Which Wine to whine about . . .

Pale Horse

Staff member
I understand balling and racking are also a part of the winemaking process. Now where will I find a fining agent to help me with this process?

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
I understand balling and racking are also a part of the winemaking process. Now where will I find a fining agent to help me with this process?

it is all about fish guts (Sturgeon Bladders really).

Pale Horse

Staff member
BevMo's $.05 sale! (for the domestic consumers, sorry)

Anyone got some good recommendations? Vine Cliff Cab?

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
BevMo's $.05 sale! (for the domestic consumers, sorry)

Anyone got some good recommendations? Vine Cliff Cab?

Careful, If I am not mistaken, Last week vine cliff cab was 39.99 a bottle, not it is 69.99, coincedence I think not. . .

Look for Vare Bianco
a great wine!

roundshort

Pale, you are off the wagon, what would you drink if you could drink any bottle?
That goes for anyone, you can chose any bottle of wine, what would it be and where from?

james2094

Rather then Wine....

I would go for vodka. Feijoa flavoured by 42 Below or if making a cocktail then Manuka Honey or Kiwi flavoured. Awesome.

But if you really want to know what wine. A fruity Pinot Noir from Otago. :p

roundshort

Very nice, good pick on the Kiwi PN, I like North Island a bit more, but I think as they work on higher altitude plantings in Otago that will be the best area for PN in New Zealand!

Thanks!

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
Pale, you are off the wagon, what would you drink if you could drink any bottle?
That goes for anyone, you can chose any bottle of wine, what would it be and where from?

I am, and am ramping up to be fully pickled by the end of summer. Opus One, 2002 would be nice. I had it on a Cruise a few years back, more nostalgic then anything. Maybe for kicks I would try a Chateau Mouton Rothschild, but now were just talking silly talk. My tongue is not quite ready for that.

roundshort

ummmm Mouton, the power. You can find comparatively good value on the '02 vintage, which I really like. The '03 cost too much and are falling apart, the 04 was totally overpriced for the quality and the '05, well that is just silly talk!

Pale Horse

Staff member
I'll put you on the spot: Summer afternoon, 3 meat (chicken pork shrimp) shish-kabobs in two traditional flavors, southwest and teriyaki; pasta salad; mint-lime lemonaide and passion fruit sun tea and finished with a raspberry tort......what wine would you serve, or better yet, how many different bottles will I need to provide?

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
I'll put you on the spot: Summer afternoon, 3 meat (chicken pork shrimp) shish-kabobs in two traditional flavors, southwest and teriyaki; pasta salad; mint-lime lemonaide and passion fruit sun tea and finished with a raspberry tort......what wine would you serve, or better yet, how many different bottles will I need to provide?

Any time I get a question like this I will run and hide behind good old Riesling. Something like a qba as they are usually a better price that Spatlesse, but still has a nice residual sugar.

I like Rose this time of year with shish-kabobs. Look for a nice shade of Pink to rose (stay away from Salmon colored Rose. Fisher makes the bost I have ever had, but Pax, Miner, Solorosa make great also, as well as the great rose from Navarra Spain and South France (try to stay in the 10 to 15 buck price range for Rose)

Some Sauvignon blanc might work, but better to stay away form. Something a little different like a Torrontes from Argentina, Susan Balbo is great!

Look at some new (1 to 2 years old max) of Albarino from Rias Baixs Spain.

These are fun, light whites that shoudl all work!

Deadlock

Hey roundshort... I recently spent a week in an Italian villa that produced it's own Chianti Classico (grapes grown onsite, processed elsewhere): Il Tarocco.

Classico99sm.jpg

After spending some time with the owner (and drinking the Villa's wine for a week), I can't seem to bring myself to drink any of the cheap reds I drank pre-Italy. :)

Can you suggest a worthy red to wean myself onto?

roundshort

Sounds like a great time DL!

Ah the Chianti bug. It will be hard you to drink heavy extracted reds with high (15% and up) alcohol levels. I like Chianti's that have a nice bright red center with a brick hue around the edges. They always have fruit flavors of red cherry, red plum, red apple skins (a lot of nice tart fruit flavors) but also with some darker fruit, like black plums and even a little bit of allspice (depending on if the producer uses oak or not.

Lucky for you, if you have to be bitten by the fine wine bug, Chianti is not a bad way to go. The wines, while not inexpensive, are a relatively good buy compared to classified Bordeaux, Burgundy, any my own Napa cabs.

i recommend you stick with great Chiantis, try some different classicos, ruffinas, etc. Alos check out some Cotes du Rhone wines form the southern Rhone and even some gigondas.

Italy has a million great wine regions form as many different grapes. Go up north in Piedmont and try some Dolcettos, Barbaras, etc. Stay away form the 2002 vintage in these regions though. Look for the 99 to 01 vintages. Be careful of the 2003. With the massive heat wave many wines in Europe had high sugar levels and were not well made and will die an early death in bottle.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I want gutsy, I had a hard time finding your recommendations at the Bev Mo store I go to, they really let me down. I left and went to my local "la Bodega" and got an Edna Rose, and Canyon Road 2005 Sauvignon Blanc, and I got to tell you, the Canyon Road, was AMAZING. The rose, not so much, and no one liked it.

As it were, I knew I was in trouble when some guests came in, and asked for a beverage, and said "I don't care, as long as it's red". I wanted to bleed in a cup for them, no culture, no taste.

I wasted a Griffen Cabernet Franc, and a Ravenwood Zin on those tongues. Oh well, three bottles of the Sauvignon left over, I call it a wash.

roundshort

Glad you found a new wine you liked! A word of advice,

"Sharing your best wines will always repay you handsomely"

Going to Napa Rose anytime soon?

Pale Horse

Staff member
I think my birthday week might be a good bet. Perhaps the Sat. following? Depends a good deal on Jr. and how "civil" he could be. We've ate out once so far.....

P.S. I meant to say I "WENT" gutsy, as in I didn't follow your recommendation to the 'T'...I hope you understand....

Joe Brody

Deadlock said:
Hey roundshort... I recently spent a week in an Italian villa that produced it's own Chianti Classico (grapes grown onsite, processed elsewhere): Il Tarocco.

Classico99sm.jpg

After spending some time with the owner (and drinking the Villa's wine for a week), I can't seem to bring myself to drink any of the cheap reds I drank pre-Italy. :)

Can you suggest a worthy red to wean myself onto?

[bitterly jealous]Whoa back-up here. You brought the family to a wine vacation in Italy? At least tell me you did some biking.

[As for drinking fine wine, the worst thing in the world is to spend time with someone like roundshort.]

Deadlock

Well, it was a family vacation. But we left the munchkins with grandparents. (y)

Instead, I was there with my parents and siblings in a renovated villa about 40 minutes outside of Florence.

I confess that I didn't do any biking, but I did do a lot of walking. The town of Lucca was our favorite place. With a complete Renaissance-era wall all the way around it (with a nice road on top) that would've been a great place to bike. (Though walking was more than acceptable.)