How did Sallah know about Marion's death?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Walecs said:
What title says. Where does he get that information?

That's a great question considering:
493.jpg

Crack that whip

I assume the OP is referring to her apparent death in the explosion of the truck in Cairo (later revealed to have survived via a basket switch). If so, it's a reasonable question, but I think there would have been enough talk and info flying around for Sallah to reach the same terrible but mistaken conclusion on his own - surely the exploding truck (and all the preceding hijinks) got noticed by no small number of people in the streets, after all.

Gear

Crack that whip said:
I think there would have been enough talk and info flying around for Sallah to reach the same terrible but mistaken conclusion on his own - surely the exploding truck (and all the preceding hijinks) got noticed by no small number of people in the streets, after all.

Exactly, especially considering Indy and Marion stood out amongst the crowds.

[translated] '... And then this cowboy started whipping at these men, and the naked-faced woman was grabbed and taken away!' ... or something like that, I'd imagine.

Sallah was at least bro-enough not to bring Marion up during the events of Last Crusade. Don't cross the seal of the Bro Code.

Henry W Jones

Gear said:
Exactly, especially considering Indy and Marion stood out amongst the crowds.

[translated] '... And then this cowboy started whipping at these men, and the naked-faced woman was grabbed and taken away!' ... or something like that, I'd imagine.

Sallah was at least bro-enough not to bring Marion up during the events of Last Crusade. Don't cross the seal of the Bro Code.

Who's to say if Sallah had seen Indy on the in between or not. Maybe they discussed it at length at another time. We only see parts of their lives in the films.

Mickiana

It seemed to me that Sallah had not seen Indy since Marion's apparent death. Thinking about it now, it seems Sallah, who would be well known in Cairo, would have been well connected to the 'street telegraph'. But the info that he received was the same wrong info that Indy supposed was the truth. He also knew enough (I am presuming from the same street telegraph) to know Indy was in trouble in the tavern with Belloq and quickly improvised his rescue plan. Like Marcus, his character was imbued with intelligence, wit and wisdom.

Henry W Jones

Mickiana said:
It seemed to me that Sallah had not seen Indy since Marion's apparent death. Thinking about it now, it seems Sallah, who would be well known in Cairo, would have been well connected to the 'street telegraph'. But the info that he received was the same wrong info that Indy supposed was the truth. He also knew enough (I am presuming from the same street telegraph) to know Indy was in trouble in the tavern with Belloq and quickly improvised his rescue plan. Like Marcus, his character was imbued with intelligence, wit and wisdom.

How do you figure he hadn't seen him? They never imply that once in the film.

Mickiana

Henry W Jones said:
How do you figure he hadn't seen him? They never imply that once in the film.

They don't show it. How do you figure he had seen him in between Marion's apparent death and seeing him rescued by the kids at the tavern? The conversation beside the truck sounds like them discussing it for the first time given that it only just happened.

Mickiana

Gotcha. Missed your point completely. I can imagine Sallah and Indy communicated by letter/telegram/etc occasionally and Sallah knew Indy and Marion did not get hitched and had actually split up. That is a reasonable enough presumption by the time LC happens. If Sallah didn't know, as Gear said he is discrete enough to not say anything.

S. Dakota Jones

While I'm not sure about the mis/no communication between the two, I was always more concerned with Sallah's indifference, "I know, Life goes on Indy! Here is the proof!".

:whip: