Blade Runner

Cole

Stoo said:
This Thursday, I'll be at a Visual Effects symposium where FX wizard, Doug Trumbull, will be speaking. There are a couple of questions I wish to ask but if anyone has some good ones re: "Blade Runner", let me know before July 07.
Let us know how it goes.

I definitely prefer the Director's Cut, just because the special effects/quality are cleaner, modern and I prefer it without the narraration. Scott also fixed up a few inconsistencies which is much appreciated.

As far as the whole "Is Deckard a Replicant?" question.........the best response is this: the question is interesting, the answer is stupid.

Personally, I prefer Deckard to be a human because it makes him relatable for the audience..........but the question that the Director's Cut now clearly implies about Deckard is interesting.

I know this was a point of intense disagreement between Ford and Scott while making the film.

And as a side note.........Rutger Hauer pretty much steals the movie in the last 20-30 minutes. Ford barely even has any lines. I think Ford said in the special features that his experience working with Hauer was one of his best professional experiences or something? I don't know, but I'm sure it's something fans of 'Blade Runner' will appreciate.

I always enjoyed 'Blade Runner' at arm's length - amazing that it made AIF's top 100 movies a few years ago.

Stoo

Cole said:
Let us know how it goes.
The symposium was very good. Three guys from WETA were there and gave great presentations on the effects in "Avatar" and "District 9". Douglas Trumbull's segment suffered from a technical setback but it was still a pleasure. He spoke for almost 2 hours about many aspects of his career (past & present) with an in-depth look at a new process he is developing. Intriguing stuff...

Guess what he said about "Blade Runner"? NOTHING apart from mentioning that if he were to re-do the effects in the film today he would still use a miniature for the Tyrell building and briefly explained his reasoning. There were a few clips in his demo reel but that's it. Why? Before the Q&A he said:

"People ask me all the time about 2001 and Blade Runner and I'm tired of talking about them so if you want to know more, read Cinefex magazine." Bwa-ha!:D (I have the "Cinefex" book on "Blade Runner" and it's excellent.)

I asked 2 questions and got his autograph afterwards. Even though I've met my share of celebrities, he was only the 2nd person I've ever asked for an autograph (the other being Ray Harryhausen). A colleague of mine was one of the speakers in the morning session and he invited me for lunch with all the other presenters but Trumbull wasn't there!:(

Anyway, here are some photos of a true visual effects pioneer:

DougTrumbull_01.jpg

DougTrumbull_02.jpg

DougTrumbull_03.jpg

phantom train

Blade Runner is definitely one of my all-time favorite sci-fi films; Visually stunning, moody, dark, well-acted, and moving - the futuristic world it creates is amazing, and IMHO it's far superior to many of the much more recent, CGI heavy sci-fi/futuristic films.

What's especially interesting about the film is the life it's had beyond the 1982 theatrical release - though it may not have done well on it's initial release, over the years it's definitely had a huge cult following amongst sci-fi fans. And, as far as I know, it's been released theatrically at least 3 times (1982, 1992, and 2007). Though I missed the first two releases, I also was fortunate enough to see "The Final Cut" in the theatre during a limited theatrical release back in October 2007.

In December 2007, I got the much-anticipated 3-disk DVD set, which included several incarnations of the film (including the 1982 theatrical version, the 1992 "Director's Cut" version, the 2007 "Final Cut", and I believe at least one other version). This is by far hands down the best DVD release I've ever seen for a single film - not only were most/all of the different versions of the movie available, but there were numerous documentaries, interviews, etc. which were extremely comprehensive and informative.

Personally, out of all these versions I prefer the original 1982 version with H. Ford's voice-over. Though I know some fans don't like this (and prefer the later versions without the voice-over), I like it because not only does it give us some insight on what the Decard character is thinking, but it's an intentional throw-back to the old pulp detective books (and movies) from the '30's - '50's.

TheMutt92

Montana Smith said:
I'd like to see the story continue.

So, not a reboot, hopefully. Please, not a reboot! :eek:

Maybe a cameo from Harrison, just before his own expiration date (Deckard's, not Harrison's! - double :eek: )

Alcon doesn't have the rights to a remake. They can only prequelize or sequelize it.

phantom train

Interesting news, I guess - however, I don't have any real interest in a sequel/prequel (or whatever this will be) to Blade Runner - the film stands own it's own very well & I don't see the point of making another film.

That being said, I would still probably go see this since I was such a huge fan of the first movie....

Montana Smith

PROMETHEUS Easter Egg Ties The Movie To BLADE RUNNER

Is Ridley Scott planning on a crossover between his other classic Sci-fi movie and the universe featured in Alien? It seems possible given the following Easter Egg from the U.K. steelbook release of Prometheus..

Mark "RorMachine" Cassidy - 10/6/2012

The following is a memo from Peter Weyland (Guy Pearce) in which he talks about his "mentor and long-departed competitor". No names are mentioned, but it's pretty obvious to any fan of Ridley Scott's Blade Runner that he talking about Eldon Tyrell, head of the Tyrell corporation, who were responsible for creating the Replicant's minds and memories..

prometheus-easter-egg.jpeg

This could just be a little nod to the fans of course, but it might also be something else - we know Scott is working on a sequel to Blade Runner, could he be planning on tying that universe - onscreen - into the one he has created with his Alien (kinda) prequel, Prometheus? Only time will tell, but if that was to happen, how would you guys feel about it?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=68276

Alien...Predator...Blade Runner...

The next step would be Terminator with the T-800 modelled on Dutch.

It's a small universe.

Montana Smith said:
Alien...Predator...Blade Runner...
It's a small universe.
Really what is the difference between a replicant and a synthetic? Organic v Synthetic?

Didn't Cameron already retroactively draw the Teminator connection catagorizing Ash as a Hyperdyne Systems model 120-A/2?

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Really what is the difference between a replicant and a synthetic? Organic v Synthetic?

Didn't Cameron already retroactively draw the Teminator connection catagorizing Ash as a Hyperdyne Systems model 120-A/2?

He did?

Hyperdyne or Cyberdyne? A rival company?

Now for a chronology that'll fit all four storylines...

KarmicCurse

Blade Runner Blu-ray

Hello. I want to upgrade to blu-ray for Blade Runner, one of my favorite movies, but I'm not clear on whether the new 30th anniversary edition blu-ray (with the paper unicorn on the cover) contains all the bonus content from the 2007 4-disc DVDs.

I tried a few review sites but they are contradictory. Some say all the content has been carried over, but then there is no mention either in reviews or on the new package itself of the contents from disc 4 of the DVD release. These were a few featurettes on Syd Mead, the restoration, and I think a few deleted scenes.

I know I pretty much asked the same thing about the Indy blu-ray box on the Indy board. But I actually do watch special features, these were well made, and I would like to sell the DVD box if the new blu-ray box contains everything.

Thanks.

kongisking

I own the big four-disc Final Cut DVD set, but haven't gotten around to the cuts other than Director's (which is the first version I saw, and loved) and Final (which is my favorite, mostly because it fixes the small gaffes---pun intended--- left in the Director's). And I love the fact that even though Final is the canonical version, the others are still able to be viewed in case you're crazy and like one of them more. Lucas could learn a thing or two from Mr. Scott...;)