TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Video Games
User Name
Password

Old 07-13-2003, 06:09 PM   #1
Goodsport
IndyFan

Question

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Yes, I realize that there's another Indy vs. Lara thread, although that one is more of a discussion on who would win in a fight between those two (although I totally agree with Broomhandle Davis in that thread about the absurdity of that question, since although Indy and Lara may either cooperate or compete with each other, they certainly wouldn't fight each other).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp My question is specifically for the two games listed in the title of the thread. I'm still playing Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb and am having a blast, but I have yet to play the recently-released Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness. Has anyone here played it yet, and if so, would you recommend it? What are the similarities and differences between the two games? And considering (from what little I've heard of it) that the latest Lara Croft game involves more stealth than previous Tomb Raider games, should it instead be compared more to Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Thanks!

-G

Goodsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 09:14 PM   #2
Goodsport
IndyFan

Question

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Anyone?

Old 07-14-2003, 08:21 AM   #3
Kumba

Oh, I think I might rent it this week. I'm not a huge fan of Lara Croft, but I did enjoy playing Tomb Raider II, since us Indy fans didn't have that many Indy games to play. It was actually a really nice time. Ahh, I can remember it now; it was the beginning of seventh grade, and the weather was very fine. I read about Infernal Machine in a magazine, and instantly became obsessed, but why? I had never seen the Indy movies before (except when I was like 1, but I didn't remember anything about the movies). I then proceeded to get TRII for the playstation, and that kept me happy, until that day in December when I got Infernal Machine. It was 1999 as I recall. Wonderful game. May it rest in peace....
Kumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 06:25 PM   #4
Goodsport
IndyFan

Question

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp So you think that I should buy the latest Tomb Raider game or not?

-G

Old 07-14-2003, 08:00 PM   #5
Arclam
IndyFan

I would rent it. It is suppoded to be horrible. I hear that it is buggy, frame rate problems, long load times, and has bad controls. ( Sounds like PS2 version of ET with even more problems.) If I can get to my friends sometime, I will see how it is. He owns every tomb raider game. I am sure he has this one.
Arclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 10:33 AM   #6
Kumba

Yeah, I'd definetly rent it. Take me for instance; there's this game called "The Getaway" for the PS2. There seems to be some problems with the game, so I thought I'd rent it. You don't want to waste $50 on a game.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:32 PM   #7
Goodsport
IndyFan

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Thanks for the advice, Kumba and Arclam!

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It's a shame that the latest Tomb Raider game doesn't seem to be that good - I was really looking forward to seeing her be more stealthy than she was in previous games.

-G

Old 07-16-2003, 11:00 PM   #8
Finn

Indy ET vs. TR II... (you got me, part I is five episodes long )

Gotta admit... ET won this one, after all.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 11:54 PM   #9
Kumba

Well, there's one thing the TR games will always have: length. ET is too short. IM was about mid-length. FoA, well, I guess it depended on what path, but it didn't take all that long to beat either. I think the reason the TR games are so lenghty is because they're a lot harder. I actually hate to admit it but I never beat TR II, or any TR games for that matter. However, I got very far in TR II, which like I said earlier was my fav. I think if you're an Indy fan, you should definetly check out a TR game. Not necessarily the Angel of Darkness, but perhaps The Last Revelation (and if you're thinking it's like LC, you're right! You play as young Lara! lol). Another small tidbit, but none-the-less interesting, is that originally the TR character was going to be male, and bared a striking resemblence to Indiana Jones! How do I know this? I'll tell ya! I have the Tomb Raider movie on DVD and there's a special feature that talks about the games. This original male character wore a fedora and khakis. The only thing missing was a whip! and later on a law suit! haha
Old 07-17-2003, 02:59 PM   #10
Patrick
IndyFan

I love it when I find a game like that fo only like $14. That's how I got IM. I'm gonna get all of the old Tomb Raiders since I really liked IM. I don't know why people were hating IM for its "Fun" value I enjoyedd it but it could've used a little more "Indy Feel"
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 08:51 AM   #11
Kumba

Yeah, IM actually made you think, unlike SOME games. Also, I like IM's story much much better. For some reason it seems that every single game made these days has to have some part of the game take place in Japan or China. Who cares about those commies or those 'sandle-wearing goldfish tenders'!
Old 07-18-2003, 01:05 PM   #12
omega5ooo
IndyFan

Let's face it. AoD has interactive dialogues and a 2nd playable character.

Though I heard it has a lot of heavy bugs. So... Let's call it a tie.

