Heads up: AMC Marathon swag

Crack that whip

I just mentioned all this over in another thread, but since it's collectibles-related I though I'd give it its own post here:

Crack that whip said:
I just got back from my eighth and final viewing of Raiders of the Lost Ark in its IMAX release, and noticed the theater employees were getting ready for the marathon; I saw some of the materials and got some other information. In case anyone here is still on the fence about whether to go or not (heathens!) and letting the decision rest on the goodies, here's what I know:

First of all, the free poster is not simply the IMAX Raiders mini-poster (though at least at mine, they still have enough left of those that I imagine most or all marathon attendees will be able to get one of those, too). They had the marathon posters out and were rolling them up and putting rubber bands on them, apparently to be handed out one at a time (I plan to bring a poster tube to put mine in immediately). These are larger posters, about the size of one-sheets (27x40) - I'm not sure if they are in fact that exact size, but they're comparable - and the artwork is the cover art for the Blu-ray release (with the classic Amsel Raiders reissue illustration's central figure of Indy, surrounded by new art of most of the important supporting characters). There's very little text - no credits or anything like that to speak of, just the classic Indiana Jones logo emblazoned across the image.

Secondly, the tag on the lanyard is a cut-out image of the Chachapoyan fertility idol on the front, with the marathon info on the back.

And finally, before / between the movies, there will be trivia questions! They did this at the Avengers marathon I attended back in May, and it worked like this. During some of the breaks, shortly before the next movie began, a couple theater employees would come into the auditorium and ask (fairly basic) trivia questions, and then call on one of the many attendees who shot their hands up to answer; if they had the correct answers (which the first respondents almost always did - as noted, the questions were pretty easy), they'd be awarded some merchandise - generally Avengers collectibles of negligible value but nifty all the same, but at least one or two winners simply got free food from the theater - (a prize that probably doesn't sound particularly exciting right now, though I can report that after several hours of sitting on our collective butts in the theater, the people who got the food were actually pretty jazzed about it, and many other patrons made exclamations of envy :p ). IIRC, the swag included Avengers movie posters, Captain America dog tags, actual Avengers comics, etc.

I don't know how many Indy freebies will actually be given out or what they'll be, but at least the opportunity is there for a few of us to get a little more than just what's already been promised.

Crack that whip

Erm... I didn't notice it, really, but I think it was just an ordinary black cord. The tag is the special part.

Of course, if I'm wrong, we'll find out tomorrow... :hat:

JediJones

I saw this note on the Fandango web site. Is there a specially printed ticket for this or do they just mean the poster and the lanyard? Just wondering if I lose anything by buying the ticket online instead of in person.

Rediscover the complete adventure with all four films back to back on the big screen. Each ticket is a rare and remarkable treasure and each includes $5 AMC Stubs Bonus Bucks and a FREE limited edition poster and lanyard at the event.

Crack that whip

I strongly doubt there's a "special" ticket; it seems to me that if there were one, and it were being advertised on Fandango, then online purchases would get it, since there's no reason for Fandango to promote buying tickets in person rather than online. I think the tickets are "special treasures" because they let you see all four Indiana Jones movies back to back, and get you posters and lanyards on top of that.

;)

That said, I haven't actually checked, so if you're still concerned you might want to ask your local theater. But I don't believe it's an issue - the lanyard tag is itself pretty much the equivalent of a special commemorative ticket, anyway.

Zucot

Anyone on the east coast wanna tell me what the final trivia question is?

We just finished Last Crusade in San Francisco. Just looking for any edge I can get.

So far the questions were

What is Indy afraid of
What is Indy's birthday
Who gave Indy his hat
What is Indy's full name

Prizes were:

A 1983 comic
A tshirt
A Lego keychain
A deck of cards

Were the prizes/questions the same at every show?

Zucot

The last question was, how did Indy get the scar on his chin.

The prize was the blu ray box set.

Goodeknight

They had completely different questions at the AMC where I saw it. I did see them flipping thru a few pages of questions, picking which ones they wanted to ask. So AMC probably had a master set of questions. Same prizes, minus the keychain.

We only had about 100 people at the event, and I did do a round of trivia questions. Knew the answers but kept getting beaten by a guy who was a fast draw at raising his hand. Such is life, but I still walked away with something cool besides the giveaways everyone got.

I went in partial gear with my son. He wore a NY Giants/Yankees hat like Shorty, and I wore fedora, whip, khaki shirt, close enough slacks. Left the jacket and bag at home. Gets cumbersome. Got a lot of happy smiles, questions, and compliments. AND, they gave me the foam core poster/standee for the marathon event. Stands about six feet tall, and will make an awesome addition to the Indy collection. :whip:

digitalfreaknyc

This is what the lanyard looked like:
303156_435300219855864_307304803_n.jpg

On the backs of each were the times that the films started, approximately.

There were two different posters available as well.

Crack that whip

They had those same questions, and largely the same prizes. At ours, one of those standees for the marathon was itself one of the prizes; I put up a valiant struggle, trying to get them to call on me when the first respondent was able to identify part of Indy's birthday but not the year. Some strangers near me who'd overheard me talking to my girlfriend kept saying the employees should call on me for the question (and I said out loud I could give them the date, month and year of Indy's birth, along with the birthplace, his full birth name including the middle name and the full names of both his parents, etc. :p ), but in the end they wound up letting it go to him. Ah, well.

