Ark of the Covenant

WillKill4Food

Lord_glavin said:
well, in the english translation its called a box, which has some very large differences from the originals
maybe in the original hebrew the 'box' might have a broader meaning, like container
According to http://www.jewfaq.org/torah.htm:
"The scrolls are kept in a cabinet in the synagogue called an "ark," as in Ark of the Covenant, not as in Noah's Ark. The words are different and unrelated in Hebrew. Noah's ark (and also the ark that Moses was placed in) are called in Hebrew teyvat (ship). I was taught that the "Ark" of the Covenant and the ark in synagogue are an acrostic of "aron kodesh" (holy cabinet), but others have told me that it is merely an archaic English word derived from the Latin arca (cabinet)."

robweiner8

I read Parfitt's book. Interesting travelogue but the history is a little shaky. I don't think the Lemba's ngoma or wooden drum is the Ark. Too many leaps of faith on the author's part. There is some very interesting stuff in the book 'Lost Ark of the Covenant' however. Like the fact they studied the DNA of all priests in Jerusalem claiming to be descended from the original priests and found 80% had a common ancestor in the time of Moses/Aaron. Also, this common ancestor/ DNA pattern was found among the Lemba priests! I'd recommend his book but not for the Ark conclusion. :D

WillKill4Food

robweiner8 said:
I read Parfitt's book. Interesting travelogue but the history is a little shaky. I don't think the Lemba's ngoma or wooden drum is the Ark. Too many leaps of faith on the author's part. There is some very interesting stuff in the book 'Lost Ark of the Covenant' however. Like the fact they studied the DNA of all priests in Jerusalem claiming to be descended from the original priests and found 80% had a common ancestor in the time of Moses/Aaron. Also, this common ancestor/ DNA pattern was found among the Lemba priests! I'd recommend his book but not for the Ark conclusion. :D
Thanks, I'll try to find that book. I agree that his conclusions are a little far-fetched but that his research is good. Perhaps his ambition took over when he said that the drum was the Ark.

WillKill4Food

Mickiana said:
It's no use even thinking that the one that the Ethiopians claim to have is The Ark. There might have been several arks around just to keep everyone happy. There were 12 tribes of Israel, weren't there? They probably had a production line for it! Seriously though, unless scientists from the west could analyze their ark with carbon dating (providing they even have one), we're only fumbling in the dark. Strange how everyone wants it, isn't it? Here we have a christian sect laying claim to ownership of an ancient jewish relic which has already passed through how many hands through the millenia (if it even exists or existed) and if it were to be around today there would be all types of contention for it. I wish it were found just so that we all could see that it has no mystical powers but is just a relic from an ancient race and that it held only symbolic power.
No, each tribe did not have an Ark. According to the Bible, anyone that was not a Levite (the tribe of Levi was the tribe of priests) was killed when touching the Ark.
Why scientists from the West? Why not eastern scientists?
And if Ark were found, it's lack of power would not prove anything to anyone, except followers of Judaism. According to Christianity, the Ark would have become powerless sometime around the Resurrection.

Quest For The Lost Ark

Channel 4 (U.K) Monday 14th April, 9pm. Interesting looking documentary! Professor Tudor Parfitt continues his 20 year quest that has taken him across the Middle East, Arabia and Africa.

Check it out.

The Man

herr gruber said:
Channel 4 (U.K) Monday 14th April, 9pm. Interesting looking documentary! Professor Tudor Parfitt continues his 20 year quest that has taken him across the Middle East, Arabia and Africa.

Check it out.

Thanks for the heads-up. Sounds interesting.

Ska

Watched this (I'm assuming this is the same show) a few weeks ago on the History Channel.

Not too bad...although towards the end Parfitt comes up with some crazy ideas about what the Ark is/might have been.

