Ace Ventura Vs. Indiana Jones/10 things thread

Indy's brother

It occured to me out of the clear blue that Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and Raiders of the Lost Ark are eerily similar!

1. Both open with a Third Act.
2. Indy Quests for lost artifacts, Ace quests for lost animals.
3. Indy uses the head piece to the Staff of Ra to locate the Ark, Ace uses a rare cut amber stone from a 1984 AFC Championship Ring to locate Snowflake.
4. Indy constantly thwarts the attempts of Nazis, Ace constantly thwarts the attempts of Loohoo--sehers.
5. Indy's main adversary is a more evil archaeologist. Ace's main adversary is a more evil detective.
6. Both have tall, iconic headgear.
7. Both are masters of disguise.
8. Both have a monkey as a confidant (same kind of monkey?).
9. Indy gets a bullet in the arm while driving in a chase scene, Ace catches one in his teeth.
10. In the end, Indy and Ace both walk home without the quested item, but get to keep their female partner.

Marion Ravenwood=Melissa Robinson (Courtney Cox)
Sallah=Emilio (Tone Lõc)
Imam=Woodstock (geek with tow pair of glasses that tracks greenpeace (or something))

I'm sure I've missed more comparisons, so feel free to add some more! Also, if you can find a film that has 10 things in common with and Indy flick, document it here in this thread!

jamesdude

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jHsN6PqyG1U&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jHsN6PqyG1U&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
You know this kind of list fits a bit on the second Ace Ventura movie (which happens to be set in an African jungle and savannah type setting).

The second one starts with a 3rd act, has the monkey for a companion (yes, it's the same species as the one from Raiders, they use that kind because it's easily trainable), and he quests after a lost animal (in the case of the 2nd film, it's the god that the tribe worships). Also he faces his animal phobia to get to his prize, like Indy and the snake pit.

Indy's brother

After mulling over Rocket's "Crystal Skull or Young Frankenstein?" thread, I see that I perhaps approached this thread incorrectly by asking for more movies that had this much in common with ROTLA. Perhaps a more accurate question would be, are there any more similarities that you can find.....?

For example, Both Ace and Indy must traverse an expanse of water on the final leg of their journey to complete their quests. Ace in a raft, Indy in/on a sub.

Upon the discovery of each sought-after prize, each is in proximity of what at first appears to be a beautiful woman, but is then revealed to be a hideous vision, abhorrent to the natural world as we know it.

Indy's brother said:
After mulling over Rocket's "Crystal Skull or Young Frankenstein?" thread, I see that I perhaps approached this thread incorrectly by asking for more movies that had this much in common with ROTLA. Perhaps a more accurate question would be, are there any more similarities that you can find.....?
Can't believe I missed this thread! Last night I bumped the first one I ever tried: Temple of Doom or Conan the Barbarian

That one was a work in progress!

I'll have to check out Ace Ventura again...:hat:

...come on Netflix...

Indy's brother

In the opening 3rd act, Indy retrieves an item, and is chased by the rightful owners, making his getaway in a motorized vehicle. Same for Ace, but with a singular owner.

Sgt. Aguado=Toht

Chewbacca Jones

Let's not forget the incongruous phobias. A man who treks around in jungles and grew up in Utah that's afraid of snakes = a man who loves ALL animals (even feeding baby birds with his own... yuk), but is afraid of bats!