New product out already NOT listed on Amazon

walker

I was in my local Borders the other day and noticed one of the first new Indy book products has hit shelves. It's from Scholastic and is a hardcover collection of new young adult adaptations of the first three movies.

The individual adaptations in this collection (written by Ryder Windham and Suzanne Weyn) are listed on Amazon, but the collection is not. The individual titles aren't due out until May 1st, so this is very strange.

And here's something even more interesting: There's a new prologue added to Temple of Doom that takes place prior to the scene in Club Obi Wan. In it we discover that the diamond Indy is trying to obtain is, in fact, the "peacock's eye" from the Young Indy TV adventure of the same name.

Though I suspect this isn't something Lucas had in mind back in 1984, it does help make more sense out of why Indy would want it (I was always confused about that bit - wouldn't Indy rather have the remains of Nurhachi than a diamond of no obvious historical or archaeological worth?).

In any case, if you can find the hardcover collection of these new adaptations, you may be picking up something that is a low print run treasure. Grab one while you can.
walker

metalinvader

Thanks for the news!That is awesome that the peacock's eye was added!Any mention of Remy?

What section was it in and what was the price?

walker

It was in the kids section of the store. Intermediate reader hardcovers, I believe. I could be wrong, but I think the price was $14.95 or so. Maybe $20.

No mention of Remy that I caught during my quick browse of the chapter, but he may be in there. If so, it's a brief mention at best.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Ugh. That change actually does bother me, at least in my first reaction. It's still a mercenary move, but not to the same degree, and it was just such a darker thing for Indy to do. I like his redemption plot in LC a lot, and for that very reason, but the reason it works is because of the things like the diamond/Nurhachi matter that came before.

oki9Sedo

What a terrible change. What is it with George Lucas and regretting making his characters do bad things? First Han Solo shooting second, now this.

What next, will they change that poor cocktail waitress Indy frantically punches in Club Obi-Wan into Pat Roach?

Last edited:

Adamwankenobi

walker said:
And here's something even more interesting: There's a new prologue added to Temple of Doom that takes place prior to the scene in Club Obi Wan. In it we discover that the diamond Indy is trying to obtain is, in fact, the "peacock's eye" from the Young Indy TV adventure of the same name.

YES!!!!!!!!!! (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) I see a trip to B&N in my future. ;)

Adamwankenobi

Oops, in the excitement I misread the name. :p

oki9Sedo said:
What a terrible change. What is it with George Lucas and regretting making his characters do bad things? First Han Solo shooting second, now this.
In the "Treasure of the Peacock's Eye" episode, Indy was searching for the diamond simply because he and Remy wanted to be rich. Bronislaw Malinowski talked him out of it, asking him which is more important: going on a wild goose chase for a diamond, or going to college to become an archaeologist. So Indy decided to quit the search.

I'm guessing that when Indy later discovered that Lao Che had the Peacock's Eye, he felt compelled to finish the "quest" he had been on years earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arab Swordsman

I just got mine at the local Borders. They had them in the back with the kids books and in the front with the new release kids books.

indy34

Ah this explains it I bought Ryder Windham collectors edition of the 3 movies just yesterday for $20AU and I didn't really like the way it was written so far probably because it was written for kids. But I still think I did good getting It for $20AU when the adult one was about $40AU I think:)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Actually the adult version I got for $30. I also have got the kids version (so much for a Borders exclusive, I got it from Angus & Robertson's).

indy34

Violet Indy said:
Actually the adult version I got for $30. I also have got the kids version (so much for a Borders exclusive, I got it from Angus & Robertson's).
the adult one at boarders was $40 I'm pretty sure but I got the kids version at Angus & Robinson too:hat:

indy34

It's funny I read the raven bar scene last night and they've cut out all the drinking and only mentions that Marion won some money for a drinking game the rest is cut out:rolleyes: