Ain't this a kick in the head?

S

Shipwreck

Recently, I received an email from, Kuo-Yu Liang of Ballantine/Del Rey Books, concerning a question I had of future Indy novels. Here is the response. DO NOT think that they have heard the last of me. WE MUST DEMAND more novels.

Dear [Shipwreck],

I'm the Associate Publisher and your question was forwarded to me. Ballantine Books have no plans on doing any new Indiana Jones books. We had published novelizations and spin-off fiction to the first two films, and then Bantam Books continued with a line of spin-off fiction. A 4th movie has not been announced, it is only an Internet rumor. If it ever does gets produced we will certainly be interested in doing books.

If you have any concerns or questions I urge you to contact Kuo-Yu Liang at the following address:

kliang@randomhouse.com

Shipwreck

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Too bad they don't know what they are talking about. There is going to be an Indy 4. It is not just another "Internet Rumor". It is too bad really, but as you said if we demand we will recive, (maybe).

S

Shipwreck

NO MAYBE...We must FIGHT!

...unslinging his whip, Indy snaps it forward... We WILL win this one. I REFUSE to stand down after all the hard work I have put in FOUR novels! I think we need to convince them that to deny future writers a chance to let the legend live on would be terribly wrong. Star Trek and Star Wars get their chance... let Indy have his. It is HE that kept the adventure going in peoples hearts.

Michaelson

Understood

That has been their standard answer since the "Secret of the Sphynx" book was released several years ago. They're only going to tell you what they want to, so don't get to bent out of shape. If they said that they were considering more titles, that would lead to adding credence to the rumors of the 4th movie coming out, and that's not in their realm to say, so their best plan of action is either deny, or not reply. Hang in there. Patience is the key. Regards. Michaelson

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
What ticks me off most is that they are treating us like dirt. First acting like we don't know what they are talking about when it comes to what books they have published. Second is that despite OFFICAL annoucement of Indy4 they call it an "Internet Rumor" (its far from a farce I'll guarantee that one). And third, duh, of course they'll do the Indy 4 books 'cuz they hold the contract that shows no sign of ending.
Let us press in hard on this one, get them to relent. Prehaps they just need to see the desire and want for more. My suggestion...eMail & write as "common" folk asking for more Indy books.

Michaelson

Ah yes...

...the old "squeaky wheel gets the grease" routine. (grins) Actually, you're probably dead on target. Unless there's a track record of requests for titles, why SHOULD they bother printing any more? From what I've seen, and have been told by Rob MacGregor (one of their past Indy novel writers, for those who slept since yesterday (grins)), they do indeed keep saying they'll move forward with whatever regarding Indy titles AFTER the novelization of Indy IV, IF and WHEN it comes out. After that, then they'll just see what happens. Regards. Michaelson

Indy Smith

Aaron and Shipwreck...

Perhaps you should tell this guy to watch the interviews with Lucas, Speilberg and Ford at the end of the Last Crusade because they mention a fourth film on those videos.

And I noticed an Indiana Jones 4 website on the net once, a while back in 1999 when I first got in to the net. When was it first discovered that Lucas wanted to make a 4th film? Can anyone tell me? Aaron? Gilles V? Anyone?

Indy 4

I'm with with Shipwreck, lets demand more Indy books!

I cannot believe the publisher would just brush off future Indy stories. Indy fans deserve more stories as much as all the Star Wars fans. It they have the rights to publishing Indy novels why not go ahead and do it. As for the Indy 4 rumor comment, where has that guy been over the last year. It is not an internet rumor as mentioned before. Someone needs to tell him to pick up the most recent Star Wars:Insider the offical Lucasfilm magazine. It states in a HUGE paragragh Indy 4 will most likely be made.
Shipwreck, keep sending letters in to Ballantine, I be sending mine to. I hope other fans here will do the same.

Shipwreck

Moderator Emeritus
Actually

This is still their current stance. They do not want to publish any further Indy books, including an adaptation. Unless Lucas intervenes, it ain't happening. They made that very clear to me. Sorry.