Worth a watch, though. He does mention Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Well of Souls a few times.

bonoferox

I thought it was an interesting idea, but the idea that the Ark of he Covenant was nothing more than a drum was just a little weird.
It was kind of like when they did the show on Noah's Ark and claimed the story may have originated from a small flood with a guy transporting beer and a couple of animals on his boat in a storm that lasted a few days. It could be true, but it's not nearly as fantastic.

Gear

I think I've actually seen that already. I discovered the lost educational film of the B.B.C.! IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!

The Man

I wonder if Discovery Channel or National Geographic will show any docs on crystal skulls in the next month? I'm still pretty ignorant on the whole phenomenon.

bonoferox

I would assume they'd have at least something. I'm still kind of crossing my fingers for a History Channel Indiana Jones week where they just go into real life inspirations for his quests (one day would be the ark, one would be the grail, one would be something vaguely similar to Sankara, etc.)

The Man

bonoferox said:
I would assume they'd have at least something. I'm still kind of crossing my fingers for a History Channel Indiana Jones week where they just go into real life inspirations for his quests (one day would be the ark, one would be the grail, one would be something vaguely similar to Sankara, etc.)

The History Channel has shown a lot of docs about the Grail and The Knights Templar.

The Man

Just a quick heads-up: later on tonight, around 11:30, Channel 4 are screening a documentary called Interview With A Poltergeist. Not positive, but I think I saw pieces of it before: chilling stuff. Check the TV schedule for the exact time.

inky_skin

Indiana Jones: The True Story (Documentary)
Time - 21:00 - 22:00 (1 hour long)
When - Wednesday 16th April on Five

Documentary from award-winning director David Hickman exploring how the story of Indiana Jones was inspired by the real exploits of Roy Chapman Andrews - an American explorer and naturalist. Andrews was best known for a series of perilous expeditions to the Far East that resulted in a number of important discoveries - much like the star of Spielberg's famous movie series. (New, Subtitles)

Looks like it might be an ongoing series - 4 weeks (Ark, Sankara Stones, Holy Grail, Crystal Skulls ?) running up to the release of the new movie...

G-Man

inky_skin said:
Looks like it might be an ongoing series - 4 weeks (Ark, Sankara Stones, Holy Grail, Crystal Skulls ?) running up to the release of the new movie...
Unfortunately not, it's actually different documentaries about the inspiration behind fictional characters. Indy this week, James Bond next...

Raiders of Clay

Lost Ark of the Covenant

Hey,
My name is Clay. I am in high school and I am planning on being a archaeoogist. Right now I am reseaching the Lost Ark of the Covenant. I believe it is still under the Temple Mount in Jerusalem. As I see it, the ark was not allowed to be taken from the Holy of Holies, and only certain people were allowed to even look at the Ark. So when the Babylonians attacked they hid the Ark under the Temple Mount where it still is today. Well, thats my theory on the Lost Ark of the Covenant. I will see if I can do something about my theory when I am out of college. I would love to hear any theories you guys have.

The_Raiders

Hey clay (sry didn't mean to ryme), that sounds very interesting, I heard that there was a Christian archeologist who had found some biblicle relics, and he was investiagating a site (I can't recall where) but it was suposedly the site where Jesus' crucifiction took place, but underneathe the site, the archeologist and his partner found two chambers, the entered the first one, and the entrance to the second one was too small for the archeologist (sry I don't know his name) so he sent his partner in and all of a sudden after his partner entered he came running back out screaming, the left the chambers and the partner just kept running, when they cought up to him he was like way to terrified to say anything. The archeologist dies afew years later, I don't think anyone else knows where this site was, could whatrver the parner saw have been the "death angels", I don't know if this story is true or not, my aunt heard it on a history station on the radio, or maybe on the history channel, but it's interesting still.

Pale Horse

Staff member
The_Raiders said:
...and he was investiagating a site (I can't recall where) but it was suposedly the site where Jesus' crucifiction took place, but underneathe the site, the archeologist and his partner found two chambers, the entered the first one....

Sounds similar to the stuff of Ron Wyatt.