Indiana Jones' Fedora Hat Question....

Explorer1074

I understand the styles of Jones' Fedora hats changed a bit on each film. I was wondering if anyone knew what the actual measurements of an "authentic" Indiana Jones hat are? I am mainy interested in the brim measurements.

There are literally tons of Fedora hats on the market but I wanted to get one that was the most authentic to Indiana Jones at a reasonable price. Thanks. :whip:

Chewbacca Jones

To get that answer, you'll need to pick a specific movie. The hat varied slightly from film to film.

To be frank, the best prices on the most accurate Indy hats can be gotten from Penman Hats, including the Henry, which is a factory Adventurebilt, distributed by Penman. Either the Henry (which is very Crystal Skull like) or a custom rabbit felt lid will be (or rather can be by request) a replica of any of the four hats at a very good price. Just be prepared to wait if you go custom.

If you want a lower price-point, or just can't wait - the Akubra Federation IV from hatsdirect.com is the next best choice, and has about the same dimensions as the Crystal Skull hat. It's not as qood a hat as the Henry or the Penman customs, but as factory hats go it's a ripping good deal.

I own and love two Penman customs as well as Federations. You really can't go wrong either way.

Goodeknight

Explorer1074 said:
I understand the styles of Jones' Fedora hats changed a bit on each film. I was wondering if anyone knew what the actual measurements of an "authentic" Indiana Jones hat are? I am mainy interested in the brim measurements.

There are literally tons of Fedora hats on the market but I wanted to get one that was the most authentic to Indiana Jones at a reasonable price. Thanks. :whip:

Well, you need to do a little of your own research first. Look first, as questions later. Start at IndyGear.com. There's a massive page about the hat, and at the top are the dimensions for the Raiders hat.

http://www.indygear.com/igfedora.html

Then go to the very first post in this forum for a good overview:
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=12881

According to IndyGear:

The specifications for the actual hat Ford wore are reportedly as follows:
Size: 7 ¼ (size 58 European)
Crown: 5 ½ (5.5) inches
Brim (front & back): 2 ¾ (2.75) inches
Brim (sides): 2 5/8 (2.625) inches
Ribbon: 1 ½ (1.5) inches (39mm)

micsteam

I have had in the past two Peters Bros.(out of Texas) Raiders replicas between 2003 and 2006, vast difference in the two as I believe they are handing some of the hat making to the son (first one excellent and durable but slightly too small and the second ordered later in 2006 was poorly shaped). My third, which was the charm, I ordered on recommendation from Indy Gear and other websites at the time was Steve Delk's Adventurebilt (Pennman came on board later, it's Delk that stated it all) Indy fedora. He requested which film I wanted the hat modeled after, I specified Raiders. At the time I had no idea that Delk was contracted to supply the fedoras for the movie. Anyway to say the least, I waited longer than specified but let me tell you it was well worth the wait as the hat it is an exact reproduction of the Raiders hat, fits impecably, is well made and quite durable but costly at $360 at the time ($600.00 now from Delk direct) but frankly well, really really, worth it !! Email me for any help I can help with.