Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - initial impressions and casual discussion

Finn

Staff member
In favor of intelligent discussion and board coherence, this thread shall be used as the "all things KotCS" thread for the future week and a half or so.

If you're fresh off the theater and wish to announce your gay joyfulness to all the world, please do it here. Also all kinds of minor questions that about unclarities in the plot and similar little questions that might not warrant a new thread - please keep 'em here. Our aim is to keep most of the new stuff appearing on this section during the next couple of weeks in this baby.

If you wish to write a lengthier review or an analysis - please use this thread.

drwynn

My wife and I just returned from seeing the 4pm showing at the Paramount lot! And, despite what I would call (in my eyes) minor flaws...the film is excellent!

It is definitely closer in tone to "Crusade"...but, there are some great moments that feel very "Raiders", as well as "Temple".

I'm pretty emotionally exhausted, actually. So much anticipation and excitement...which was just bursting out of me for the last two hours!...So much to take in during one viewing. A slightly more complicated plot this time around in some ways; the "mystery" and "puzzle" was complicated in a lot of ways. I'm definitely going to see it a few more times this week...but, I can proudly and honestly say that...I'VE SEEN IT!

Last edited:

What Truck?

Jungle Chase

This is very subjective, obviously, but how does the jungle chase stack up compared to say, the Raider's truck chase or Crusade tank battle?

MattJones

I am gaily joyful with the world, but I haven't seen it yet. Can I still add to the conversation, Finn? ;)

drwynn

What Truck? said:
This is very subjective, obviously, but how does the jungle chase stack up compared to say, the Raider's truck chase or Crusade tank battle?

Do you want me to get into real specifics? Because I can...

but, having said that, I would say that it definitely ranks (in my eyes) higher than the tank battle. Not as great as the truck chase to me...but, it's definitely more over the top than either of the previous sequences.

There's one scene in particular that I think will have some fans rolling their eyes and straining to "believe"...but, to me it was just a great tribute to the serials that inspired the series to begin with.

Indy4fan

drwynn said:
Do you want me to get into real specifics? Because I can...

but, having said that, I would say that it definitely ranks (in my eyes) higher than the tank battle. Not as great as the truck chase to me...but, it's definitely more over the top than either of the previous sequences.

There's one scene in particular that I think will have some fans rolling their eyes and straining to "believe"...but, to me it was just a great tribute to the serials that inspired the series to begin with.
I'm guessing it's the waterfall scene.

Texas

How does the Indy-Dovchenko brawl compare to Indy's fights with the German Mechanic and Giant Thuggee?

drwynn

Indy4fan said:
I'm guessing it's the waterfall scene.

Well, no...that scene strains credibility...but, in a good Indy-esque way. A la the plane escape from "Temple of Doom".

The scene I'm talking about involves Mutt directly.

sandiegojones

drwynn said:
Well, no...that scene strains credibility...but, in a good Indy-esque way. A la the plane escape from "Temple of Doom".

The scene I'm talking about involves Mutt directly.
The tarzan monkey thing?

drwynn

Texas said:
How does the Indy-Dovchenko brawl compare to Indy's fights with the German Mechanic and Giant Thuggee?

I loved the Dovchenko/Indy brawl. The fight choreography was great...and there are some classic Indy moments during the fight...especially in regards to how he gets the upper hand!

drwynn

sandiegojones said:
The tarzan monkey thing?

Yup. I personally didn't have that big a problem with it because it seemed to me that they were just winking at the serials like "Tarzan", "The Perils of Pauline", etc. But, I can see how people wouldn't like that scene.

Indy4fan

drwynn said:
Yup. I personally didn't have that big a problem with it because it seemed to me that they were just winking at the serials like "Tarzan", "The Perils of Pauline", etc. But, I can see how people wouldn't like that scene.

Out of 10 what's your KOTCS rating?

What Truck?

B + eh?

A fitting score for a b-movie, wouldn't you say?

I have several more questions, if it's not too much trouble:

1. Is the opening action sequence directly tied to the main plot, or more of a separate adventure?

2. What is the Indy/Mutt action ratio?

3. Is the sawblade cutting through the truck part of the jungle chase, or a separate sequence?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions, by the way!:whip:

drwynn

What Truck? said:
1. Is the opening action sequence directly tied to the main plot, or more of a separate adventure?

2. What is the Indy/Mutt action ratio?

3. Is the sawblade cutting through the truck part of the jungle chase, or a separate sequence?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions, by the way!:whip:

Yes, the opening action sequence is directly related to the main plot. It feels like a separate adventure in a way, though, because of how Indy and Mac are introduced.

There's definitely more Indy action just because he's in the film from start to finish. But, Mutt gets his fair share of heroics during the "meat" of the film.

The sawblade cutting through multiple vehicles is actually sort of what starts the entire sequence.

My pleasure to answer any questions!

drwynn

You mean by previous characters? No. None at all. Just a photo of Henry Jones, Sr., a painting, statue, and photo of Marcus Brody.