IMAX / Digital IMAX / Theater Screen Formats

There is some debate / controversy regarding IMAX branding and its worth noting the recent Raiders IMAX screenings will not be presented on the large screen illustrated:

375961_459839007383418_1827105351_n.jpg

This image inspired the thread

Have we been scammed by IMAX? Is this a classic bait and switch. Is the Digital IMAX Screen worth the same price the original IMAX charged? Is the moniker LieMAX deserved?

RaiderMitch said:
It will be letterboxed on the IMAX screen :( just found out from theatre

Ummm...yes. Theatrical films are shot with a rectangular frame. Imax is shot with a much more square frame. The only way to fill an Imax screen would be to crop the film -- and I can guarantee you Spielberg would never allow that (basically creating a pan-n-scan version).

That's why Hollywood films (such as DARK KNIGHT RISES) shoot their Imax portion with real Imax cameras. If you pay attention during the film it switches from letterbox to full-screen depending on the scene.

I spoke with an Imax manager and he explained that only film-based Imax theatres can offer the 'real' Imax experience (50 feet or taller). The smaller ones are digital based (no film) and are simply offering a larger screen experience over regular movie theaters. I saw DARK KNIGHT RISES at both versions (48 hours apart) - there was NO comparison. The film-based 50 foot presentation was amazing.

All this said I'm still looking forward to seeing ANY version of RAIDERS on ANY big screen after so many years!