Wested Bullwhip

Drones33

Anybody got the Wested Bullwhip? I'd be interested to know if it's any good. The Todds whips look great but to be honest I'm reluctant to fork out an extra fifty quid or so for shipping from the states.

Goodeknight

I read this about the Wested whips from CairoDust over at The Indy Lounge:

I have seen these whips. Don't buy one. They are the same level of quality as the Jrzjoe.
The fallhitch is wrong. The handle plait is wrong. The knots are wrong.
The best bang for your buck is CNC imo. A good quality, cowhide Raiders 8ft for $265, but it is completely worth it. Yes it is a lot more than the Wested whip but the wested whip serves the same purpose as a Todd's. A costume whip. Todd's captures the look a lot better than the wested whip.

Based on the pics, I'd say the Wested looks like a terrible whip.

As far as Todd's, I've heard they were more for show, and not meant for heavy use. More "costume," though their websites says (repeatedly) they're "real" whips. Judging by those pics, looks like a much better whip in general, and much more screen accurate than the Wested. People who own Todd's seem to be pretty happy with them, and say they crack pretty well. Not as heavy duty as something 3x the price.

Just my opinion.

I personally have a 10' Joe Strain. My advice is save up and get something great. It'll become a family heirloom, not just a piece of a costume.

Drones33

Thanks for the sound advice. You are of course absolutely right. I don't want a costume whip, any more than I'd want a toy one I suppose. And now that I think about it, I firmly believe it's worth investing the cash into something you're going to love, so that is what I shall do. :)

S. Dakota Jones

Goodeknight said:
I read this about the Wested whips from CairoDust over at The Indy Lounge:

I have seen these whips. Don't buy one. They are the same level of quality as the Jrzjoe.
The fallhitch is wrong. The handle plait is wrong. The knots are wrong.
The best bang for your buck is CNC imo. A good quality, cowhide Raiders 8ft for $265, but it is completely worth it. Yes it is a lot more than the Wested whip but the wested whip serves the same purpose as a Todd's. A costume whip. Todd's captures the look a lot better than the wested whip.

Based on the pics, I'd say the Wested looks like a terrible whip.

As far as Todd's, I've heard they were more for show, and not meant for heavy use. More "costume," though their websites says (repeatedly) they're "real" whips. Judging by those pics, looks like a much better whip in general, and much more screen accurate than the Wested. People who own Todd's seem to be pretty happy with them, and say they crack pretty well. Not as heavy duty as something 3x the price.

Just my opinion.

I personally have a 10' Joe Strain. My advice is save up and get something great. It'll become a family heirloom, not just a piece of a costume.

I agree completely. Especially if you find out you really like to crack it like I did lol, you'll find the money was well spent on a great whip rather than breaking a lower quality one and then you enough up getting a more expensive one anyways.