Aside from the "general issue" swag, I did win a t-shirt with the Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull logo.

In the past few days I'd gently but persistently inquired about some of the various promotional materials for both the marathon and the IMAX Raiders screenings, hoping to get the standee (before I knew it was going to be a prize) and some (or all!) of the various posters, but it appears most of the stuff the theater actually used got claimed by theater employees. I'm still holding out hope for the marathon one-sheet, since it was still up when I left, but I'm not wildly optimistic (but I left my info, just in case!).

InexorableTash

My son won the "gimme" trivia question ("What is Indy afraid of?") and got Issue #1 of The Further Adventures comic!

A later question fostered amusement and debate in the room and a confused AMC manager: "Who gave Indy his fedora?" "Fedora." "Yes, who gave it to him?" "Fedora!" Somebody piped up with a detailed answer and hit whatever magic words she was looking for; the original answerer got a prize too.

Zucot said:
The last question was, how did Indy get the scar on his chin?

I used this as an opportunity to stand up and invite folks to learn to crack whips safely at Bullwhips by the Bay in SF. :)

Zucot

InexorableTash said:
I used this as an opportunity to stand up and invite folks to learn to crack whips safely at Bullwhips by the Bay in SF. :)

Nice. By the way, who did the intro for KOTCS? I had to leave before it started.

russds

Sad i missed it. What was the time frame like,when did each movie start? Where there breaks between movies for food/bathroom, etc? Just curious.

Goodeknight

russds said:
Sad i missed it. What was the time frame like,when did each movie start? Where there breaks between movies for food/bathroom, etc? Just curious.

Terribly sorry to hear you missed it. The lanyards have the schedules on back.
Raiders at 10:30
TOD 12:45
LC 3:05
CS 5:35

Right around 20-25 minutes or so between each movie. Enough time to hit the head, and grab a snack. Had the theater been packed it would have been a pain. Would have had lines in the restrooms and at the counter, and people climbing over each other 5 minutes after each movie started. As it was with a small but decent turnout, everyone had time.

Incidentally, I had been thinking I would hang my lanyard up at work. But I don't think a gold fertility idol grimacing and birthin' a little gold baby would add to my decor.

Henry W Jones

The theater I saw it in did no trivia, one poster and at first they were gonna make us give the lanyards back after the show. Before the show started they said it was a misunderstanding and we could keep them. Enjoyed seeing all of them on the big screen again. What a treat.

JediJones

At ours they asked each person to answer 3 trivia questions correctly to win a prize during each intermission. First prize was a t-shirt, second was an old Marvel comic book and a Lego keychain, and third was the Blu-ray set. I finally got called on for the last round, but one of the questions was the only one of the 9 asked that I didn't know, Indy's birthday. Every other question was based on the films, which I know very well, but I don't care about the "expanded Indy universe" stuff and had no idea his birthday was ever stated anywhere.

Crack that whip

JediJones said:
At ours they asked each person to answer 3 trivia questions correctly to win a prize during each intermission. First prize was a t-shirt, second was an old Marvel comic book and a Lego keychain, and third was the Blu-ray set. I finally got called on for the last round, but one of the questions was the only one of the 9 asked that I didn't know, Indy's birthday. Every other question was based on the films, which I know very well, but I don't care about the "expanded Indy universe" stuff and had no idea his birthday was ever stated anywhere.

Ahhhh, see? That's why you need to watch the show! :p ;)

I personally don't consider it "expanded universe" stuff, since it's an actual filmed, screen production by Lucasfilm; it's certainly a "higher" level of canon than the books, comics, etc., at the very least, and events from the show are even explicitly referenced in the fourth movie. It also boasts the participation of a slew of people from the film series.

Anyway, Indy was born July 1, 1899. At my marathon, as I noted, the first person they called on got the month and date right (July First), but at first he didn't even mention the year, and then when they asked him what year he guessed and got it wrong; they then conferred and discussed for several minutes (!) whether or not to give it to him, all while I kept my arm wayyy up just waiting for them to decide to call on someone else, and others (complete strangers!) in the audience around me were even pointing at me and saying "ask this guy!" Alas, it was not to be. In fairness, though, I'd gotten the first Indy-related prize (non-food prize) they'd given out (the KotCS t-shirt), and perhaps they just wanted to spread the prizes around, which I can totally understand.

HenryJunior

Anyone not like that the lanyard kinda had that cheap, blown up, pixelated look though? Still cool, but it looked like they digitally enlarged a smaller picture of the Idol.

Goodeknight

HenryJunior said:
Anyone not like that the lanyard kinda had that cheap, blown up, pixelated look though? Still cool, but it looked like they digitally enlarged a smaller picture of the Idol.

As I indicated before, I just find the who concept of a gold fertility idol necklace a bit odd, and rather humorous if you step back and really consider it. I mean, look at it!

Staff of Ra headpiece would have made a nice one. Hat and whip logo would have been good. Picture of Indy, like the marathon/Raiders poster. Coiled whip. All would have been good. The birthin' gold idol is just sorta' wierd...