of Zelda, except not as cartoonish.

Maybe that could be how he gets from one place on the map to the other. He could ride his horse from a airport to a nearby town or dig site.

Oh . . . they could have him riding away from someone too, like what young Indy did at the beginning of Last Crusade! A lot of great action scenes could be made up with Indy just on a horse.

nOOb

yeah, a horse would be cool...or if it was cairo, camels. they could be rented from NPCs or something.

wow these are all good ideas, why hasnt lucasarts done anything like this yet? who thinks up the stuff for their games anyway?

Yolegoman

A horse WOULD be awesome...

Although, to get to the technical points of it:

I spend a whole lot of time over @ Brickfilms.com.

The first rule there is don't animate horses. Horses weren't meant to be animated!

The whole design of them is horrible to draw, animate, cartoon, or render.

So as cool as it would be, I doubt the technology (read patience) for that will be around any time soon. :(

nOOb

lord of the rings: thousands of CGI horses, right? thats gotta be harder to do then a few animated ones for a game...besides, dont they do horses in every other disney cartoon show?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I think it may have been John Ford that once said something like "the most beautiful subject on film is a galloping horse" (this quote is incredibly off, by the way, and I don't really feel like looking up the exact wording). If it doesn't look quite right, people won't like it.

Tom Jones

But then again if it does look great, the people would love it.

I think that in order to make this next Indy game really shine over its predecessors, Lucasarts needs to take a couple of chances in its development. Try new and different things, not just the same stuff seen in previous games with a fine polish slapped over it.