[Edited by omega5ooo on 07-18-2003 at 02:40 pm]
omega5ooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 01:54 PM   #13
omega5ooo
IndyFan

BTW... go here http://www.gamesweb.com and look at the movie box in the upper right. You should see a movie about the game, if not, click on a link until it does appear... Now look at it. Two times a Pa-Cheng like thing appears. Four sharp "knifes" are sticking out of it instead of three, still it looks very very similar. One time it's held by Lara and another time by that other playable character, it's glowing then. Also Lara and that guy have to fight "Homonculousess" Now if that isn't a rip-off!!!

[Edited by omega5ooo on 07-18-2003 at 02:56 pm]
omega5ooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 04:41 PM   #14
Yolegoman
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally posted by omega5ooo
BTW... go here http://www.gamesweb.com and look at the movie box in the upper right. You should see a movie about the game, if not, click on a link until it does appear... Now look at it. Two times a Pa-Cheng like thing appears. Four sharp "knifes" are sticking out of it instead of three, still it looks very very similar. One time it's held by Lara and another time by that other playable character, it's glowing then. Also Lara and that guy have to fight "Homonculousess" Now if that isn't a rip-off!!!

[Edited by omega5ooo on 07-18-2003 at 02:56 pm]

LET'S SUE!

For a penny I'd shoot there cheap hides...

Lol.

Yolegoman
Yolegoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 02:08 PM   #15
indy148
IndyFan

It seems that everyone says that the Controls for ET stink. Well, compared to TombRaider's Controld, they RULE!!!
indy148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 04:46 PM   #16
Patrick
IndyFan

Why do they make the controls so hard. IM's were controls I'd never seen before for a game with that many moves and stuff! all they should've done is add another action key like put "z" and "c" as the fight keys, have "x" the jump key "space" the draw,"s" to roll and "d" for activate? It's not that hard to do that... They could at least let you edit the controls!
Old 07-30-2003, 12:34 PM   #17
Patrick
IndyFan

The LR is almost exactly the same compared to LC for where I am. Aziz is like Donavon and stuff. I like that.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:19 PM   #18
Goodsport
IndyFan

Question

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Can a gamepad be used for the PC version of either game instead of the keyboard?

-G

Old 10-12-2003, 12:38 AM   #19
Finn

Oh, that's easy.
All you need is a little modified PS2/XBox controller which you insert in the keyboard port when starting to play the game and off you go.

If this sounds odd, use Googgeli to dig up more information...
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 08:51 PM   #20
Goodsport
IndyFan

Question

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Actually, I just got the Logitech Dual Action Gamepad (which seems to have done wonders for the gameplay of my sports games on my PC ).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I'll try it out with Emperor's Tomb - anyone here tried both keyboard and gamepad with the game? If so, which do you prefer?

-G

Old 10-12-2003, 10:48 PM   #21
Aaron H
Moderator Emeritus

Gamepad, by far!
Not that I've beaten the game yet (just don't have much time anymore, between two jobs, four college courses, a drama troupe, and TRN, I barely sleep much less play any games.)
Aaron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 11:11 PM   #22
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

Here's my feelings on the Indy Vs Lara thing--

Both games are a disappointment.
On paper, Angel of Darkness wins easily. It's a far more ambitious project. You get to develop your skills over time, you can play a second character, it has dialogue interations interspersed with the action, and a epic storyline that would spread across several sequels. In execution, it's pitiful and full of bugs. A big letdown.

Emperor's Tomb doesn't have such high aspirations, and so it doesn't fall as short. It aims to be nothing more than a 3D action/ beat 'em up/ adventure. No plot depth, nothing particularly ground-breaking or intriquing, and that's fine. The problem I've had is with the controls and the inability to save anywhere. Granted, I've only played the demo, but I'm sure the controls are the same in the real game, and I find them infuriating. I MUCH preferred Infernal Machine's controls, even if they were a bit sluggish.

For my money, the best Indy-style game out there is "Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation." It's huge, has great puzzles, decent graphics, good atmosphere, and although the plot is relatively simple, it's interesting enough to make you want to keep playing.
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 07:53 PM   #23
Goodsport
IndyFan

Question

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Thanks for the info, everyone!

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I've also recently upgraded my videocard and soundcard, so along with my new gamepad, I'll most likely have a somewhat different experience with Emperor's Tomb (which will hopefully prepare me for the arrival of the Indy DVD's next week).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp By the way, has there lately been a patch for Angel of Darkness that has fixed most (or all) of its bugs?

-G