Retiring my Akubra Federation...alas

Tennessee R

It's been a while since I've been on here.
I have the Akubra Federation IV. I chose the standard, because I have never found a post of anyone saying they were happy with the quality difference of the Deluxe.

Globetrotting this past summer and fall (work and play) in Israel, Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland, and South France.... I formed a hole in the front pinch on the bash. I am very disappointed that I didn't take better care, but it did go through a LOT before forming the hole.

I've had it for years (Probably do a back search here and find out when) and it has been to Israel on my archaeological digs many times. I have never been easy with it. It has gotten crushed in the overhead bins occasionally, handled roughly, rained on, in the dirt, smashed under several large pieces of luggage, and most recently, wadded into a bag several times.

It's a sad day, because there is no real way I know of to repair it....
I've tried a little superglue, but it just won't take well, and the slight darkening makes it even worse.
A hat with a hole is different from just a "beat up" hat. It has entered into "hobo" territory.

Oh well, I guess it is time to retire it. I had hoped that in the Australian economy the price would have gone down slightly, but it appears that the American economy is doing a good job of falling at the same time ha ;)

I'm looking into getting another Federation... I would love to have Beaver fur, but ugh, is it worth it.... Anyone got a size 58 - 7 1/4 that they want to sell for a ridiculously low price? :D Ah, never mind. I would also like a charcoal fedora as well, as it seems that the fedora is going to be coming back in fashion over the next year or two.

Tennessee R

And I found my post from 2006....It seems that inflation is paying it's toll... Fedora with standard shipping now runs much more than what I paid.

------------------7-9-2006--------------------
"I ordered the Akubra Federation Regular, Tuesday (I think).
I got the $35 USD shipping, (the next to fastest), and ended up with something like a $104 bill."

Mickiana

That was cheap! I hope you're not throwing the old one away?! And a mere hole... Surely there is a hatter somewhere who can fix it, unless of course the rest of it is too far gone? I've got a Fed Deluxe and a Penman Raiders and I love 'em both. If I ever wore them out completely I'd just put them in a museum (my own modest one at home, of course).:hat:

davidraphael

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a fedora with a hole in the pinch!...

I mean, Johnny Depp is never seen without one!

johnny-depp-johnny-depp-8139004-640-633.jpg

a_250x375.jpg

deppHat564669.jpg

SNN1903JD--280-_1312835a.jpg